Sep 09, 2018, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Announce

Central Mass F3K/DLG Monthly Fun Fly 2019- See first post for dates

Update: Let's start this up again for 2019...
  • Saturday, April 27th, 2019 starting at 10:00am -- cancelled due to weather, 30kt winds is a bit much.
  • May - Sunday, May 5th. 10am. -- in the books, several hours of rain-free flying. When is spring going to arrive?
  • June - Sunday, June 30th, 10am -- cancelled due to thunderstorms
  • July - TBD

----------------------
There are not a lot of F3K specific gatherings in this area so I thought I would see about organizing an informal fun fly at a location that is reasonably central to a number of folks in Eastern/Western Mass and Southern NH.

So, bring your DLG/HLGs to Dexter Drumlin Reservation on the next date listed above. This is an informal event, not an organized contest, there's no entry fee, and it doesn't require AMA membership, etc.

About the site
Dexter Drumlin is a 38 acre field open to the public, but mostly visited by the occasional dog walker. The site is almost entirely one large gently sloping hill with great 360 views --- you can launch in any direction and get an extra 40-50' for free . It can get windy as it's wide open, but that provides some interesting slope/thermal conditions. It's harvested for hay, so depending on the cutting schedule most of the field is varying lengths of tall grass, but there's always a wide central mowed path that can be used for launching.

note: If there's been recent rain the path up can be on the muddy side, so take that into account when selecting footwear.

Directions here
Last edited by cjpace; Jun 30, 2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Updating for 2019
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2018, 01:33 PM
Rick Roberts
This looks like a nice place to fly hand launch gliders. The date doesn't work for me but I'll subscribe to this thread for future updates.

Rick
Sep 09, 2018, 06:41 PM
I MIGHT be able to rearrange things to go, but I'm excited to see the announcement. Will have to make sure I have 1 or more dlg's ready before then, just in case.

Might be a good idea to put the announcement in the "Sailplane Events" sub-forum as well. Also might be a good idea to include DLG and HLG in the title. I expect some casual flyers might not even know what F3K is.
Sep 10, 2018, 10:03 AM
I haven't flown my DLG in a long time. May be time to dust it off and charge its RX battery...
Sep 10, 2018, 10:52 AM
I can't make this date, but would be excited if this became a regular event. Thanks for putting this out there!
Sep 10, 2018, 11:17 AM
What's wrong with heavy?
Would absolutely love to but will be out of town then.

Dennis
Sep 10, 2018, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Good to hear from folks even if you can't make this date to help gauge interest!
Sep 10, 2018, 03:18 PM
Rick Roberts
cj - is the site friendly for 3m and 4m sailplanes with electric motors...i.e. F5J?

Rick
Sep 10, 2018, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwroberts
cj - is the site friendly for 3m and 4m sailplanes with electric motors...i.e. F5J?

Rick
I think it would be ok. Someone also asked me about slope... I don't think it's ideal for that as the hill is fairly gradual, but I've seen people slope fly some pretty tiny landscape features, so I'm sure someone that knew what they were doing could work it.
Sep 10, 2018, 06:03 PM
Maarten
Great idea. Wish I could attend.
I am busy that weekend.
Hopefully, we get at least a couple of F3k gatherings here in New England.
Maybe even a contest.....
Sep 12, 2018, 03:21 PM
Looks like I'm out. The DLG is dead with no flight battery voltage. The last RX pack bit the dust. I think I may end up a Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride on the motorbike. New packs on order so keep me in the loop.
Sep 14, 2018, 10:08 AM
David Eddy (Dave from CT)
Sounds like a great place to fly. I am tied up that day but would be interested for a future fun fly.

Dave (in Maine)
Sep 14, 2018, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
sounds good, I figure I'll put together another date or two before it gets too cold based on the interest here even though most folks can't make in next weekend. Nice to to know the MA location still works despite that fact that you seem to be from FL, CT, and ME!
Sep 14, 2018, 10:30 AM
David Eddy (Dave from CT)
My planes are in FL right now, but I plan to bring them north when springtime rolls around. Thanks for the comeback!

Dave (in ME, and FL and in between too)
Sep 14, 2018, 03:26 PM
From a CYA point of view, you may want to require AMA membership. This not only covers the flyer, but also somewhat covers the land owner in regards to liability issues that may arise from your flying model aircraft on their property.

Quick Reply