Aug 29, 2018, 05:16 PM
Destroyer Dan
Thread OP
Discussion

Betaflight 3.5 - Feedfoward settings for 0.0/0.0

I'm curious if anybody else who runs zeroed out D-Term Setpoint Weight and Transition values on their Betaflight 3.2/3.3 setups [I haven't bothered with 3.4] has updated to 3.5 and successfully gotten the same stick feel.

For anybody thinking I'm a complete idiot with this setup, I realize it's an unusual feeling, but I like the directness, and when coupled with high anti-grav gain actually makes my stuff eminently flyable.

So, according to the calculator provided in the Tuning Notes, I would just plug in a value of 0 for each... but I'm concerned about having to go back and goof with all of my rates - which I am loathe to go out and do with freshly built race quads, or take a perfectly functional one out of my fleet rotation just to test a new FC firmware that to my mind doesn't do much that's new... but I'd like to see if improvement is possible on dynamic filtering, particularly for racing through my proclivity to, ahem, dynamically reconfigure the aerodynamic surfaces of my propellers... mid-race.

My initial thinking is that I'd need to muck about with the D-Term lowpass to try and limit the change on the RC Input to PID feel, and go back to messing with the RC smoothing to try and push the limits on how directly responsive it is, but I'm really at a loss for what else I should try... unless somebody has already forged ahead and found good answers that I can piggyback off of.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2018, 06:44 AM
A lot of speculation and assumptions. Dont upgrade if u think its worthless. And the dynamic notch has been improved, and is actually configurable, now. The guys working on it deserve more than petty comments.
Aug 30, 2018, 08:12 AM
The new PID controller does seem to have a slightly different stick feel with similar rate settings but once I got used to it I like the way it flies much better. I have not fooled much with the new settings - still running defaults for now.
Sep 05, 2018, 01:14 PM
Destroyer Dan
Thread OP
@ProcDstryr : If I didn't think there was utility in updating to 3.5, I wouldn't bother asking. The devs are doing awesome stuff - but I'm an outlier in terms of my preferred configuration, and a major change they've made makes that a more significant point with this release.

The principal improvement I'm after is dynamic notch filter adjustability (especially with 7" 6S setups, where the props really want to resonate at ~140Hz, but I can get big noise spikes all the way up to 400-600Hz when I'm flying fast), but I also like some of the VTX command capability inline improvements and the anti-gravity changes should actually help me out a lot since I rely on that heavily.

The part I have no idea on is if my 0.0/0.0 D-Term Setpoint Weight/Transition setup I'm running now can be really retained as a quick default so I can get the closest possible comparison baseline if I reflash an already functioning quad to that, or am I back to being in danger of previous releases where running these values caused strange OoB conditions and problems.
Sep 05, 2018, 04:10 PM
I kill batteries!
My pre 3.4 settings used 0 for setpoint weight and 1 for transition.

I flashed 3.5 (for the filter and other improvements) to two of my quads.

I set feed forward on roll, pitch and yaw to 0 to mimic my previous settings. I set the feed forward transition to 1 and set my rates as usual.

Aside from getting the pids tuned (which seem to want to be higher as the bf wiki on tuning suggests) it flies exactly the same as my pre 3.4 quads that I still have.

The wiki formula equated to 0 feed forward for my setup and that is what I use. My personal rates alone allow soft center stick and faster rates at full stick deflection...really no need for feed forward for my setup.

Quick Reply