Jul 23, 2019, 09:11 PM
@Dadio

Be careful. Earlier you pointed out the hot end should not go above 240*C. I think there is risk of melting the boden tube that sits down in hot end.

@mpjf01

I got the process from here. However, this guy makes it sound like a huge production. I use 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to one teaspoon of water cause i don't need that much. The whole process of wiping old stuff off bed, making sugar solution, to prep'ed bed takes me like 3 minutes.

Seems like you really need to try to enclose the printer to hold in the heat. I understand your concern about electronic health due to temp, but you should try some experiments to find what works. Running printer a handfull of times in hot environment is not going to hurt till you identify if it helps or not. If it helps, then you can devise more permanent solution like build an enclosure with electronics moved outside the enclosure.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2019, 05:56 AM
Success!!

I set the bed to 105C and the end to 250C. Instead of using the glass bed I used the magnetic sheet that came with the printer. I also reduced the Z offset by the 1st increment available.

After 7 hours printing I then had to spend another half hour getting the print off the bed. But it was great after all the failures.

I'm not sure now where I read that I should use a bed temperature of 60C for ABS, UTube I think.

Thanks to you both for the assistance. Now to remember where the instructions for assembling the scale are.
Jul 24, 2019, 07:02 AM
You welcome "share and enjoy" as I said I use Elmer's glue stick to help release the parts not to stick em down , glad your having success at last .
I use 60 for PLA , 85 for PETG and that works for me .
Jul 24, 2019, 05:52 PM
Which number glue stick do you use? It's not a common product here and i'll order from eBay but there seem to be several different types.
Jul 24, 2019, 07:15 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
I use the Elmer's Disappearing, washable, purple one., The small ones works, but I like the jumbo ones.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jul 24, 2019, 08:47 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
I use the Elmer's Disappearing, washable, purple one., The small ones works, but I like the jumbo ones.

SteveT.
Exact same ones I use. Works great! Our local Wally World regularly has 3 packs of the smaller ones for $1 so I just grab a few at a time. The knock off brands do not work any where near as well, so I will only buy actual Elmers brand.

Some of the off brands will gum up on itself, and start rolling up in clumps, if you pass the stick over it more than once during application. When this happens you have to clean the build plate again, and start fresh. Elmers brand has never done that to me.
Last edited by fastmax; Jul 24, 2019 at 08:57 PM.
Jul 25, 2019, 04:17 AM
Elmer's purple washable is what I use as well .
Micro Swiss all metal hot end ordered so Nylon here I come .
I had a setback yesterday with the rc car project I'm working on , I had the gearbox and gears all working made from PLA but that was never the material I had in mind , ABS for the gearbox case and Nylon for the gears is the plan , anyway I printed an ABS gearbox case , nice and slow 40mm p/s and 0.12 mm layer height 12.5 hours printing and it came out looking great .... But it had shrunk , no peeling off the bed and I let it cool before removing it from the bed but when in fitted the gears inside they were tight ,too tight and the added clearance for holes that PLA needs apparently ABS does not ! So the holes for the bearings to sit in were a little loose as well , not badly but its annoying , anyway I'll keep the box on one side because if I get really lucky the nylon gears that I'm planning will also shrink a bit and fit the ABS box perfectly , fingers crossed .
Jul 25, 2019, 11:07 AM
aka KF7DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
You welcome "share and enjoy" as I said I use Elmer's glue stick to help release the parts not to stick em down , glad your having success at last .
I use 60 for PLA , 85 for PETG and that works for me .
Thanks for the info on PETG....I tried printing a small quad frame and the end of one of the long arms curled at its end but only had a bed temp of 70C
Jul 25, 2019, 01:40 PM
Its just a matter of finding the sweet spot for your printer ,I don't think the thermisters are very accurate I'm sure my bed when it reads 85 is only 80ish really , the same goes for hot ends .
Jul 29, 2019, 10:18 AM
The Micro Swiss all metal hot end arrived today but I'm half way through printing a BioShock Splicer Bunny mask for my daughter so I'll have till tomorrow to fit it and start playing with it .
In the mean time some acetone came as well so I've been trying some ABS vapour smoothing , for some reason I got it in my head that it was a really fast process taking something like 20 seconds so I was a little disappointed at first , then I had a look at some YouTube clips and revised the time to an hour or more and the results are very good ,I'll stick some pictures up later .
Jul 29, 2019, 01:46 PM
Quote:
The Micro Swiss all metal hot end arrived today but I'm half way through printing a BioShock Splicer Bunny mask for my daughter so I'll have till tomorrow to fit it and start playing with it .
In the mean time some acetone came as well so I've been trying some ABS vapour smoothing , for some reason I got it in my head that it was a really fast process taking something like 20 seconds so I was a little disappointed at first , then I had a look at some YouTube clips and revised the time to an hour or more and the results are very good ,I'll stick some pictures up later .
Micros Swiss is pretty awesome, just make sure and use a different tip each time you change materials. You an use the same one but it can create issues.
If you can, try some Carbon Fiber. It blew my mind.
Jul 29, 2019, 02:28 PM
Thanks I have some brass nozzles I can use to swap material ,I guess they will fit .
Jul 30, 2019, 02:29 PM
I got time to fit the Micro Swiss all metal hot end today , I followed the instructions on the web site and it all went really smoothly , I guess I was expecting trouble after the grief I had with the cheap knock of version I tried before , its not changed the print quality at all but its nice to know I can now safely run higher temperatures , I've run 3 prints now and not a single issue , the knock off could barely get through an hours printing without a jam so I'm very happy .
Two of the prints have been lithophanes , very interesting prints , I'd recommend trying them at Lithophane Maker web site .
Aug 02, 2019, 11:56 AM
Quote:
I got time to fit the Micro Swiss all metal hot end today , I followed the instructions on the web site and it all went really smoothly , I guess I was expecting trouble after the grief I had with the cheap knock of version I tried before , its not changed the print quality at all but its nice to know I can now safely run higher temperatures , I've run 3 prints now and not a single issue , the knock off could barely get through an hours printing without a jam so I'm very happy .
Two of the prints have been lithophanes , very interesting prints , I'd recommend trying them at Lithophane Maker web site .
High temp is awesome.
Polycarbonite was fun but hard to print before I have an enclosure.
Aug 02, 2019, 04:42 PM
I have some Esun plain Nylon coming next week , I'd like to try some carbon nylon but its quite dear so its going to have to wait for now .

Quick Reply