Oct 18, 2020, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhonb
Do you guys ever lube your printer?
I purchased a CNC router and its a big thing to keep it lubed. but I never read anything in the forums about lubing a 3D printer. Ant they are basically the same.
There is a lot more swarf and dust on a router than a printer so lube may be more important along with cleaning ?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2020, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
There is a lot more swarf and dust on a router than a printer so lube may be more important along with cleaning ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
For my Ender 3, I lube the Acme lead screw for the Z axis and the linear rail for my Y axis. The X is still riding on the stock POM rollers. I just changed the Acme nut for the Z axis from brass to POM so I won't be needing to lube that anymore.
Thanks, I will give a little dry lube to my ender 3. I have a new Ender 5 pro that has been sitting in the box for a week or so. I hope to that up and running very soon.
Oct 27, 2020, 11:00 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Printed and built the Teeny Tiny Trainer recently. My favorite printed frame so far.
Latest blog entry: Nano Ripper Ductless "Whoop"
Oct 27, 2020, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Printed and built the Teeny Tiny Trainer recently. My favorite printed frame so far.
Nice job. How does it fly?
Oct 29, 2020, 06:36 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhonb
Nice job. How does it fly?
Thanks! Very well! It's super stable and feels like a much larger quad than it actually is.
Nov 20, 2020, 03:13 AM
Me and a guy with a mustache
In case anyone is interested, AliExpress is having a Black Friday sale on the Ender 3X for US$167 with free shipping starting on November 23. That price is and free shipping is from their US warehouse and I assume shipping to a US address.
Nov 24, 2020, 10:16 AM
Woot.com has the ender 3 pro today only, for $179.99 with free shipping for prime members. (Woot is a amazon company)
Nov 27, 2020, 03:08 PM
Lots of good deals on Amazon prime for all kinds of 3D stuff. I really don't need anything, but that did not stop me from buying a bunch of crap.
Since I got my new printer, my old one is now on my workbench in the garage. So one of the things I purchased a filament dryer so I don't have to keep pulling out the filament and bringing it into the house between prints. It should also be helpful if I have issues with a bad reel of filament. Although I have never had issues in the past, you never know.
Nov 28, 2020, 12:57 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
I've ordered a few 3D printing related things from Amazon today as well. Nothing I "needed" but had to grab some sale items. They certainly won't go to waste.
Dec 15, 2020, 02:45 PM
I have been printing with my new Ender 5 Pro now for about two months. Once I got this adjusted and running it has performed like a champ. I am running all stock with the exception of a few add-ons I made on the printer. After the first week, I hadn't even have to level the bed (Well until I started a new print without removing the old print.) I thought I was in love with the glass bed, but this magnetic one is even better. No more clamps or glue or even cleaning. Builds and brims pop right off. I did damage it as it is nowhere as strong as the hard bed or the glass bed, but I know now how to treat it and once the bed got leveled properly, there are no issues anyway. I picked up a new one on Amazon and also a spare in case I get crazy again.
I have had a lot less issues with this printer than I had with my Ender 3 even thought most of the components are the same. Not sure why, I guess it is the mechanics.

I wanted to get the Ender 5 Plus for bigger builds, but it has the noisy mother board and I keep my printer in my office and did not want to have to change the motherboard out on a new machine.
Dec 16, 2020, 09:53 AM
I got an Ender 3 Pro in the mail after a Black Friday sale, $188.
Never used a 3D printer before. Also got the upgrade parts for the extruder and capricorn tube and main board.

Took me about 5 hours to put together, but I'm mostly blind so that's not weird.

Printed a cal cube. Got just, ecstatic when I got something to finish on the 2nd try. It was really ugly, but it finished. Come to find out after a lot of head scratching that I was crazy overextruding, 100mm gave me 128mm. Had to dial my esteps back to 73 which seemed to be the sweet spot. Printed 14 more cubes, with varying changes.

4 days after I got the printer, the Micro Swiss extruder parts / hotend showed up 4 days later from my Dad as my xmas present. Before installing it I printed up some parts for my Stratosurfer FPV plane, some cat ears for my daughter, and a tiara.

Just installed the new extruder parts/hotend, re-levelled the bed while it was hot, then had to spend 7 more cubes of prints dialing in the esteps once more.
Printed a few more cubes. Getting it really dialed in now.

I was wondering if I'd see a difference in the cube with the new parts, wasn't really expecting to see much. Was pretty surprised with the quality upgrade on the first print.

Having been toying around with dozens of settings. Learning to use retraction, speeds, temps, support, and skirts/brims. Had to use a brim on the cat ears cuz they were lifting up where it was really thin, worked really well.

I skipped using PLA completely and started out totally green with PETG. Have been using Overture PETG, 240/83.

Sneaking up on a week into this and LOVING IT!!!! I don't have years under my belt or anything, just wanted to mention that I'm absolutely stoked with the Ender 3 Pro.
At first when I saw the price I just wanted to pay more to get a better quality machine. I didn't want a $200 machine at first. Studied up more on it, read reviews. Totally thrilled with the experience so far.
Dec 16, 2020, 11:06 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Welcome to the wonderful world of 3D printing. Glad to hear you're having fun with it.
Dec 16, 2020, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousPenguin
I got an Ender 3 Pro in the mail after a Black Friday sale, $188.
Never used a 3D printer before. Also got the upgrade parts for the extruder and capricorn tube and main board.

