Sep 03, 2018, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Laser Cut Parts in Top Flite Giant Kits ?

I have purchased a couple of giant Top Flite warbird kits on RC Groups. These are build kits, not ARFs.

One kit had all die cut parts except one sheet that was laser cut.

The second kit had four sheets of die cut parts that were laser cut.

Have these parts been replaced by someone selling the kits, maybe to replace missing or damaged parts, or could Top Flite have actually used laser cutting in these kits ?

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2018, 01:54 PM
Some of those kits had both laser-cut and die-cut parts, Top Flite, Great Planes, and even Sig has both styles/combinations in their kits.

There should be an inventory page in the manual that tells you exactly that.
Sep 04, 2018, 05:25 PM
Thread OP
Thanks. I did check everything against the inventory sheet, but everything was listed aside cut. Nothing was indicated as laser cut.
Sep 04, 2018, 05:59 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
I looked over my GS Corsair,,, all die cut,, no laser cut parts,, could be they transitioned to laser at some point,, mine might just be an older kit
Sep 04, 2018, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgonwa View Post
Thanks. I did check everything against the inventory sheet, but everything was listed aside cut. Nothing was indicated as laser cut.

What year was that manual printed? There should be a copyright or revision date somewhere inside. I'm just curious here.
Sep 04, 2018, 08:17 PM
Send lawyers, guns and money
Just speculation, but they may have started substituting laser cut parts sheets as the individual sheet's dies wore out?.

Sort of moot now, innit?
Sep 05, 2018, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
The manual is dated 1997. The parts list is dated 2003.
Sep 15, 2018, 07:39 AM
-insert witty saying here-
The gold edition and giant scale kits are all CAD drawn designs. Not much of a stretch to send a couple files to a laser cutter when your steel rule die is down for maintenance.

As ahrma noted, it's a moot point anyway. Top Flite kits are out of production. If they or someone else resumes production, they will be made differently, as the tooling to make the kits was sold off separate from the designs and production rights.

Quick Reply