Sep 06, 2018, 09:11 PM
What is life without boats?
Thread OP
Discussion

Billings Port of Rotterdam kit found

Since I don't have enough kits already, I just bought another one.

It is a Billings, and it is rare. It is also old... I think it is from the 1980's... I found basically nothing about it online- one posting in RC Groups, and one picture of the real boat. The kit is complete, or at least looks to be complete. It is a very comprehensive kit - has the props, shafts, stuffing tubes and even brass dog bones to go to the motors. It is a dual prop model, and a hovercraft (of sorts). It should be a very interesting build...

Wish me luck!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2018, 10:25 AM
Old kits can be worth a lot of money, and, of course, are getting rarer and rarer. Soon individual ones will be gone altogether - this one may be the last of its type.

Before I make such a kit, I tend to photocopy the instructions and all the parts, or draw around them. That way, I maintain a record of what the kit was like, and I or someone else can replicate it if necessary. Sometimes I might make the boat from the drawings rather than use the original wood....
Sep 08, 2018, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
Old kits can be worth a lot of money, and, of course, are getting rarer and rarer. Soon individual ones will be gone altogether - this one may be the last of its type.

Before I make such a kit, I tend to photocopy the instructions and all the parts, or draw around them. That way, I maintain a record of what the kit was like, and I or someone else can replicate it if necessary. Sometimes I might make the boat from the drawings rather than use the original wood....
If it is a wood kit, I also do that (and send you a digital copy, Dodgy) but this one is an ABS vacuum formed hull, deck and superstructure. I will keep the instructions and plans pristine for future note- eventually someone somewhere will need them and I can share them for the cost of postage (once I am finished with them).

I love the old kits - nowadays all you find in the new kits is easy to build for the millennial crowd. This one is really unique- it has two turbines to build for the hover capability. Other than that, seems to be a typical Billings - well made, good accessories and horrible instructions! LOL
Sep 09, 2018, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon96
If it is a wood kit, I also do that (and send you a digital copy, Dodgy) ........ LOL
Much appreciated! The comment was really for the benefit of other readers, who may not have thought of recording data from old kits....
Sep 13, 2018, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Can anyone tell me what would be the proper motors for propulsion? In typical Billings style, the instructions suck... it clearly recommends an RS-380 for the turbines but nothing about the prop drive motors...
Jun 04, 2019, 05:48 AM

Billing Hover Boat update?

Hi, any update on this build? I've done the same and managed to find a complete kit, interested to see how you got on?
Aug 02, 2019, 04:32 AM
Me and a guy with a mustache
I believe I also have one of these kits. I bought it back in the 80's and forgot all about it. Now if I can only remember where it is...
Aug 02, 2019, 07:27 AM
Thread OP
Sorry folks... I should have updated when I completed it. I can tell you that the turbine system for the air absolutely sucks- I tossed it and just glued in some foam under the hull to keep it high in the water. I ended up using two high speed RS380's and 8 alkaline AA's for power to keep it light. I may play around with a 3S LIPO in the future...

It was an interesting build, and is a nice looking model when completed. I am still debating cutting out the windows but since there seems to be nothing online about the cabin I will probably just leave it as is.
Aug 02, 2019, 07:39 AM
Thread OP
I guess a picture is in order... LOL

Hmmm... can't seem to attach a jpg- getting "Error:Empty file upload result" message. Sorry...
Aug 02, 2019, 07:40 AM
Thread OP
Weird... my session had timed out despite having just logged in. Anyway, logged in again and here is the pic!
Aug 04, 2019, 01:26 AM
Me and a guy with a mustache
She looks great! Those windows are just begging to be opened up though...
I'll have to dig around to see if I can find mine.
Aug 04, 2019, 07:26 AM
Thread OP
It is a typical Billings Boat kit... great detail pieces but horrible instructions!

Quick Reply