Nov 03, 2020, 08:14 AM

Auri slope soaring in Montana

I took the Auri out west, to Montana's lovely Yellowstone river valley, for a month.

Video evidence here! All slope soaring since by then thermals were in short supply.

On youtube:
Slope soaring in Montana with an Auri DLG/F3K -- "From the Volga to the Yellowstone" (4 min 18 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2020, 11:15 AM

Auri maiden flight

Took my AURI out for the maiden flight on Saturday. Wish I had video but only have a picture after the flight. After three light tosses to check trims and balance (one click of down was all it took) I tried a hard throw. I have never done DLGs before, so the spinning motion to launch was slow and a little off, but to my amazement it went up 70 to 80 feet. Within 10 seconds I caught a thermal (with the help and guidance of my friend Chris) and was up to 400 feet within 2 minutes. OMG, what a plane. What a maiden flight!! This will be one of the top three planes I go to now.
Nov 08, 2020, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbaloo1
Took my AURI out for the maiden flight on Saturday. Wish I had video but only have a picture after the flight. After three light tosses to check trims and balance (one click of down was all it took) I tried a hard throw. I have never done DLGs before, so the spinning motion to launch was slow and a little off, but to my amazement it went up 70 to 80 feet. Within 10 seconds I caught a thermal (with the help and guidance of my friend Chris) and was up to 400 feet within 2 minutes. OMG, what a plane. What a maiden flight!! This will be one of the top three planes I go to now.
Sounds like a maiden of dreams Kirbaloo! Well done sir

@ samwilkin: Amazing place/views! Thanks for sharing,

The Auri looks so good/right in the air =)
Nov 23, 2020, 03:31 PM
On the threshold of buying.
Two piece wing? Why not?

And using Futaba T14SG, with a n R7003SB, because I want Vario, I need to use a couple of SBUS2 servos. Specifically S3776SB micros. 21.8x12x31.8, 10 grams. Will they fit ok?
A bit bigger than KTS 04s, but not a lot.
Nov 24, 2020, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBJ
On the threshold of buying.
Two piece wing? Why not?

And using Futaba T14SG, with a n R7003SB, because I want Vario, I need to use a couple of SBUS2 servos. Specifically S3776SB micros. 21.8x12x31.8, 10 grams. Will they fit ok?
A bit bigger than KTS 04s, but not a lot.
The benefit of a two piece wing is small for most people most of the time as the majority will keep it assembled in its 1.5m state. A one piece wing is lighter, simpler, and more likely to be in stock - we have some one piece wings (only) on the way to us.

No I don't think those servos will fit. Also the supplied servo tray is designed for KST X08 servos. Other servos are likely to need mods to this or a new tray completely.

Neil
www.hyperflight.co.uk
Dec 07, 2020, 04:28 PM
The file for the 3-D print from a caliber to measure the flaps from the auri is brillant ...
I found it in this thread ...

Forgot the name from the designer ... but thank you !

Nayy
Dec 07, 2020, 09:24 PM
mth
mth
Still need to print one.
Dec 11, 2020, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrrcg
3D-printed a flaperon deflection gauge similar to the one I made for my Armsoar Deviant. It makes setting up the deflections a lot easier.

My Auri is all balanced up and ready to go. Still waiting for suitable weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrrcg
Of course!

The attached STL file is for the right side. Print with the gauge face down. So you will have to make a rotation of the object in the slicer on the appropriate axis. FYI, the gauge face is angled 6.5 deg from vertical to match the wing dihedral angle.

The left side is just a mirror image and can be printed using the mirroring function in the slicer. Most slicers should be able to do this.

After printing the two halves, drill out screw hole on one half to a little larger than 3mm to allow an M3 screw to go through the drilled side without threading. The screw will tap into the undrilled side.

There are also two, smaller holes on the inside face. Use short lengths of filament inserted into these two holes to act as alignment guides for the two halves. You might have to clean up these two holes with a 1.8mm bit to allow a piece of filament to fitly snugly.

The markings on the outside of the arc are in 2mm increments. The markings on the inside of the arc are in 15 deg increments with 5 degree sub-increments between 15 and 45 degrees. The markings are grooved into the face and I filled mine in with a white Sharpie paint pen.
Brilliant functional simple custom design dingrrcg! Love the colour as well
I would defo buy one if they where available to purchase.

