Dec 23, 2004, 12:51 AM
Thread OP

Cutting Formica for Templates with Hand Tools

I've got a 3 x 3 foot sheet of formica that I'd like to use for wing templates. I've found that sanding it is so hard, I'd like to start off with a strip of formica that's close to the width of my template outline to minimize the sanding.

What's a good way to cut strips of formica? I tried scoring with a blade and a straight edge and snapping, but the top portion breaks off differently than the backer board, resulting in an ugly cut, ruining the material. It seems like my razor blade can only score the top material and doesn't cut into the backer board.

I don't have a scroll saw, but I do have a dremel tool and utility knives.

Thanks for any advice.

Joel
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2004, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelontheroad
I don't have a scroll saw, but I do have a dremel tool and utility knives.
Joel
You could probably do a fair job of cutting templates with a Dremel shaper/router table, item number 231 at
http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html

Probably need to get the correct cutter as well.
Dec 23, 2004, 04:17 AM
Dremel fibre-reinforced cutting discs will cut Formica with no trouble. They do wear away fairly fast so it's not a cheap option if you're going to be cutting a lot. I used to use a fine-tooth hand saw to cut the blank and then sand from there (but a scroll saw is MUCH easier ).

Steve
Dec 23, 2004, 05:27 AM
I just used scissors (not the small one) for a similar material, came out very well. Once I found I can cut without breaking the material, I cut the template along the line, no sanding was needed.

-- Rajesh
Dec 23, 2004, 06:27 AM
cover the front and back of the formica in masking tape. Then use toothed sicsors. The masking tape prevents it cracking so much. Then just use a file to get to the correct level.
Dec 24, 2004, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_wood
cover the front and back of the formica in masking tape. Then use toothed sicsors. The masking tape prevents it cracking so much. Then just use a file to get to the correct level.
Intriguing idea. What are "toothed scissors?" Are they like emt shears?

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

Joel
Dec 24, 2004, 10:45 PM
MorganTech
These industrial quality shears cut sheet metal as well as plastic laminates. I have used these style shears for many years with great success. They cut a 1/4" of material out in a curly que fashion. It won't tear either side of the cut.

Here is a link-
http://www.route66supply.com/store/page82.html
Jan 05, 2005, 10:52 PM
Believe it or not tin snips work very well on plastic laminates. Keep the piece you want to save in your left hand and cut about a 1/4 " to the right side of your line then trim off the 1/4" piece to finish it off. It will create hairline cracks in the excess on the right side of the snips about a 1/4" to 1/2" long so make sure there is enough space on that side to trim off the selvage. Try it on a scrap piece....

HotRod 36

Quick Reply