May 26, 2019, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by apquack
I've read a few mentions of adding ballast, but nothing I can find on results. Have any of you done it? How much? Where have you set center of gravity? Trim tab setting with ballast?

I'm a newbie and still playing with location of batteries, trim adjustments, etc. From what I read down trim tends to scrub a lot of speed and I am wondering if ballast might tame the tendency to loose control without as much speed loss.

Edit: I guess in addition to knowing how much ballast, it would be good to know total battery weight.
couple things .

1-move lipos forward if you want better handling . you will sacrifice speed .
2- if you wanted a fast boat that stays planted you should have bought a pursuit or a different boat then this one
3-i dont think this was ever advertised as a graceful handling boat
4- this boat is made to go full on without worry of upsetting it (to a degree)

on crystal clear smooth water i think it would handle just fine . mine handled great on the lake when i had my lipos just a little forward .of course my best speed that way was 45mph .

since then i stopped worrying about handling and just go bash it .i keep the lipos all the way back . letting this thing fly off the water is where the fun is !
mine has flew off the water ,submarined,barrel rolled,360`d ,went under and popped up like a dolphin .
thats where its at with this boat ! just go enjoy it .

you want a boat that handles well ,buy one .this will probably never be it .
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2019, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me
couple things .

1-move lipos forward if you want better handling . you will sacrifice speed .
2- if you wanted a fast boat that stays planted you should have bought a pursuit or a different boat then this one
3-i dont think this was ever advertised as a graceful handling boat
4- this boat is made to go full on without worry of upsetting it (to a degree)

on crystal clear smooth water i think it would handle just fine . mine handled great on the lake when i had my lipos just a little forward .of course my best speed that way was 45mph .

since then i stopped worrying about handling and just go bash it .i keep the lipos all the way back . letting this thing fly off the water is where the fun is !
mine has flew off the water ,submarined,barrel rolled,360`d ,went under and popped up like a dolphin .
thats where its at with this boat ! just go enjoy it .

you want a boat that handles well ,buy one .this will probably never be it .

Since my last post I tried several things: [1] moved both batteries full forward [2] set left trim tab 1/16 inch below hull, right set 3/32 inch below hull [a little more on right to help with prop torque], added total of 2 3/4 oz. of ballast in bottoms of first and second compartments of battery tray. I tried different combinations of the above. I have also been using a sharpened and balanced stock prop, and as advised by Airdogge, sharpened the rudder and scuffed the rear portion of the hull with 600 grit.

I have a little different outlook on how I think the performance should be. Flipping out of control at the upper speeds is not my idea of a good time. I don't have anyone to race, but staying upright would seem to be the way to win. I'm not trying to start an argument on who is right, we just have different opinions.

Anyway, with all the above adjustments I can run a consistent 52-53 mph without becoming airborne and stay planted very well. I do let up a bit of throttle when crossing some wakes. Without the lower trim and ballast I was getting 57 mph, but it was very loose and prone to flipping. First run totally stock out-of-the-box with batteries placed mid tray and trim tabs even with hull I got 53 if I recall correctly, but control was iffy. So, the changes from the initial run have resulted in same speed with almost total control. I am on the waiting list for a Dasboata Supersonic prop. which should add some fun.
May 26, 2019, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdogge
which end is the bow? :d

lol
May 26, 2019, 02:50 PM
Hi, here in Brazil will begin the winter season, a boat with self righting helps a lot. Who bought this model is happy? With the propeller dasboat it runs at 65/70 MPH?
Is it necessary to insulate the boat cockpit with adhesive tape or just the screws are enough?
thanks
May 26, 2019, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosAC
Who bought this model is happy? With the propeller dasboat it runs at 65/70 MPH?
With my Supersonic prop my best is 73mph. My runs are consistently over 70mph every time it touches the water....So I guess you could say I'm pretty pleased with mine.

My Sonicwake 36 hits 73mph with blow over!! (3 min 49 sec)

Pro Boat "Sonicwake:" 36 hits 71mph with dasboata prop!! 10-19-18 (6 min 0 sec)
May 26, 2019, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
proboat sonicwake x645 prop parryville pa (9 min 2 sec)
May 26, 2019, 06:30 PM
Just Plane Nutts
71mph. That's amazingly fast for a plastic boat. I wonder how long the hull will hold up under that kind of pounding? Water feels rock-hard at 70mph.
May 26, 2019, 08:35 PM
71 impresses me!
May 29, 2019, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
71mph. That's amazingly fast for a plastic boat. I wonder how long the hull will hold up under that kind of pounding? Water feels rock-hard at 70mph.
Thanks DOGGe! No issues with mine yet...but I try to play with a boat setup somewhat decent and not run one ruthless just trying to get a high speed number tho....

Quote:
Originally Posted by apquack
71 impresses me!
Thanks man! I had to work for that. Some think you can "just put a prop on it" and expect those numbers.
May 30, 2019, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADRCER
With my Supersonic prop my best is 73mph. My runs are consistently over 70mph every time it touches the water....So I guess you could say I'm pretty pleased with mine.
I wanted to know if others run at that speed, I know about you. Before buying wanted the information of others, because it is difficult to buy a boat when only one person has 70/73mhp.
May 30, 2019, 06:37 PM

Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosAC
I wanted to know if others run at that speed, I know about you. Before buying wanted the information of others, because it is difficult to buy a boat when only one person has 70/73mhp.
Hi, I've hit 69 MPH with only 100 or so ft. of run area on the pond. I need to get to a larger spot and there's no doubt my SW sees the other side of 70 MPH...
May 30, 2019, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSPEED
Hi, I've hit 69 MPH with only 100 or so ft. of run area on the pond. I need to get to a larger spot and there's no doubt my SW sees the other side of 70 MPH...
Hi PBSPEED,

69 mph it's very good!
Was it with dasboat Supersonic prop?
Jun 01, 2019, 04:48 PM
My battery tray keeps popping loose. Has anyone had this issue? To the point where I want to through bolt it!

What glue would anyone recommend to secure the battery tray.

So far I have that issue and the original servo shorter out and quit working (bubbles at the bottom of the case) and the replacement servo has stripped.
Jun 01, 2019, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE51
My battery tray keeps popping loose. Has anyone had this issue? To the point where I want to through bolt it!

What glue would anyone recommend to secure the battery tray.

So far I have that issue and the original servo shorter out and quit working (bubbles at the bottom of the case) and the replacement servo has stripped.
have not had this issue but i would suggest if you can get to the bare hull to lightly sand that area to remove any sheen/gloss before you re glue the tray . this will go a long way towards keeping it secure .
Jun 01, 2019, 05:57 PM
My bet is Proboat uses proprietary glue and won't tell you what it is. That being said, I would call Horizon and ask them what glue they suggest. Maybe they will send you a replacement hull. Please let us know what you find out or do, and how it works. I too would like to know what glue they use.

I should add: my battery tray has stayed fastened and it has gone through several hard flips.

Quick Reply