This thread is privately moderated by Piece, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 24, 2018, 10:59 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Thread OP
Discussion

Jeti ESC resto-mod

I found this old Jeti Advance Plus 30A ESC in a box of electronics, ugly, unloved, and unused, so I decided to spruce it up and give it a home.

To begin, we must rip the patient into pieces. The original motor-side wires are too short, and all bent up, and the insulation is split open near the board. The battery wires are also too short, and very stiff. The receiver lead has a sketchy solder joint in it, and there's that dumb BEC on/off lead to deal with.

I wanted to take a picture of the "rebuild kit" before I soldered it all together, but that's just a bunch of wires and my phone's battery was too low for a flash. Oh well. Here's the assembled product. The switch pads have been soldered together directly to eliminate extra wires. The XT30 will be more than adequate for the model, probably.

But it needs a heat sink of some sort. I mean, ok, really, it doesn't, but I'm the captain of this dump and I'm not letting silly things like common sense and weight savings interfere with the virtues of vanity and self-satisfaction. So I made a heatsink from some brass plate, and I marked it with the mark so that everyone will know whose model this is. I think my "heat sink" is doing literally nothing to sink heat, but do I look like I care? Do I? Do I?

Here's the guts in all their glory. I'm going back to the Mega 16/15/5, but I'm bumping up to an Aeronaut 7x6 folder. Power will come from a 3S 650mAh pack which should provide enough oomph for a couple of hard climbs and/or passes. It's definitely not much of a hanger arounder up there. I haven't run the system on the wattmeter, but numbers on a screen don't rule me.

That weird kink in the wire is there because it needs to twist 90 degrees to mount, but it doesn't like to sit that way by itself.

I hope this is a reliable ESC because I'm sticking it in my favorite one-off model. I suppose Jeti is as good an option as any. We'll see.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2018, 12:27 PM
Very nice job on the refurb and I see you've given it some love ;-)
Happy Flying!

Quick Reply