This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 25, 2018, 12:06 AM
Discussion

UMX Whipit at the park

UMX Whipit DLG at the park .. (11 min 14 sec)

The whip it needed more trimming ..

Once I was happy with the chuck test , I moved to the back handed fling .
Flinging the Whipit at a gentle breeze , the Whipit lost energy very quickly and stalled ..
Stalling is bad as the Whipit then tends to porpoise which is a little tricky to get out of ..
One really wants to maintain forward speed .

Weighing the Whipit with battery ( flying weight ) , it comes out at 43 grams .. ( No wonder it loses momentum so quickly )
I found the Whipit had problems penetrating a gentle breeze , probably that 43 grams .

I think my CG @ the carbon spar is about right ..
The Whipit is very sensitive to elevator position , too much up and you porpoise , too much down and you can't hold altitude ..
So you really need to find the sweet spot . I would suggest there is room to play with the CG and elevator till you are happy .

Launching the Whipit :

I was being very gentle and as long as I was the Whipit launched straight !
But once I applied any sort of energy into the launch the Whipit would peel out to the left ...
I started to apply down elevator to my launches to stop the stall at the top of the launch . Just a little is needed to help the transition from launch to glide .
Next to keep my launch straight I applied a little right rudder and this really helped to keep the launch straight .
It was a little tricky as I had to place my thumb just so on the gimble .

So I would suggest mixing in a launch setting .. Looking at the trailing edge of the elevator , you only need one or two mm of down and the same goes for the rudder , only need one or two mm ..
So go to the trouble of setting up a launch position ( mix ) and see better launches ( higher ) and better transition .
My last launch for the park visit was ( I think ) rather sweet ..

Things to do :

Hmmm , the lack of penetration into a gentle breeze was a little disturbing ..
So I will have to consider two glide settings for the elevator . One for down wind and another for into the wind ..
That's two switches and two functions to mix in if I want to try and max out the Whipit's potential .

But hey ! That was my first visit to the park ..

Sorry !

The battery !
I was in the park and the Whipit was powered for a good 30 minutes ..
Came home , and the battery needed hardly any re-charging at all ..
30 minutes did very little to the battery capacity .. ( 150mAh ? )
I have ordered 2 spare 150mAh batteries ..
But ? Did I have to ?
Last edited by old4570; Aug 25, 2018 at 12:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply