This thread is privately moderated by solentlife, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 30, 2018, 04:41 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Thread OP
Discussion

The woes of travel but good deed of Airport Security !

Yes .. you read it correct : Good Deed of Airport Security.

We all hate going through security, the removal of belt, shoes ... empty pockets and show computer etc.

Recently travelling back from one of my many trips to Arabian Gulf - I was going through Dubai Security, terminal 3.

The metal detector was having a fit and near all of us had trouble with it. I went through it at least 3x before realising my car key was in my pocket. I thrw it into a tray ... tried detector again ... BEEP BEEP ... so security asked me aside and did a full pat down and tissue testing for explosives / drugs. Cleared I collected my gear .. 'redressed' ... and went on my way.

7 hours later in Hamburg - had to go through security again due to next flight being EU entry. Empty pockets and computer .. OH NO !!!! Where's my car key ???

You guessed - its still in Dubai. And its only key I have for the car !!

Car is standing in the Long Term Car Park of Riga Airport waiting my arrival and to drive home. It also has still in it ... my best models !! (Its actually my Renault Master cargo Van).
I telephoned the Car Park office who advised they can get car opened - but nothing else. Of course its one of those 'chip' keys that need to come from factory !!
I call a pal who agrees to meet me and get me home. I then talk to Renault dealer in my town next day who say 3 weeks to order .. I need truck the car to them ... and then they program for new key. Price 220 Euros for the key + trucking price .... over 200km's !!

I go away thinking about it .. next day I call Dubai Airport and they advise that a representative for me visit airport Lost and Found ...
Secretary from my office goes with description and I have emailed car docs to him and airport ... I get a picture back by Whatsapp of my key ... I confirm ... they gave key to my secretary who then DHL'd to me at home.

Oh relief ... pal takes me back to Riga ... and we drive back to Home !

BUT as they say trouble comes in three's ................

1. Key left in Dubai

2. Pal wants to visit car dealer for his Chrysler Voyager parts ... we get lost in the back streets of Riga ...

3. My Volvo XC70 decides to start misfiring / playing games ...

We nurse the Volvo back home ... 200km drive ...

I take Volvo into service and they find that Ignition Coil is faulty ... and that ignition wiring has got hot and burnt ... causing intermittent shorts ...

All fixed ... and I'm a happy chappy again.

Next day driving the Renault ... put foot on brake ... graunching noise of metal on metal !! So now that's going in for pads ...

The joys of Motor Cars !!

Today I get in post an OBD Diagnostic reader ............

Nigel
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply