Dec 22, 2004, 07:57 PM
Thread OP

Stevens Aero Stella: Building Thread (part 3)

This is part three of the Stevens Aero Stella thread.

Part one can be found here - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269783
Part two can be found here - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290586

Enjoy!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2004, 09:57 PM
Scott Summersgill
I'm not too familiar with the many versions of the Himax motor, so I have a question for those "more in the know." What's the ultimate Himax setup for the Stella? Motor, battery, gear ratio, and prop. I've read through this thread, but there are so many combos it's difficult to tell which is best.

Thanks much,
Scott
Dec 22, 2004, 10:08 PM
BOSS
I use a:
Himax 2025-5300
Geared 6:1
10x47 prop
Tanic 1550

The power is truly INSANE. Only down side is it draws 18 amps, at full throttle... Just check out my videos to see the power...

Jon
Dec 22, 2004, 11:24 PM
characters welcome!
Mine's planned for an RZ2500/5.2:1/3s Apogee 1570s/APC 11x4.7, Scotty.

mw
Dec 23, 2004, 09:25 AM
LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
I'm going RZ-2500/6.?:1/12X6 SF prop. With this set up I am not pushing the motor at all, 13A WOT but it allows me to use my E-Tech 1200HP's which give me 15+ mins in my 15oz+ Funplanes Yak, I am guessing this the above set-up I should be pretty light with those packs and it gives pretty impressive pull outs from hover. I was hoping to maiden her on Christmas day but I am not sure if I am going to make it and the local weather is calling for wind.

Cheers,
Jim
Dec 23, 2004, 10:48 AM
LJH
LJH
Shhhh...don't tell the boss but we are dead today, go figure a mail order joint is slow two days before Christmas . I am finishing up some details on the Stella and I am wondering looking at the motor stick does the arrow side go into the fuse or is it the other way around?

Cheers,
Jim
Dec 23, 2004, 10:53 AM
www.rcfoam.com
It seems to me that everyone is hooked on geared motor setups, which is not a bad thing. But, has anyone had similar results with AXI outrunners? I'm guessing that a 2212/26 or /34 might beable to power this but I just want to hear about other peoples experiences. Thanks,
-Sean-
Dec 23, 2004, 12:26 PM
Scott Summersgill
Thanks gents. I'm researching for a newbie e-plane flier friend of mine. I'll pass the info along.

Off topic. Mark, hows it going? I'm hoping to make it down to MWE this year. It's all going to depend on when boy #2 arrives. My lovely wife has given me a pass so long as my mom is in town to help. Hope to see you there.

Later,
Scotty
Dec 23, 2004, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Jim -

You might also want to consider an APC 11x7 SF prop. I ran the same motor / gear ratio as you, and really preferred the additional pitch speed.

Pete
Dec 23, 2004, 01:38 PM
Scott Stoops
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsean
It seems to me that everyone is hooked on geared motor setups, which is not a bad thing. But, has anyone had similar results with AXI outrunners? I'm guessing that a 2212/26 or /34 might beable to power this but I just want to hear about other peoples experiences. Thanks,
-Sean-
Sean,
Included with the Stella is a mount for the 2212 series motor. I have flown Bill's with the 2212-26, and mine with the 2212-34. They work fine. They don't, however have quite the punch as the geared 200 watt systems. The 2212 come out more in the 150 watt range.

Honestly, 150 watts flies this model beautifully. 200 watts flies it better though

Scott
Dec 23, 2004, 01:43 PM
Scott Stoops
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
Shhhh...don't tell the boss but we are dead today, go figure a mail order joint is slow two days before Christmas . I am finishing up some details on the Stella and I am wondering looking at the motor stick does the arrow side go into the fuse or is it the other way around?

Cheers,
Jim
Jim,
I don't think it matters. I always thought the arrows were for alignment of the seperate parts of the stick rather than the direction it goes in the model. I think the stick is actually symmetrical, and as such could go either way. What I would recommend, if you're using a high watt system (can't remember) is to drill out the end and glue a carbon rod or dowel into the stick. I had one break on a 230 watt system swinging a mondo prop. Not pretty. The whole stick thing was originally designed to accept the 100 watt GWS EPS, and never really stressed for the kind of power that is being stapped to them. The dowel does the trick...

Scott
Dec 23, 2004, 02:09 PM
LJH
LJH
Scott,
Thanks, I have been looking at it and there is more "tabbing" on one end compaird to the other so I would think that the more surface area in the tab would be benificial sticking out the front of the firewall. After reading some of the posts about the stick breaking in hi-watt applications I beefed mine up. Some where in the kit there are strips cut that are the same width as the dimention of the inside of the "stick. I stacked three together which gave me another stick that fit perfectly inside the motor "stick". I then tacked the "stick" together and literally soaked it in CA for 10 mins or so. It was pretty amazing how when I took the thing out how warm it got, I guess with that much CA kicking it puts out some energy , It was actually still a bit warm after an hour of me taking it out of the CA. I wish I know where the strips came from that fit perfectly inside the "stick", they are somewhere in the kit . I figured if I was not happy at @150W I could always push the RZ-2500 a bit harder, I do have a couple TP2100 GII packs so I just might have to check it out at the 200 watts, though it makes me nervious because I am sure I will like it with 200+ watts per pound . Merry Christmas all.

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by LJH; Dec 23, 2004 at 02:13 PM.
Dec 23, 2004, 06:58 PM
Live to fly!
Here are the vids that my brother took yesterday of Stella and the Groove. I managed to extract about 4min of footage from the 12-13min Stella recording. It's the best I can do with what was recorded (mostly blue sky... ). The Groove vid came out a little better.

http://www.iona.edu/faculty/livanov/...Knife_Edge.wmv
http://www.iona.edu/faculty/livanov/videos/Stella_4.wmv

Enjoy!
Doc
Last edited by doc-e; Dec 24, 2004 at 08:09 AM.
Dec 23, 2004, 08:43 PM
PRO BRO #157
Nice video's Doc. Dont you love the knife edge on the groove??

I need to get my stella back out for some fun !!
Dec 24, 2004, 06:52 AM
Will fly for food
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
Sean,
Included with the Stella is a mount for the 2212 series motor. I have flown Bill's with the 2212-26, and mine with the 2212-34. They work fine. They don't, however have quite the punch as the geared 200 watt systems. The 2212 come out more in the 150 watt range.

Honestly, 150 watts flies this model beautifully. 200 watts flies it better though

Scott
So you recommend a long can geared motor? Like a Hacker L, Himax 2025, etc? Which gearing and prop?

I guess the 2808 Axi is a little much as on 3s it runs in the 250 watt range?

Quick Reply