Aug 30, 2018, 02:11 PM
BTW, IIRC YMMV, IMHO

Hi all,

I just got my membership letter today and hope to head out to the field next week but want to find out if someone is going to be around that could show me the ropes, so to speak, with regard to field etiquette and such. I have read the club rules but I've never been to an airfield so I don't want to make a bad first impression. I work from home so am pretty flexible time-wise and live 25 minutes away in SW Portland.

Just to give you an idea of where I'm at in the hobby: I'm new to RC airplanes, though I dabbled with micro-helis 10 years ago. I've built two foam-board planes (Flite Test Mini Scout and Mini Trainer) and have been able to fly the Scout (24" w-span ) at local parks but it's awkward with dogs and kids about and my lack of skill. The trainer is larger (38" w-span) and needs more space to fly (hence my reason for joining Fly-A-Ways). So I'm not a complete newbie but very inexperienced.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Regards,
Tom.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2018, 02:27 PM
Hey Tom, Welcome to Fly-a-Ways!

You sound like me 2 years ago. Did a little FT building and flying in my local parks. The field and crew at Fly-a-Ways really helped me gain confidence and skills in a hurry. You will find some of the experienced folks at the field during the week between 10am and 2pm.

If you check the field cam (https://webcam.io/webcams/9Rmp1M) , you will see the windsock and can usually tell if anyone is flying. If the gate is open (horizontal white line at top right of cam) that usually means that someone is at the field.

You definitely want (and I believe are required) to have a club ambassador give you a orientation briefing. Takes about 10 mins and covers fields rules and etiquette. Feel free to introduce yourself to anyone at the field. We're all friendly and welcoming.

Welcome to the Club - we are glad to have you join us!
Aug 31, 2018, 12:25 AM

Hi Tom, Welcome!
I am in SW Portland, Hillsdale, near Terwilliger and Barbur.
I am hoping to fly this weekend, but if you are nearby, I would be happy to meet and talk planes and talk Fly A Ways.
Jeff
516-236-9277

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohort
Hi all,

I just got my membership letter today and hope to head out to the field next week but want to find out if someone is going to be around that could show me the ropes, so to speak, with regard to field etiquette and such. I have read the club rules but I've never been to an airfield so I don't want to make a bad first impression. I work from home so am pretty flexible time-wise and live 25 minutes away in SW Portland.

Just to give you an idea of where I'm at in the hobby: I'm new to RC airplanes, though I dabbled with micro-helis 10 years ago. I've built two foam-board planes (Flite Test Mini Scout and Mini Trainer) and have been able to fly the Scout (24" w-span ) at local parks but it's awkward with dogs and kids about and my lack of skill. The trainer is larger (38" w-span) and needs more space to fly (hence my reason for joining Fly-A-Ways). So I'm not a complete newbie but very inexperienced.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Regards,
Tom.
Aug 31, 2018, 12:42 AM
BTW, IIRC YMMV, IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofresh
Hey Tom, Welcome to Fly-a-Ways!

You sound like me 2 years ago....
Thanks, Mondo. I saw your initial post from 2 years ago (when I was searching for "new member" , or something like that) which is why I posted here. I think you posted about going out to the airfield too. Looking forward to making some progress myself. Your experience with the club is very encouraging.

Tom.
Aug 31, 2018, 12:49 AM
BTW, IIRC YMMV, IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mitchel
Hi Tom, Welcome!
I am in SW Portland, Hillsdale, near Terwilliger and Barbur.
I am hoping to fly this weekend, but if you are nearby, I would be happy to meet and talk planes and talk Fly A Ways.
Jeff
516-236-9277
Very much appreciated, Jeff. Unfortunately I'm going to be out of town for the weekend; get back on Monday. However, I'm keen to get out any time after that, weather permitting. My cell is 503-706-1406 so shoot me a text if you're heading out.

Regards,
Tom.
Sep 15, 2018, 12:12 AM
BTW, IIRC YMMV, IMHO
So I finally got out to the field today. Had an absolute blast! Got to fly my FT Mini Scout (for warm up), the FT Mini Trainer and maidened my Bixler 2, which I built from the kit version. The conditions were great. Only a slight wind. No crashes. Great sunshine. It was a little daunting to fly with other planes in the sky however I managed to keep it together. I did find the landings challenging but all in all it was a great experience and I'm keen to get out there again soon.

Special thanks to Ivan and Jeff for the warm welcome and help. Definitely helped break the ice and get me up in the air. Much appreciated!

Hope to make it to the War Birds event tomorrow and the swap meet on Sunday.

Cheers,
Tom.

Quick Reply