Took me about 5 hours to put together, but I'm mostly blind so that's not weird.

Printed a cal cube. Got just, ecstatic when I got something to finish on the 2nd try. It was really ugly, but it finished. Come to find out after a lot of head scratching that I was crazy overextruding, 100mm gave me 128mm. Had to dial my esteps back to 73 which seemed to be the sweet spot. Printed 14 more cubes, with varying changes.

4 days after I got the printer, the Micro Swiss extruder parts / hotend showed up 4 days later from my Dad as my xmas present. Before installing it I printed up some parts for my Stratosurfer FPV plane, some cat ears for my daughter, and a tiara.

Just installed the new extruder parts/hotend, re-levelled the bed while it was hot, then had to spend 7 more cubes of prints dialing in the esteps once more.
Printed a few more cubes. Getting it really dialed in now.

I was wondering if I'd see a difference in the cube with the new parts, wasn't really expecting to see much. Was pretty surprised with the quality upgrade on the first print.

Having been toying around with dozens of settings. Learning to use retraction, speeds, temps, support, and skirts/brims. Had to use a brim on the cat ears cuz they were lifting up where it was really thin, worked really well.

I skipped using PLA completely and started out totally green with PETG. Have been using Overture PETG, 240/83.

Sneaking up on a week into this and LOVING IT!!!! I don't have years under my belt or anything, just wanted to mention that I'm absolutely stoked with the Ender 3 Pro.
At first when I saw the price I just wanted to pay more to get a better quality machine. I didn't want a $200 machine at first. Studied up more on it, read reviews. Totally thrilled with the experience so far.
I like you knew nothing about 3-D printing. I got an Ender 3 on one of those daily deal sites. It sat in the box in my office for about 3 months until I had time to play with it. Fortunately for me, my ender 3 worked great out of the box. I never had to mess with any settings. I printed that Benchy boat and it was real fine.
When I got my ender 5, I had stringing issues. But it was at the same time I upgraded to Cura 4.7. then I read that 4.7 caused the stringing. I was about to downgrade and 4.8 came out and that solved the problem.

You will go through great times and bad times, but just come here or to other 3d printing forums and watch a lot of youtube videos.

Fo the longest time, I did not do any upgrades except for adding a raspberry pi. They eliminate having to plug in and out the damn tiny sd card. Its all done wirelessly. And for less than 10 bucks, you can add a camera to monitor your prints on your phone or tablet.
Have fun
Dec 16, 2020, 06:56 PM
I'm using Cura 4.8.

Is there a away to edit this edge artifact so the edge is clean, so they don't wrap back around right at the corner?
It shows up on the print and looks funky. Just wondering.
Dec 16, 2020, 09:27 PM
Since becoming legally blind I had to ditch most of my other hobbies from being either too dangerous or to difficult to do without being able to drive. Got into ham radio, then rc airplanes. I can't fly line of sight worth a crap but I use my 50" plasma tv as an fpv display (and computer monitor), using my 5th wheel RV as my base station. I have a 38' push up mast strapped to the rear ladder, atop which I put my antennas. LMR400 down to the ground bar and up into the RV.

I was flying a Aeroscout with 5.8 fpv; but even though where I live is rural and rugged, there's several 2.4G data beams shooting all over the place here providing internet. My internet is shot in 40 miles across the desert to the top of a ridge where it's repeated 3 more times down to the RV. So, lots of 2.4G interference, even though it's not a city.
With the Holystone quad that I got, it hits these beams and initiates RTH. So I've been able to roughly map out where they are in the air by just running into them with the quad.

Recently got the Stratosurfer plane kit. Building it up with Ezuhf in 433MHz to both get out of the 2.4 mess and increase range, and using RMRC 1.2G vtx.

Sooo... long story short, I don't leave the RV much. The printer is set up in here but hates swirling air currents so I haven't been running the furnace. But it's been about 26F at night, so by the time 7am rolled around and I was still printing cube after cube to dial my settings in... I kept having the print lose bed adhesion...

I've got blankets and Reflectix sheeting wrapped all around my printer on the table, a blanket hung across the slideout that it's located in. I finally couldn't maintain the inside air temp above mabe 50F and all the prints were coming off.

Pretty sure my next major "addition" to it will be a cabinet to build around it. I need a better way of maintaining the temp of the surrounding air volume while keeping it still.

The Stratosurfer has a blow-molded plastic fuselage which is largely hollow. I found a gent named Qvale who prints tons of parts for the plane, and I really liked his twin tractor wing pods.... So I decided to buy the 3D printer.

I've been really stoked that it's something I can do, learn, get results from that I still have to be patient for, but isn't as weather dependent as flying itself is.
I found that as much as I love flying, the stars basically have to align for me to get a day doing it.

3D printing I can just slave away at and at least feel iike I'm doing ....something.

Quick Reply