This thread is privately moderated by solentlife, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 01, 2018, 05:10 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Thread OP
Discussion

All those models we have sitting around ...

I don't know about 'you' but I have a large number of models covering cars, boats, heli's, multi-rotors and fixed wing.

I sit there sometimes and just consider why i have so many. Is it the love of using so many different ? Is it the looking at them and knowing all mine ? Is it the joy of putting them together and seeing them create in my hands ?

I really do not know. But what I do know is that over 50% do not get to be used as I develop a collection that travels usually to / from flight / model area. I cannot really say I prefer those models - but somehow i feel more confident with them.

Lately - I have been looking through my vast hangar and checking out which is still really in condition to see use again. Its terrible to admit this - but near all are fit to go. Its a sad indictment of my waste of good models.

Additionally its terrible that I still scan through Hobby King ... and various online sites looking for the next model !
When at the PC ... one of the websites usually open ... Windguru ... checking out the weather over next days !!

Am I alone in this or is it really a common problem ?

I don't want a cure .. no way ... but would be nice to know I'm not alone !

Nigel
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2018, 06:33 AM
Definitely not alone... I'm always looking for my next plane.. even though I don't even have the space to out on my hangar lol
Sep 01, 2018, 08:04 AM
AMA 79169
If you are an active flyer (difficult to define) models tend to crash and go beyond repair. Therefore the 'herd' is thinned naturally.

It could be a variation of 'new toy syndrome' common with children (some would say we are still children).

It could be you enjoy collecting and building, flying less and taking less risk of destruction.

On a personal note I have to fight the same urges to acquire a new plane. It may be we should start donating older gear to younger modelers and keep the hobby growing (assuming the donation is not total junk).

Good questions that the hobby industry has probably studied before.

-=Doug
Sep 01, 2018, 09:56 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
I find myself asking the same question. I have probably 30 models including a rare 3d biplane that flies good but not great. I usually fly what I'm in the mood for, speed/3d or sport depending. I have two models ready for maiden but have yet to find time to try them out.
Sep 01, 2018, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
One of my biggest problems is that I repair near all crashes .... i suppose having grown up in the era of nothing got flown unless you built it ... has something to do with it.

I have a few models that are 'smashed' well beyond what most would term reasonable limits ... but they sit there waiting for me to piece together again ...

Nigel
Sep 02, 2018, 09:58 AM
Modeling Retread
I think this is the modern version of the guys who used to buy kit after kit, with no hope of ever building them.
Sep 02, 2018, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
Probably more true than we think !!
Sep 02, 2018, 11:27 AM
I just filled up my old Futaba 7c with my 10th model and haven't even flown 2 of them yet. Flew my Bush Mule once, made some tweaks, and it sat all year. Kind of a waste.

Somehow I always grab the Dynam Tiger Moth and wonder if all I really need is that, a low wing sport plane, and a glider to be happy. I am finding that I enjoy simple and robust 4 channel planes the most, my son and I are having a ball with his Dynam Hawksky and it's the cheapest plane in the fleet! So maybe I should buy more simple and robust planes...
Sep 02, 2018, 12:02 PM
Storm Runner guy
LOL..... and our wives just stare when something else arrives in the mail.
She used to have an Office room, which I call Davis Monthan.

A lot get dragged out for tests of new flight systems, or because they haven;t been flown in years. Others sit there, like they're waiting for a good calm spring day, eternally.

I once threw a bunch of them out and missed them immediately !
Sep 02, 2018, 12:06 PM
Thread OP
Most fun for me to fly ? Glue & Go MIG29 ............... cheap and cheerful but once I added rudders - it became THE machine ....

Then its Polaris / Arctic Cat flat plate machines ...

If I want character in the shows we do ... its the Tiger Moth.

I cannot lose the love I had for the Chris Foss Wot4 .... one of the best all rounder machines ever ....

But for my total nostalgia trip ..... its when I fire up my 40yr old Skymaster Biplane display machine. I knew Phil Ramsay who kitted it .... he was member of the Skyleader Radio team who display flew the Skymaster. At Sywell when I flew for McGregor (JR) he pushed me to have one of the original kits ..... one of the best decisions I ever made !

I am going to pick up from a guy in UK one of the original Skyleader Skymasters ...... to accompany my own !! Interested to see the 'number' on it .... It will take pride of place in my new Model den ..........

Nigel
Sep 02, 2018, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
I have over 50 RTG ...... so understand my problem !!

Electric ... Glow .... Gasoline .... and Glider

Nigel
Sep 02, 2018, 12:15 PM
AMA 79169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3
I think this is the modern version of the guys who used to buy kit after kit, with no hope of ever building them.
I think these fellows (and I am partially afflicted by this) are more collectors that builders.

Point in case: I have two NOS SIG Fairchild 24 models purchased in the last couple years from ebay sellers.
This is the same kit I never quite finished as a kid for control line. (The bones of that are around here somewhere...)
Now my plan is to make one (or both) into a small electric RC model.
The F-24 is my favorite golden era airplane and I got to spend time with a full size one years ago.
I have at least two sets of plans for larger F-24's in my plans collection -- that's another subset of the model plane hobby collectors entirely.

There is nothing wrong with this as the large and small model suppliers do not care if the planes are built -- though I do suspect they enjoy seeing their products in the air rather than on a shelf. There is also a tipping point where the hobbyist moves from the land of collecting into the realm of hoarding.

I visited a ham radio friend who was also a train modeler (not for me). His health was poor and looking at his collection I was certain he could not possibly live long enough to complete a tenth of the train car kits he had on hand. He was a single man, never married. On the other hand I am certain each and every purchase brought him some surge of pleasure.

I have no idea what became of his collection after his passing.

Buying is easier than building and far safer than flying.

-=Doug
Last edited by rdstarwalt; Sep 02, 2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: error
Sep 02, 2018, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
I am also a Train OO gauge collector ....

And a Slot Car racer !!

That really condemns me !

Nigel
Sep 02, 2018, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
I just had over $5000 worth of train gear stolen ................ much of it had been collected in my childhood ....

Nigel
Sep 02, 2018, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
I just had over $5000 worth of train gear stolen ................ much of it had been collected in my childhood ....

Nigel
Much of it irreplaceable .....

I had intended that I create a layout that could be lowered from ceiling in my new workshop. That is now in question. The Scalextrix Slot car racing will be !

Nigel

Quick Reply