Sep 06, 2018, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

new proboat sonicwake 36" self righting mono

399.99 projected price
https://www.horizonhobby.com/sonicwa...k-p-prb08032t2

Pro Boat® Sonicwake 36" Self-Righting Deep-V Brushless RTR (1 min 51 sec)
Last edited by helizrnew2me; Sep 06, 2018 at 11:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2018, 11:46 AM
This was a genius move. No other RTR boat this size I know of that self rights. Going to have to get this one for sure.
Sep 06, 2018, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
oh man ......this could make me part with my spartan .....but now everyone will be selling their spartan .
Sep 06, 2018, 12:11 PM
Grumpa Tom
Not needing a rescue tug is YUGE!
Latest blog entry: My new AT-6
Sep 06, 2018, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
i would push my spartan so much harder if it had self righting .this was needed in the hobby.
Sep 06, 2018, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me
oh man ......this could make me part with my spartan .....but now everyone will be selling their spartan .
Same here. But the Spartan was my first FE boat and I would be sad one day if I sold it decisions, decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Yes it is! And floodchamber self righting works so much better than the ones you have to use throttle to get to roll back over.
Sep 06, 2018, 12:25 PM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Thanks for posting this. Here is some more info.

The boat will self right empty, it does not rely on the weight of a battery, but the weight of the battery does help it self right quicker.
Self right feature works in about 10 seconds.
Battery is center mounted so the boat will perform evenly when turning left or right.
Prop is stainless steel, de-tongued.
Motor is 3674 4 pole 3.5D wind rated at 2400 watts,.
ESC is our tried and proven 120A Dynamite ESC.
Sealing canopy with thumb screws.
4.7mm flex shaft.
2 piece strut with easily replaceable long barrel brass busing.
Battery trays accept 2 packs for combined voltage or a single 4, 5, or 6s pack.

Priced to fly off shelves at $399.99
Sep 06, 2018, 12:25 PM
fiberglass or abs?
Sep 06, 2018, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless62
fiberglass or abs?
2 piece vacuum formed ABS with shoe box construction. It's nearly 3 times the thickness of "other" boats made this way, currently on the market.
Sep 06, 2018, 12:52 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Nice boat!

But to be honest, I'm typing this with a smile from ear to ear, due to the fuss that's being made over a selfrighting monohull...
Everybody that's not all thumbs can add a floodchamber to almost any monohull...

The fact that it has to be RTR, probably indicates how many people have the skills and are willing to invest some time in their existing hulls to make them self righting.

Regards, Jan.
Sep 06, 2018, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
i be the first to admit i am no builder .i would rather pay and get what i need from those that can .
Sep 06, 2018, 01:48 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Looks like it could be a good one performance-wise. My flood chamber boats handle much better than the bloated, roll-over boats like the Recoils, the Fei Lun FT series and the smaller Barbwires to same some.

Priced too high in my opinion though. Any $400 boat should come with a fiberglass hull. Strength is not the issue. A two-piece molded plastic hull assembled via "shoebox construction" (basically the same tech as how a plastic lid fits over and around the top of the paper cups at McDonalds) is far cheaper to manufacture. In fact, the toy-class $60 NQD "Tear Into" jet boat is built that same way.

I guess that overlap is why the tip of the bow looks so odd:

I mean, for the same $400 you could have something like this beast with a proper 4-layer glass hull AND a flood chamber.
http://tobsd.com/ViewDetails.aspx?ProductID=939

Sorry Raphael. Not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Oh no. Don't fool yourself. Capsizing is only one issue that can strand a boat. Collisions, failed electronics or hardware, etc.. Keep that emergency rig ready!

Last edited by AirDOGGe; Sep 06, 2018 at 02:12 PM.
Sep 06, 2018, 01:54 PM
This looks like it could be another Pro Boat canadite to "tune up" for some real speed....I'll might just be waiting for one at my doorstep on the release date...
Sep 06, 2018, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez
2 piece strut with easily replaceable long barrel brass busing.
2 piece flex? my genesis has that and it's a pain. Not a deal breaker, but a pain. Does that mean it has to be greased by taking off the strut/etc? If so I am curious why a 1-piece was not used. MUCH easier to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez
2 piece vacuum formed ABS with shoe box construction. It's nearly 3 times the thickness of "other" boats made this way, currently on the market.
Shots fired...I will say my boat you are referring to has been driven hard with 0 hull issue, so this boat must be very solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
The fact that it has to be RTR, probably indicates how many people have the skills and are willing to invest some time in their existing hulls to make them self righting.
I'm not sure all boats can be set up that way with a chamber. Trying to think about a say, Spartan, the way the hull is made and the battery placement I don't see how you could simply "add" a flood chamber and the boat still drive correctly...

Any boat that is already laid out for the lipos to be on opposite sides seems like it would be tricky to get a working flood chamber. Like the Spartan, Voracity, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me
i be the first to admit i am no builder .i would rather pay and get what i need from those that can .
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Priced too high in my opinion though. Any $400 boat should come with a fiberglass hull. Strength is not the issue. A two-piece molded plastic hull is far cheaper to manufacture, and that should show in the price.
I agree, I would have liked to see it closer to $300 than $400...but

Wait until eBay does the 20% off coupon, and buy the boat from HH's eBay store for $320
Sep 06, 2018, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Looks like it could be a good one performance-wise. My flood chamber boats handle much better than the bloated, roll-over boats like the Recoils, the Fei Lun FT series and the smaller Barbwires to same some.

Priced too high in my opinion though. Any $400 boat should come with a fiberglass hull. Strength is not the issue. A two-piece molded plastic hull assembled via "shoebox construction" (basically the same tech as how a plastic lid fits over and around the top of the paper cups at McDonalds) is far cheaper to manufacture. In fact, the toy-class $60 NQD "Tear Into" jet boat is built that same way.

I mean, for the same $400 you could have something like this beast with a proper 4-layer glass hull AND a flood chamber.
http://tobsd.com/ViewDetails.aspx?ProductID=939

Sorry Raphael. Not for me.

Oh no. Don't fool yourself. Capsizing is only one issue that can strand a boat. Collisions, failed electronics or hardware, etc.. Keep that emergency rig ready!

So you're OK with paying the same amount for a smaller boat with a 2868 motor, 90 amp ESC, 3S max battery capacity, no radio, no RX, no strut, that only turns well in one direction because it can only have 1 turn fin? I guess there is always something out there for everyone. I respect your POV.

BTW, I could have sourced that boat and slapped a Pro Boat sticker on it, but we decided to develop our own instead

Quick Reply