Jul 09, 2019, 06:26 AM
I've posted this in the RC car section of the forum but you guys might like to take a look as its 3d printed on my Ender 3
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...b#post42261457
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2019, 01:23 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Very nice dadio!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jul 10, 2019, 04:00 PM
I've virtually got the gearbox working ! Printing gears is full of little complications , you can't have elephants foot and allowing for expansion , waiting till the gear is cool before removing it from the build plate to avoid warping , it all takes patience and lots of test prints , I think I'm on my 4th set of gears printing now !
Jul 12, 2019, 10:37 AM
aka KF7DS
What type of filament?
Jul 13, 2019, 03:25 AM
Its all PLA at the moment but I'm planning Nylon gears ,maybe an ABS gearbox , I wanted to get the design out of the way before waisting exotic filaments and I'm still trying to get my all metal hot end working well .
Jul 16, 2019, 10:49 PM
Me and a guy with a mustache
That Dogfighter is pretty sweet. I've been thinking about making some replacement parts for my Kyosho F1 car. I broke one of the rear suspension arms years ago and now parts are no longer available.
May I make a couple of filament suggestions for your gears? Instead of straight Nylon, try a CF(carbon fiber)/Nylon or GF(glass fiber)/Nylon hybrid. These are more stable to print and stronger than straight Nylon. They are also less hygroscopic. eSun makes versions of both though there are probably others as well.
Jul 18, 2019, 04:01 AM
Thanks I'm always open to advice, I'll take a look at those filaments , its all on hold for a week or two anyway as I have other unavoidable stuff to do and not much time to do it .
Jul 21, 2019, 04:21 PM
I just proved to the wife that the printer is a household utility , the gas meter outside the house is in a plastic housing and the hinges have been broken for the door to the housing for a while so I designed a hinge that prints in place to replace them and it worked ! Its my first print in place design and I'm well chuffed !, its printed in ABS as its to be outside in the elements ,I've printed a load of fun print in place stuff from Thingiverse and way more clever than my simple hinge but its still very satisfying .
Jul 21, 2019, 10:06 PM
@dadio

Do you use an enclosure when printing ABS?
Jul 22, 2019, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgriffith
@dadio

Do you use an enclosure when printing ABS?
Yes I do but its nothing special and probably a bit big ,I'm not printing very tall parts so shrinking or splitting have not been a problem so far .
Jul 22, 2019, 11:18 AM
Since my Ender is down while I wait for my new mainboard to come in. I have been printing on the Tevo Tornado for a few weeks now and it is a pretty good machine.
If you need larger build volume it's nice and pretty close to Creality in terms of quality.
Best part is the super fast bed heating. Takes like a minute or two to heat up to temp.

Down side is the cabling is total garbage. I need to come up with something better then what it currently has.
Jul 23, 2019, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
Yes I do but its nothing special and probably a bit big ,I'm not printing very tall parts so shrinking or splitting have not been a problem so far .
I would be interested in advice how to prevent longer parts from shrinking when cooling. The ends lift and the print comes off the bed, usually part is hit by the print head which drags it all off.

I originally had this issue with PLA and built an enclosure to lift ambient temperature to around 30 degrees C and that pretty much fixed it, but nothing I have tried so far works with ABS. I have tried different bed temperatures up to 60C, head temps up to 230C, hairspray on glass, gluestick on glass, mounting spray on glass, painter's tape on glass and on steel bed, each with several different head/bed temp combinations. 3 different filament brands. I have a bin full of failed prints. 3 weeks so far trying to print a base for a CG scale.

Other people seem to be able to print with ABS OK so clearly I'm either doing something basic incorrectly or my printer is faulty in some way.

Any help appreciated.
Jul 23, 2019, 07:20 AM
In the few months I've been printing, I had a few (less than 5) PET-G prints curl up off the bed at corner. Those incidents only happened when my print item was not that big and had a corner that was isolated from rest of shape. No other issues with PLA and PET-G. I have not tried ABS yet. My printer is in my garage which is usually 10*F hotter than outside temp(prob. like 110*F/43*C) and has no air currents. Other than that, I use glass bed with sugar solution as bed prep and only had one print not stay down; I attribute that to trying to reuse a prep'ed bed a third print. Now I prep bed every print.

As dadio says, you can always try a simple box-over-printer enclosure just to see if it helps. I have tried, only two times, to wrap insulated bubble wrap(known by brand Reflectix?) around the printer. This creates a cylinder around printer and is open at top. When I did this, I could notice the heated air rising out of cylinder.

One other thing is that your bed temp is 60*C. You can try 70 or 75*C to see if that helps.
Jul 23, 2019, 08:03 AM
For ABS I'm running my bed at 105C so I think that may be the problem for you if your only using 60C on the bed , my hot end is set at 260 but but I think it over reads, its probably closer to 255 really at the nozzle . The other things to try are lowering the Z offset a bit to squish it into the bed more and to add a brim , I use Elmer's glue as well but that's more to help get things off the bed than stick them more ,my bed surface is a cheap one from Banggood that was on sale because it has a picture of Santa and Merry Christmas on it , not sure what its made of but I virtually have to chisel prints off it !
Last edited by dadio; Jul 23, 2019 at 08:10 AM.
Jul 23, 2019, 10:05 AM
At present the normal temperature in my shed where the printer is situated is about 10 degrees C, that's why I built a heated box to run the printer in, but have set it to 30C as I'm worried that much hotter might start to damage the electronics etc.

In summer the shed gets to 55C at times so I'll be cooling things down I imagine, haven't had the printer during summer yet.

I am using a brim or raft with all prints. I'll increase the bed temp and see what happens.

I haven't heard of the sugar solution option, what does that consist of (aside from sugar presumably) as I'd like to try that.

Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply