Dec 14, 2018, 03:48 PM
That is cool that they finally came out with a Rustler 4x4. I told them that they should make them back in 2011 when I made the first ever Rustler 4x4 :P

Rustler 4x4 With ONE Motor Finished!!! (7 min 12 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2018, 03:58 PM
Car Bashing
Jang did it in 2011 also :
ShapeShifter: Pede 4x4 As... Rustler 4x4 (2 min 58 sec)

http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/shape-shifter/
Dec 25, 2018, 09:39 AM

Very bad design

I bought this car to my son. Car is naturally meant to use outside. Anyhow car is very badly protected against dust, snow, sand etc. So it is quickly collecting extra load inside and it’s difficult to clean after every run. Also Antenna installation is stupid design.

Many cheap Nikko cars are better design.
Dec 25, 2018, 10:53 AM
Car Bashing
Wow, this is rude lol. Ok Traxxas began by selling Nikko design cars. But, even if i'm not a huge fan of Traxxas, compare a Traxxas Ruslter 4x4 to a Nikko, wow, i wouldn't agree. Traxxas is far to have the best design but like almost all the off-road cars, the chassis will be dirty quickly, that's why you can put tissu to protect it for some cars.

Have you ever tried to use a Nikko on 3s
Dec 25, 2018, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
HAHA comparing a Traxxas to a Nikko is like saying a moped is better than a Ducati. or a Honda Accord to a Ferrari you get the idea lol

Nearly every 1/10 rc car is going to get dirty when driven outside. Heck almost any rc car is going to get dirty when driven outside. If you don't want it dirty then stay out of the dust, sand, snow, etc. If you run on short, dry grass and pavement it won't get dirty as badly.

As far as antenna, Traxxas waterproof box are the best I've used. I don't know why you think it's stupid.

I'm still laughing at the Nikko comparison lol
Latest blog entry: Life Updates :)
Dec 25, 2018, 04:08 PM
Really, your funndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler4x4 View Post
I bought this car to my son. Car is naturally meant to use outside. Anyhow car is very badly protected against dust, snow, sand etc. So it is quickly collecting extra load inside and it’s difficult to clean after every run. Also Antenna installation is stupid design.

Many cheap Nikko cars are better design.
Mar 24, 2019, 05:31 PM
34 years of flight.
I just picked up one of these at a swap meet yesterday. I don't think its stock, guess I should download the manual and check it out, but this one has a lot of aluminum parts on it. shock towers, wheel hubs shocks, the cambers. anyhow i am trying to figure out what wheels and tires will fit, I have a old old original was on 27mhz when first got Rustler 2wd and i found out its wheels won't fit cause they won't go over the camber arms... these wells seem to be lot deeper (wider) then the old ones
found these on ebay not sure they will work or not. only thing the ones on it right now say is Traxxas and on the inside of the rear ones say 4wd F-W dude said he had them so stuck them on i dont even think there the real stock rustler tires, he said this used to be a feista and he got all the parts to turn it into a 4x4 Rustler its got a 12T titan motor, but did gve me a brushless esc. i just have to get a motor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mounted-Tir...A/401698366212
Mar 24, 2019, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Nice! They look like a lot of fun.

As far as those tires go, they description says they are for the rustler 4x4 so I definitely think they’ll fit.

Post some pics of your truck and we’ll see what we can tell about it. He might have done some kind of mod and chanced the offset.
Mar 24, 2019, 07:24 PM
34 years of flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496 View Post
Nice! They look like a lot of fun.

As far as those tires go, they description says they are for the rustler 4x4 so I definitely think they’ll fit.

Post some pics of your truck and we’ll see what we can tell about it. He might have done some kind of mod and chanced the offset.
Well, i ended up trying my Stampede 4x4 VXL tires and they fit fine. I guess i killed the titan motor yesterday running it with a 5cell ni mh. no power today.. So trying find a brushless motor to go in it Cheap.
Mar 24, 2019, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Cool. Check out GoolRC combos on eBay. You can get a motor and esc for under $50 and a program card. If you stay with 2s Lipo you’ll be all set. 3s might require a better set up as the GoolRC combos don’t handle 3s that well.

Did you need a brushless esc or just motor??
Mar 24, 2019, 09:54 PM
34 years of flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496 View Post
Cool. Check out GoolRC combos on eBay. You can get a motor and esc for under $50 and a program card. If you stay with 2s Lipo you’ll be all set. 3s might require a better set up as the GoolRC combos don’t handle 3s that well.

Did you need a brushless esc or just motor??
Oh thanks, never checked them out before. well i have the vxl esc. not sure what all it will run.
but for now i ripped out the mamba system from my dads old 2wd rustler. its a 5700KV. using stock pinion it seems to have some get up and go but was dark when finished will have to try it out tomorrow. I mostly just run 2cell but i do run a 3s in my Stampede sometimes just to make it go wild crazy fast. i'm sure the rustler would handle the speed better its lower, and has the sway bars on it. these shocks seems really stiff to. not sure how good off road it will be.

These pictures were while in the middle of removing the old esc and motor.
Jan 18, 2022, 02:06 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Rustler VXL 067-4. So far I know I want a chassis cover and body reinforcement and body protector pieces. Not sure about the best place to buy them.

I'm also curious to know what upgrades make sense to do initially before adding any bling.

Also, what do you guys think about parts from Integy? Are there any upgrade companies to avoid?
Jan 21, 2022, 07:26 AM
I don't have a Rustler, but do have a Slash made into a buggy = a Backslash. These threads aren't really good at covering Traxxas vehicles, but their own forums are fantastic for info. You can zoom right in to the Rustler and even the Rustler 4x4 specifically. That being said, Integy is an Indian company and it gives you cheap bling parts that bring to mind "you get what you pay for". If you look at what guys post on those Traxxas forums, you'll see that guys are just as fussy about parts as they are about what they have to put the parts on. Traxxas gives you a lot of plastic that guys convert to metal. It doesn't come at a cheap price, though.
Please look at the Traxxas Rustler 4x4 forum and see/ read what guys have to say and what weaknesses they have found. Don't get an itchy trigger finger until you have all of the facts and opinions. This goes for just about any RC thing. It will still be there after you do your research. Here is something to get you started:

https://forums.traxxas.com/discussio...-brushless-vxl
Jan 24, 2022, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Flyer67 View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Rustler VXL 067-4. So far I know I want a chassis cover and body reinforcement and body protector pieces. Not sure about the best place to buy them.

I'm also curious to know what upgrades make sense to do initially before adding any bling.

Also, what do you guys think about parts from Integy? Are there any upgrade companies to avoid?
If you can buy at a LHS, do that. If not, I find Amazon has a good selection of RC stuff

As far as bling, there is a general theory that metal parts aren't the best. If you upgrade certain parts to metal (say an A-arm for example), that part might be stronger, but whatever it is bolted to is going to take the force. Also, metal parts have very little, if any, bend to them so where a plastic part might flex, the metal part will bend/snap.

With "regular" driving a Traxxas is pretty durable. If you launch them 30 feet into the air and crash, most any RC will break.

My experience with Traxxas trucks, and I've had probably 10+ Traxxas rigs, is to drive them stock and when something breaks THEN upgrade it.

My go-to for Traxxas upgrades is a company called RPM. They make plastic composite upgrade parts that are super durable (and they come in many colors too!). If you break an A-arm, then replace that. No point in replacing parts that aren't likely to break.

Hope this helps some!!

Quick Reply