Dec 23, 2004, 01:33 PM
Thread OP

Building a plane from scratch

Hi everyone!
I'm a total newbie in this field...I'd like to build an RC Plane, could anyone guide me with it? I've searched the net for a tutorial but I'm not getting one, so I'm entirely dependent on you guys, so please help me out!
A basic model which I could control with a radio would do...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2004, 01:47 PM
characters welcome!
Welcome to RCGroups, karpar!

The Builders Workshop would be the place for this request. I will move it there for you.

mw
Dec 23, 2004, 01:52 PM

Oh boy

You are in for a treat...

You prolly must answer few question first before you can begin.

1. Have you ever flown an RC plane? This narrows down what type of plane you will most likely need to build to have some chance of sucess.

2. Do you have any components, Radio, motor, battery, ESC? If you have none than you need to get them and the choice depends on what type of plane you want to fly. If you have some of these things, they will also determine what you can fly. Small motor= small plane

3. Have you ever build a model plane or any other model vehicle before? If you can't glue two pieces straight together to save your life, maybe you should not try building a plane at all.

Hope this help. Search this site. there are many build threads for trainers and parkflyers which are easy to build and fly. There is really nothing to it except for one thing. Most begginers want too much too soon and the only thing that happens is that their rather expensive new toy makes a very nice hole in the ground.

Cheers,
J
Dec 23, 2004, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Ok, time for you to get a shock...I've never flown a plane before and I don't have any of the components you mentioned...I'm a perfect beginner with a clean slate! Guys, fill something in it!!! And, I'm really not looking for something that can work wonders or go at the speed of light! All I'm asking for is a plane that I can control with my radio! By what I've read from some of the posts, the Tiny seems to be a viable option, what do you think?
Thanks for that quick reply...
Dec 23, 2004, 03:22 PM
I'd get something simple like a SlowStick and learn to fly with that. About 3 planes later you might get to a Tiny....small aerobatic planes are NOT easy to fly.

BTW I'm not sure what you understand by buildin "from scratch" but we usually mean building your own design starting from uncut wood, foam, bits of wire, covering etc. Is that really what you want to do ? If so you need to have built a few kits and then some more from other people's designs and plans before you get to that stage.

Steve
Dec 23, 2004, 09:24 PM
If you really want to build from scratch, I would reccomend building simple chuck gliders, and moving your way up to rubber powered free flight models, or electric free flight models. It will give you alot of the basic skills in building and trimming a model, and can be just as enjoyable as RC.
Dec 24, 2004, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
You guys seem to be really good at convincing people! I guess I'll start out with a kit too...any objections to Easy Star? I really appreciate you guys answering my queries...thanks a bunch!!!
Dec 24, 2004, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpar
You guys seem to be really good at convincing people! I guess I'll start out with a kit too...
The only way you'll learn everything "we all" already know is to make all the same mistakes "we all" already made.

It isn't necessary, and you can progress a lot faster if you take the middle of the road on the spectrum of advice you'll get here and in other forums.

An old adage says that if three different people tell you your bright idea is a bad one, chances are at least one of 'em is right.
Dec 26, 2004, 09:55 AM
the easystar is the Perfect choice as far as i'm concerned

Quick Reply