Oct 14, 2018, 01:27 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
no worries, I am happy to share my experience... I am far from an expert on the subject though

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcanrcfly
What Im looking for is a worthwhile entry level quad for someone whos proficient with fixed wing r/c (me). So would you recommend a good learning path as...first purchase the Inductrix, then after becoming proficient with that quad, move onto the Scimitar...and the from the Scimitar, its off to flying more advanced quads. I figured that since you own both the Inductrix and the Scimitar...you can offer some sound advice. ������

Geoffrey
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2018, 01:43 PM
So Huffdaddy would you recommend a good learning path as...first purchase the Inductrix, then after becoming proficient with that quad, move onto the Scimitar...and the from the Scimitar, its off to flying more advanced quads???
Oct 14, 2018, 02:03 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
anybody have a flight video to share?

asking because my cam seems to be off focus making for a slightly soft video ... was wondering if the cam can be adjusted for better focus (not the up\down adj) ... looks like there is a 'gear' looking collar behind the lens that could rotate but it might be glued into its focus position like the Mobius cams... which would mean removing the canopy to get better access to it...

and to get the canopy off... prob doesn't pop off and need to remove some screws from the underside...

Blade Scimitar 170 maiden FPV flight 1 (2 min 1 sec)
Oct 14, 2018, 02:33 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
ok... I like it... easy peasy to remove the canopy

its the tiniest allen screws on the underside and there's a tiny allen wrench that is in the extra goodie bag of stuff... 4 screws, lift off canopy... careful in that the LED wiring harness is attached and the antenna's that slide out of the canopy holes

and the cam adjustments... another easy peasy ... the lens rotates and there's a locking collar to snug it up afterwards... hopefully I can get it dialed in better than it is out of the box
Oct 14, 2018, 03:31 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
just did a quick cam focus adjustment, its better now
got a little dew splatter on the lens (table I took off from was damp)... will wipe it off an redo

I have some jello, need to check out where the vibrations are, most likely the props since I have the prop guards removed at the moment..

gonna stick the RunCam2 on the canopy for the next flight

Blade Scimitar 170 FPV cam test - adjusted the focus (2 min 50 sec)
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Oct 14, 2018 at 03:39 PM.
Oct 14, 2018, 03:59 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
yikes! did a quick check of my nuts and 2 were finger loose!!

check our nuts guys!! prop nuts of course

this test flight didn't have as much jello after tightening them babies up

keep in mid the vid quality in the goggles is slightly better than the video and that I am on the cheap here... using the Quanum Cyclops FPV ($50) a $18 Eachine EV100 DVR and a $10 cloverleaf antenna

Blade Scimitar 170 FPV cam test 2 - adjusted the focus\tightened prop nuts (3 min 5 sec)
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Oct 14, 2018 at 04:17 PM.
Oct 14, 2018, 06:28 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
anyone's LEDs only light up the one row like this?
both rows light up when plugged in then change to single row...

Blade Scimitar 170 FPV LEDs on startup (0 min 6 sec)
Oct 14, 2018, 08:00 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
fwiw... yep, the LEDs are programmable

just dinking around with Betaflight and made them red... its the rear of the quad so it made sense
thanks for the tip Crashaccepted
Oct 14, 2018, 10:49 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
OK... so now I want to explore what its going to take to set it up with turtle mode
Oct 18, 2018, 10:54 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
does anyone know what the circled cable type is called?

its the cable that runs from the LEDs to the port in these pics...

I want to buy a Y splitter cable like this so I can (without soldering) run a LED strip at the front of the quad off the port...
not even sure if power-wise if that's even doable, hoping it is

Oct 19, 2018, 07:53 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
thank you Steve J for the reply

its a JST Connector.... JST stands for "Japan Solderless Terminal"
Oct 19, 2018, 08:32 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
ok Scimitar pilots... what batteries are you enjoying the most?

are you guys only flying the 4S 850mAh lipos?

I get about 2:30 - 3 min of really tame cruising on the 850's and was thinking maybe a 1000 or 1300mAh might give a little longer flight, obviously one would want to stay as light and nimble as one can...

Oct 19, 2018, 11:23 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
so in thinking about getting a few slightly bigger lipo's than the 850's I picked up and still keeping it light I look at the manual again I see that HH provides an 850mAh and a 1000mAh in the RTF package... (I have the BNF config)

I see that the 1000mAh's that HH provided in the RTF weigh in at 125g's... I wonder what the extra 20g's of that 1000mAh feels like and what the flight time might be for an easy cruise... wonder if I could get 4 min?

Lipo's Included With the Scimitar 170 RTF Package:

Thrust 14.8V 850mAh 35C 4S Battery
(EFLRB8504S35) weighs 3.70 oz (105g)

Thrust 14.8V 1000mAh 35C 4S Battery
(EFLRB10004S35) weighs 4.40 oz (125g)
... but out of stock

and so there's a couple 1000mAh that weigh 121-124g's I might try...

ZIPPY Compact 1000mAh 4S 35C Lipo (121g)

Turnigy Nano-Tech Plus 1000mAh 4S 70C Lipo (124.8g)

what to do... what to do

Oct 22, 2018, 08:32 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
WOOHOO!! I found some LEDs I bought last summer laying on the bench under a bunch of stuff so I added some LED headlights and they work grrreat!

Blade Scimitar 170 late afternoon test with new LED headlights!! :) (3 min 54 sec)
Oct 25, 2018, 02:49 PM
Fly safe, fly often!

Mine just arrived - yay!

Hope to have it airborne this weekend

If I can't find time to set it up I think I'll just go into the front yard and toss it - no battery or props - that's flyin it, right?

Maybe toss on the blades first - woo hoo!

Quick Reply