Thread Tools
Sep 01, 2018, 04:00 PM
Registered User
Brynmr's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Osprey 3000 REF Electric


Ordered from HyperFlight on Tues evening - received package today in good order. That's fast!!

This is one beautiful plane! Wow! The quality is similar to the purple 2M Pulsar I once owned. Same color purple I believe as well. Few instructions but the build looks fairly easy (knock on fiberglass).

I'll add a few build pics as I go but this will likely be my winter build since I blew all my airplane money. Maybe my Fall build. Super pleased with what I'm seeing so far. Btw, shipping came to $116.

https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/produc...house-electric
Last edited by Brynmr; Sep 03, 2018 at 04:43 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2018, 04:33 AM
Registered User
Brynmr's Avatar
Thread OP
Dry fitted the parts. Dihedrals similar to the 3.2m Pulsar REF. I love the pre-installed pushrod tubes in the boom. Very nice. Anyone has one of these (or the Circle Dancer) please comment. Finishing up my Art Hobby Serena this week then I'll start the Osprey build proper.
Last edited by Brynmr; Sep 03, 2018 at 08:12 AM.
Sep 03, 2018, 06:13 AM
32.4316 N, 80.6698 W
Nice
Sep 04, 2018, 12:04 PM
Registered User
landru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmr
...This is one beautiful plane! Wow! ...
Agreed. I have the full-house version. It's a lovely thermal performer, and very agile, too. This past weekend, I had great fun with it repeatedly catching small thermals right off the deck and riding them up to height.

I found this detailed build thread helpful:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...House-Electric

Best,
Andrew
Sep 05, 2018, 02:52 AM
Registered User
Brynmr's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru
Agreed. I have the full-house version. It's a lovely thermal performer, and very agile, too. This past weekend, I had great fun with it repeatedly catching small thermals right off the deck and riding them up to height.

I found this detailed build thread helpful:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...House-Electric

Best,
Andrew
Thanks Andrew - I've been looking through that thread. Almost identical to the Osprey. I figured it would be a good performer but great to hear it from another owner.
Sep 05, 2018, 06:33 AM
Registered User
Brynmr's Avatar
Thread OP
Andrew: I noticed there are 2 large strips of carbon support in the fuse. Does the antenna need to be run on the outside?
Sep 05, 2018, 09:22 AM
Registered User
landru's Avatar
I decided to run the antennas outside the fuselage for that reason.

In my mine, I placed the elevator and rudder servos and the receiver in the pylon area of the fuse and ran the antennas out just under the wing. That way, there's lots of room in the forward fuse to position batteries of different sizes. Mind you, I've only flown it on 3S 1800mAh packs so far.
Sep 05, 2018, 06:39 PM
Registered User
Brynmr's Avatar
Thread OP
Soooo... Spektrum discontinues their $40 AR6255 carbon fuse receiver and offers the AR6270T at twice the price with telemetry I don't want or need.

Anyone know of an alternative Spektrum receiver?
Sep 06, 2018, 04:41 PM
Registered User
Brynmr's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru
I decided to run the antennas outside the fuselage for that reason.

In my mine, I placed the elevator and rudder servos and the receiver in the pylon area of the fuse and ran the antennas out just under the wing. That way, there's lots of room in the forward fuse to position batteries of different sizes. Mind you, I've only flown it on 3S 1800mAh packs so far.
Picked up this guy. I'm going to try running the antenna on the inside along the top fold of the pylon seat. Will test of course. Should work.

ps. bought the wife some expensive watercolors for balance.
Sep 06, 2018, 05:37 PM
Registered User
landru's Avatar
I love the clean-shaven look of no whiskers.

Having experienced loss of control due to antenna shading and/or poor antenna alignment, I usually put up with whiskers hanging out.

In my case, the control loss only occurred in a very specific orientation of the model to the Tx. It happened twice before I clued in. I was lucky not to lose the plane. And it happened in a model with no carbon in the fuse.

YMMV
Last edited by landru; Sep 06, 2018 at 05:44 PM.
Sep 06, 2018, 07:01 PM
Registered User
Brynmr's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru
I love the clean-shaven look of no whiskers.

Having experienced loss of control due to antenna shading and/or poor antenna alignment, I usually put up with whiskers hanging out.

In my case, the control loss only occurred in a very specific orientation of the model to the Tx. It happened twice before I clued in. I was lucky not to lose the plane. And it happened in a model with no carbon in the fuse.

YMMV
I'm no stranger to control loss. Forgot to rotate antenna out of the carbon boom of my 2M Pulsar and dorked it into terra firma.

I've never lost control of any of my Art Hobby planes or my Lil Bird.
Sep 06, 2018, 07:06 PM
Registered User
landru's Avatar
Ouch on the Pulsar!
Sep 06, 2018, 07:54 PM
Registered User
Brynmr's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru
Ouch on the Pulsar!
Hurt all the more because I merely forgot. Unforced error. Only the fuse pod was damaged (and replaced) - uncanny and very lucky.

I may put the receiver under the pylon as well because with only 7in of antenna length it puts the whiskers where I hold to launch or where I want to catch. But I think that puts the receiver beyond the reach of the ESC.

Got any photos?
Sep 06, 2018, 11:18 PM
Registered User
landru's Avatar
Sure! I'll snap and post a few pics tomorrow.

In mine, I mounted the receiver in the pylon on a removable platform above the rudder and elevator servos. To minimize wiring connections (think full-house version), I installed an SBUS converter in the wing.

The ESC lead on my CC Phoenix Lite 50 is long enough to reach the receiver IIRC.

Did you like your Pulsar 2m? Can it handle some wind?
Sep 07, 2018, 07:22 AM
Registered User
Brynmr's Avatar
Thread OP
My Pulsar was... difficult. The build was arduous, tedious and frustrating. Hardest build ever but built really well due to my perfectionist tendencies. After the crash and replaced fuse pod, I sold it. I realize planes don't have feelings but this plane did not like me. There was a jinx afoot. However, it's the only plane I really regret selling. I never flew it in wind (I maybe did 2 early morning flights) so I can't answer your question.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Build Thread - Circle Dancer 3000 Full House Electric Troy388 Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring 36 Sep 19, 2019 03:44 AM
Vtol Electric Twin Osprey V22 Similar vtolman Coaxial Helicopters 193 Jul 18, 2019 10:43 AM
Discussion Travel Air 2000/3000/4000 also CW-14, Speedwing, Sportsman and Osprey TedD60 Scale Drawings and Three Views 2 Sep 20, 2016 03:08 PM
Discussion 4 channel radio setup for electric RES/REF soholingo Electric Sailplanes 7 Mar 26, 2007 05:42 PM