Mar 13, 2019, 09:41 AM
Any know what colour will match the blue ?? Need something to touch up the wind tips
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2019, 06:07 PM
retired ATC
bring the nacelle to lowes or home depot and they can match the paint color with a small sample for about 3,50
Mar 14, 2019, 04:46 AM

Matching Blue Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliamgt
Any know what colour will match the blue ?? Need something to touch up the wind tips
I used this paint from Hobby Lobby. It is almost an exact match from a few inches away.
Mar 15, 2019, 01:52 PM

Flap Problem / Flying Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl
Great video, I'm really jealous of you guys that have such nice flying fields. That paved runway is amazing, where I come from a paved runway is non existent. Perhaps if RC was more popular here there would be a club formed to be able to have such nice flying sites.

Great work saving the L39 from doom with that flap problem. I had a similar issue on a Freewing Yak. However in my case I had a servo failure on 1 flap which caused a spin at low altitude.

On to another subject, do you guys feel the L39 is capable of taking off in short distances? My Yak, HSD Viper, F16 are all capable of taking off from my runway that I use. Do you think the L39 would need more room or be any different?

Thanks for any information that can be sent my way.
Mar 15, 2019, 06:50 PM
My L-39 takes off my grass runway in a fairly short distance, I use 1/2 flaps most of the time. The L-39 is one of the better Jets for grass as for shorter take off`s and handling. It would lift off sooner then your F-16.

It does help having the grass as short as possible, but the wheels on the L-39 are a good size for grass runways and helps.
Last edited by bigdaddy; Mar 16, 2019 at 03:54 AM.
Mar 17, 2019, 10:09 PM
Here is mine just after I landed and was taxing back towards me, haven't flown it in a while, forgot how great a flyer it is.
Mar 17, 2019, 11:00 PM

Flap failure

When I went to fly the L-39 on Saturday morning, as I tested the Flaps..... deploy.... retract..... one side looked wonky, not right. Closer inspection showed that two of the three flap HINGES were detached, and the Flap itself - which is also a foam hinge type too - had cracked right off the entire foam hinge length.
I never 'bang', mis-store or transport damage aircraft so this must have cracked off in use/flight..... followed by the hinges taking all the load and the contact adhesive glue they use not coping then. Also, the contact adhesive was on the hinge flat portion, but none left on the EPO surface anymore at all.
Those hinges are just 'flat squares' and about a 9mm square. Unlikely to ever be enough on their own, if Full Flaps used.

I just fiber taped up new hinges and over theirs... stress tested it was adequate.. and flew fine. (temporary fix!)

I assume the Flap foam hinge cracked bit by bit over the last flights, then gave way totally..... ummm, when??? Possibly on the Full Flaps pre-flight test motion. But it must have been a close call to being in flight! I always land using Full Flaps.

At home I decided to TEST a Hot Glue foam hinge fix..... not that I would ever trust in that totally!
I worked reasonably well under stress test.. but still not truly safe/adequate!

I re-glued their paltry hinge mounts with contact adhesive..... which the grand total is still not going to be "long term reliable/safe" !!
So then I used white fiber tape over both Flaps, as additional hinging, which is then a massive overkill really. But it is unobtrusive on the white portions, and flexes to allow hinging fine.... and I painted the required section Red.....

They will never be 'breaking off' again !!!
I KNOW what happens if you ever deploy Full Flaps and one side does NOT come down........ (from another jet)
Mar 18, 2019, 12:40 PM
L39 cockpit view (0 min 50 sec)

A little clip from yesterday.
Mar 18, 2019, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
When I went to fly the L-39 on Saturday morning, as I tested the Flaps..... deploy.... retract..... one side looked wonky, not right. Closer inspection showed that two of the three flap HINGES were detached, and the Flap itself - which is also a foam hinge type too - had cracked right off the entire foam hinge length.
I never 'bang', mis-store or transport damage aircraft so this must have cracked off in use/flight..... followed by the hinges taking all the load and the contact adhesive glue they use not coping then. Also, the contact adhesive was on the hinge flat portion, but none left on the EPO surface anymore at all.
Those hinges are just 'flat squares' and about a 9mm square. Unlikely to ever be enough on their own, if Full Flaps used.

I just fiber taped up new hinges and over theirs... stress tested it was adequate.. and flew fine. (temporary fix!)

I assume the Flap foam hinge cracked bit by bit over the last flights, then gave way totally..... ummm, when??? Possibly on the Full Flaps pre-flight test motion. But it must have been a close call to being in flight! I always land using Full Flaps.

At home I decided to TEST a Hot Glue foam hinge fix..... not that I would ever trust in that totally!
I worked reasonably well under stress test.. but still not truly safe/adequate!

I re-glued their paltry hinge mounts with contact adhesive..... which the grand total is still not going to be "long term reliable/safe" !!
So then I used white fiber tape over both Flaps, as additional hinging, which is then a massive overkill really. But it is unobtrusive on the white portions, and flexes to allow hinging fine.... and I painted the required section Red.....

They will never be 'breaking off' again !!!
I KNOW what happens if you ever deploy Full Flaps and one side does NOT come down........ (from another jet)
Mar 21, 2019, 09:55 PM

Baltic Bees

My winter project was a repaint of the Freewing L-39 in the Baltic Bees theme. Graphics by callie-graphics.com. Really pleased with the results :-)
Mar 21, 2019, 11:04 PM
From what I can see in the pics, that is awesome!!
That is not easy to do.... lots of 'edges'.... and details.
Great job!

Now, where are the others.....? You need about 4 more or so? lol
Mar 22, 2019, 04:31 AM
JDill -NICE JOB!!
That L-39 looks great,
Mar 22, 2019, 04:51 PM
JDill, excellent paint job on the L39, very nice!

Could you reply with what type of paint you used, how about masking? What type of masking material did you use? I always seem to have issues with masking pulling the paint off or paint creeping under the masking.

Thanks for any information or tips you or anyone else for that matter can pass along would be a big help..........thanks!
Mar 23, 2019, 03:16 PM
nerd
My L-39 just got some upgrades. 3D printed cockpit and top/bottom red beacons. Also white wing-tip anti collision strobes.
FW L39 Ligths (0 min 18 sec)

/A
Mar 23, 2019, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
From what I can see in the pics, that is awesome!!
That is not easy to do.... lots of 'edges'.... and details.
Great job!

Now, where are the others.....? You need about 4 more or so? lol
Thanks! Yep lots of planning and masking, yikes!
Right, what I need is 4 more or so friends to buy and custom paint Baltic Bees so we can complete the aerobatic team

Quick Reply