Just an idea or two, how about the markings being printed onto the surface (protruding a tad) instead being grooved and also the 2mm increments lowered to 1mm?
Perhaps possible to use a different colour filament for the markings?
Dec 13, 2020, 07:54 PM
Just another user...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc RC Pilot
Brilliant functional simple custom design dingrrcg! Love the colour as well
I would defo buy one if they where available to purchase.

Just an idea or two, how about the markings being printed onto the surface (protruding a tad) instead being grooved and also the 2mm increments lowered to 1mm?
Perhaps possible to use a different colour filament for the markings?
Good ideas. Anything is possible if one is willing to put more effort into the design. But I just wanted something something functional that I could quickly whip up and print.

When I get another DLG, I will refine the design when I make a flap gauge for it.
Dec 27, 2020, 09:42 AM
Hi all,

When I bought my auri I also bought the ballast kit ...
did not use it until now. Yesterday I installed the set ... now have to test it.
I have 20,40 an 60 g.

Anybody who can share just thoughts/ experience of ballisting an Auri ?

Happy flying to all,

Nayy
Dec 28, 2020, 08:16 PM
mth
mth
Once you use them you will almost always use them.
Jan 31, 2021, 10:54 PM
DLG Fan

Auri Shipping Damage

I am looking for advice on how to deal with aileron shipping damage.

Although the damage is minor, I'd like to repair or reinforce it before it gets worse. I am considering flattening the bent material and then reinforcing it with either a layer of clear packing tape or a layer of 1/4 oz fiberglass.

Suggestions appreciated,
RobertR
Feb 01, 2021, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rent
I am looking for advice on how to deal with aileron shipping damage.

Although the damage is minor, I'd like to repair or reinforce it before it gets worse. I am considering flattening the bent material and then reinforcing it with either a layer of clear packing tape or a layer of 1/4 oz fiberglass.

Suggestions appreciated,
RobertR
I had the same type of damage (on both wings)... exactly the same place and I know another one who had the same damage...

That happens when they keep throwing contest with the boxes during shipment...

I repaired like this: (got tips from an experienced builder)

Gently Push the tips with you finger tips in the correct direction/position.
pack the damaged airea in (quality) clear packing tape.
You can inject (needle on the bottle) thin CA in the damaged area through the skin to reattach the skin to the core... let cure overnight.
Laminate a small piece of carbon on the badly damage surface. biggest cracks if this is you throwing wing... otherwise not necessery.

Carefull with that CA... it likes to run everywhere and glues everyting together.

This will not affect the performance of your glider...

My repair was done a year ago, have thrown the plane probably more than 500 times and no problems at all...

Happy flying !,

Nayy
Feb 01, 2021, 07:41 PM
DLG Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayy
I had the same type of damage (on both wings)... exactly the same place and I know another one who had the same damage...

That happens when they keep throwing contest with the boxes during shipment...

I repaired like this: (got tips from an experienced builder)

Gently Push the tips with you finger tips in the correct direction/position.
pack the damaged airea in (quality) clear packing tape.
You can inject (needle on the bottle) thin CA in the damaged area through the skin to reattach the skin to the core... let cure overnight.
Laminate a small piece of carbon on the badly damage surface. biggest cracks if this is you throwing wing... otherwise not necessery.

Carefull with that CA... it likes to run everywhere and glues everyting together.

This will not affect the performance of your glider...

My repair was done a year ago, have thrown the plane probably more than 500 times and no problems at all...

Happy flying !,

Nayy
That is excellent advice. I knew that I could count on RCGroups' forum dwellers for a solution.

May I ask for clarification of your remark "pack the damaged airea in (quality) clear packing tape". Are you recommending placing a single layer of clear packing tape over the flattened area or something more complex?

FYI - Below are the CA injection needles that I use. They can be purchased from Amazon

Thanks and regards,
RobertR
Feb 02, 2021, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rent

May I ask for clarification of your remark "pack the damaged area in (quality) clear packing tape". Are you recommending placing a single layer of clear packing tape over the flattened area or something more complex?

Thanks and regards,
RobertR
Yes, just a single layer of clear packing tape where you will inject the thin CA... the CA will soak in the foam and stick everyting together. The packing tape is just to protect the surface from the CA. Otherwise you'll have a 'white mist' from the CA on the surface. Once cured ( overnight, or longer depends how much you inject) you can remove the packing tape and you will only have very small marks from the needle.
The aileron does not contain (almost no) foam, you can go via the back that is probably opened to avoid punctures through the skin... take care the CA runs everywhere in the aileron...

nayy

Quick Reply