Aug 25, 2019, 08:57 AM
Retired US Navy
These are my favorite 5000 size batteries at the moment. They are light and small and perform very well. I say at the moment because there are new batteries that come along now and then that are better than what I was using. A few years back the Zippy Compact 5000 25C at 650-680g was just fabulous. Then the Roaring top 5800 came out and though a bit heavy they were worth it. Now I have a dozen of the 5200 Hobby Star. They are perfect for 80mm EDFs and even some 70mm and 90mm (and my 8S set ups paired with a 2S) along with a few of my propeller planes.

But they are not inexpensive...

https://www.rcjuice.com/lipo-batteri...o-battery.html
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 09:19 AM
They are cheaper than the 6000 admiral pro by about $30.
Aug 25, 2019, 10:40 AM
Retired US Navy
Yes. Not expensive but not inexpensive. I consider them a “value”, worth the money for the eight and performance. They are not great for super high amp throttle all the time flying even though I use them on high amp, 120-130, I am not a full throttle the whole flight kind of person. They are perfect for 80mm jets...
Aug 25, 2019, 10:50 AM
Thanks. Will definitely be Considering one soon.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:00 PM
big ignore list/drama is dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildvortex
I have been flying electric for quite some time but was just told not to charge anything above 2 amps. So that is what I had gone with except for my quad packs which I wouldn't charge over 1 amp. Those packs were cheap so I would buy 3 or 4 for each plane. Not an option for this one yet.
I have the testers and try not to run a battery below 30% always have.
Up until about 6 months ago I flew mostly glow and only had 1 or 2 electric. I have dumped those planes that are harder to convert and started converting those that are easier. I just couldn't afford glow fuel prices anymore.

No worries Lou, I expected an answer like that from someone. I have found that there are a bunch of people like that here on RC Groups....well about any forum. If you are going to put yourself out there on a forum you should have thick skin.

Oh, and as for club help... My club had dwindled to 15 strong due to not having a field for 2 years. We now have a place to fly and membership has grown to a whopping 21 but still only about 7 active flyers.
Maybe they men't 2C charge rate??
most batteries today can take 2C without any issues at all

Quote:
Oh, you asked about a charger I have a 450w 4 port turnigy charger.
This sounds like one of the chargers I own

Quote:
Yah, I was originally looking at getting HK Panthers for this but when I compaired 6000 packs t didn't want the extra 200+ g weight
depending on what you are flying the extra weight most always means more available amps for less voltage sag giving more watts and RPMs
Last edited by brushless55; Aug 25, 2019 at 01:10 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:08 PM
Lithium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
... Like I said earlier , I am in a lot of threads that Herb is in , great guy and very helpful. I am looking at some of his lipo suggestions because my Graphene packs ( while super reliable ) are very heavy and expensive...
Hey Lou I have quite a few large quality Roaring Tops that have lasted an eternity (in LiPo terms ), but lately I've also added a few HRB's which are similarly well packaged and quite durable ... Usually I get them at my front door the same day with Amazon Prime free shipping.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...es-Game&pp=100

Aug 25, 2019, 06:17 PM
Yes, I expect "someone told you" to charge only at "2... something" and you took it as Amps.
But because it was likely 1000mAH region batteries in a multicopter, that happened to also be what 2C is. eg 1000mAH 2C = 2Amps
OR... they told you 1x.... 1C... = 1Amp.
And you just stuck with that idea ongoing......

But you can do 2C.... 2x the CAPACITY... with all batteries for many many years now, and of zero detriment to them.
That gives a very different outcome to the 'maths' you apply..... yours is stuck at 2Amps... charging at "1 or 2 TIMES C" means a variable range.
Aug 25, 2019, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
Yes, I expect "someone told you" to charge only at "2... something" and you took it as Amps.
But because it was likely 1000mAH region batteries in a multicopter, that happened to also be what 2C is. eg 1000mAH 2C = 2Amps
OR... they told you 1x.... 1C... = 1Amp.
And you just stuck with that idea ongoing......

But you can do 2C.... 2x the CAPACITY... with all batteries for many many years now, and of zero detriment to them.
That gives a very different outcome to the 'maths' you apply..... yours is stuck at 2Amps... charging at "1 or 2 TIMES C" means a variable range.
Nope! Told me no more 2 amps on a 4s 5000mAh battery.

Not that I believe that so much but really didn't matter at that time or even now until I started buying $100+ batteries. Then I could have a couple batteries per plane and would have ample charge time rotating planes.

Remember, I am now the go to guy for electric. I also was the youngest in out club until 6 months ago at 49. Only 3 of us flew electric before then and I overheard one of them after plugging in a tester say "hey I have had 2 flights on this battery and still have 18% I can fly some more".
Last edited by Wildvortex; Aug 25, 2019 at 06:30 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Nope! Told me no more 2 amps on a 4s 5000mAh battery.

Not that I believe that so much but really didn't matter at that time or even now until I started buying $100+ batteries. Then I could have a couple batteries per plane and would have ample charge time rotating planes.

Remember, I am now the go to guy for electric. I also was the youngest in out club until 6 months ago at 49. Only 3 of us flew electric before then and I overheard one of them after plugging in a tester say "hey I have had 2 flights on this battery and still have 18% I can fly some more".
must have been a new guy! LOL
Aug 25, 2019, 06:39 PM
Looking for batteries, Joe has awesome list going ons over here..
years of battery testing
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons

https://www.liporatings.com/
Aug 25, 2019, 06:42 PM
Actually no been in RC for years but has always been glow. I knew that was wrong and told him so. I also told him why he always had problems with batteries.
Aug 25, 2019, 06:46 PM
Yes, have seen Joe's list but haven't had time yet to really ponder over it. Been nose down in CAD and whatnot designing braces for you all. Should be working on FW F-18 next week if the guy comes through with pictures and measurements.
Aug 25, 2019, 08:51 PM
Actually no been in RC for years but has always been glow. I knew that was wrong and told him so. I also told him why he always had problems with batteries.
Aug 25, 2019, 08:52 PM
Don't know why that was showing it had not yet been sent but see now that I had already posted that
Aug 25, 2019, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Don't know why that was showing it had not yet been sent but see now that I had already posted that
Refresh your page.. LOL

Quick Reply