Dec 22, 2004, 03:00 PM
Thread OP

E-Flite Ultimate EP Build/Modifications

I called this thread the E-Flite Ultimate EP Build/Modifications since I don't want to do a whole build thread since it is not a complicated plane. But there seems to be alot of mods being done. Soooo, I may pull some of them together here.

Feel free to post your ideas/pictures/comments (like everyone doesn't do whatever they please here anyway.)

Oh, and I am posting this in the parkflyers forum--and not the foam/3d/aeroabatic forum--since I plan on little heavier and tougher build. I want it for pattern aerobatics, and G.Hicks has said many times it has to be light for 3d. BTW you can chat with him at RCuniv in his forum. I will incorperate several of his suggestions as well.

The pic to the right is the stock ad photo. We'll see how close I come.

--the brute
Last edited by Brutus; Dec 28, 2004 at 12:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2004, 03:04 PM
Thread OP

Sand smooth the edges.

This is sometimes hard with depron. It gives a nice finished look, and improves the arerodynamics.
Last edited by Brutus; Dec 22, 2004 at 03:07 PM.
Dec 22, 2004, 03:10 PM
Thread OP

Landing gear mod.

I saw this one elsewhere. Using the supplied thread is just too tedious for me. A zip tie and pieces of wood. The LG seem very wimpy.
Dec 22, 2004, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
Next time: a big one--How to mount the tail servos. Hmmmm...
Dec 22, 2004, 05:30 PM

Tail servos

Easy way, cut holes and mount them like a shockflyer. Not so easy way, mount like suggested and find some really long servo arms.
Dec 23, 2004, 08:57 AM
Will fly for food
ON my Tribute, I had to do long servo arms for the tail servos to get the throw required. I used a couple of standard Futaba arms. I cut all the arms off of one of the micro small X armed arms. I pressed this into the Futaba hub and used soem thin, then some medium CA to attach. This gave me a longer arm that fits micro servos.

I am surprised that some manufacturer isn't offereing some longer micro servo arms. I would buy a BUNCH.
Dec 24, 2004, 08:53 AM
Thread OP

Servo mounting and wing reinforcing Mod

I am surprised too that they didn't include long servo arms. I put them through as suggested.

I also used wedges of foam to stiffen up the wing surfaces.
Last edited by Brutus; Dec 28, 2004 at 12:02 PM.
Dec 24, 2004, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
I have heard of people using triangle balsa stock for this purpose too.
Here is the stabilizer support.

Oh, and have a Merry Model Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Brutus; Dec 24, 2004 at 09:04 AM.
Dec 27, 2004, 09:16 AM
Thread OP

Aileron servos Mod

Manuel says on lower wing . Hicks says on top wing. Top wing mounting should make it easier to get my Vertical CG correct.

reasoning: if you mount the battery up high and need more weight above the thrustline it may be hard to move some of the other radio gear.
Last edited by Brutus; Dec 28, 2004 at 12:02 PM.
Dec 27, 2004, 11:51 AM
Thread OP

Aileron connection rods Modification

The instructions are WRONG in my opinion. Turning around a control horn fixes the problem. What is the problem you ask. The e-flite way the upper and lower ailerons do not move the same amount.
Last edited by Brutus; Dec 30, 2004 at 07:49 AM.
Dec 28, 2004, 11:52 AM
Thread OP

Battery hold-down mod

I designed this holder so I could easily adjust the battery position for and aft, and so the battery would come loose during a crash and not ruin the plane.

I consists of a velcro strap and a rubber base. The rubber base is sticky so that the battery does not move unless a violent tug--crash. The rubber is actually tape. See pic.
Dec 29, 2004, 02:15 PM
Thread OP

Landing gear mod #2

The gear is way too wimpy. It spreads apart just sitting there. This mod consists of a piece of wire held on with thread and CA. This holds the rubber bands in the right spot.
Dec 29, 2004, 02:18 PM
Thread OP

This next one is detailing, not really a mod.

Adhesive checker board.
Dec 29, 2004, 02:49 PM
Great thread, I've been thinking about moving my servos from the bottom wing to the top as well and moving them closer to the ailerons.

I agree, I had to swap my control horns around a few times to get them to work right.

It's a great flying bird, love the way it just floats around in a harrier.
Dec 29, 2004, 02:50 PM
BTW, the checkers are cool, did you use a sharpie or is that checker board trim tape?

Quick Reply