Sep 07, 2018, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Not the heatsink, just the aluminum cover on the other side of the esc, there's a total of 9 capacitors and an electronics board on this side of the main board. Main issue with it is that the screw holes did not really line up too well with the holes drilled in the heatsink, so to get it to fit it had to be twisted with the end result it looks kinda wonky. Once removed the ESC looks OK, I have it covered in blue shrink wrap now, with a cooling fan from the old 300A unit added onto the heatsink. Flier Model ESC's is not a pretty and refined looking product like a Jeti, a MGM Compro or a Castle ESC, and they are relatively cheap as well so you kinda get what you pay for. And there's not all that many options if you want a SHV ESC, most others stop @14-15S while Flier Model has ESC's up to 28S.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2019, 05:19 PM
Thread OP
Quick update, I have swapped out the SSS 5694 motor and put in the TP Power 650kV motor mentioned earlier in the thread instead(it's a 5850L, it has been modified by turning down the cooling fins so the motor is now a smooth 56mm OD to fit this fan. ) I was at a meet in Sweden last weekend and had hoped to log several flights on this plane but a strong crosswind for most of the time meant I only got in 1 flight late on Friday evening.

Anyways, with this motor using the Gens-ace 25C 9000mAh packs I was pulling 140A on takeoff (it was cold, like 10 degrees C so the batteries suffered a little bitas they had been sitting outside all day long), I got the same amp draw well into the flight as the packs had heated up a bit. Voltage was a bit low, I briefly glanced down to check on my transmitter and I was getting under 21V per 6S pack, I forgot to start datalogging before takeoff so not much more data unfortunately. But I think I'll keep on running this combo as the performance was good, and it is nice to have the capacity of these 9000 packs to help with the flight duration. I have just started on 3 weeks of vacation now so I hope to log some more flights on it soon, with datalogging so I can get some data on how this setup works. I also have a temp sensor installed in the back of this motor to see how hot the windings get, I'm kinda interested in seeing how it likes working at 9kW.

I also redid the cooling fan setup on the Flier esc, it now has two 2" fans and runs cool now. Attached is a photo showing how it looks now after this modification.
Last edited by Arngeir Blakseth; Jul 09, 2019 at 05:38 PM.
Jul 18, 2019, 02:00 PM
Thread OP
Got another flight in yesterday afternoon, and the Xcalibur is just a really nice aircraft to fly. This time around I remembered to start datalogging before starting the take-off run, and I got interesting data. The TP motor is running cool at this power level, I got a max. of 52C during the flight. Temp sensor is glued to the back of the motor windings.

My 25C 9000mah Gensace batteries though is not too happy with a 150A draw, cell voltage drops to 3,44V during the climb out after take-off. They do recover a bit after heating up so later in the flight they do hold over 3.5V/cell at full power. This is just 16,67C so should not be an issue for true 25C cells. I do have a set of Nano-Tech 25C 8000's as well and next time I'll give them a go, from memory I think they will give me a better performance at the cost of a little duration.
Jul 20, 2019, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
A nice summer day up here in Northwestern Norway today, and I got two flights logged on the Xcalibur. One flight with each of my 2 battery sets, and there's a big difference in performance between them.

Takeoff power with the 9000mAh Gensace set is 1700W less than with the 8000mAh Turnigy Nanotech's, and both sets are labelled as 25C

I can also confirm that the 7500W rating on the HDS-86 fan by Schuebeler is very conservative. It does not have a problem with 11000W. At least not yet.

Due to the nice weather, 20 degree C and sunshine both sets of batteries delivered better performance today, so I logged a max amp draw of 148A @ 62V on the Gensace packs, and 165A @ 66,3V on the Turnigy Nanotech packs.

Unfortunately this led to another problem showing up, the Flier esc which is sold as a 380A 22S unit goes into thermal cut-off after 4800-5400mAh used. It cuts power, and after throttling back and waiting maybe 8-10 secs. I can get the fan started again.
First time it happened I had just finished a climbing turn so I had good altitude and was in a good position already going downwind so no problem doing a emergency landing. I had power available again after lining up on final approach so no stress getting it down safely. This was after 5400mAh used on this flight with the Gensace batteries. I did check the esc right after landing and it was warm but not really all that hot, but I guess the two fans do a good job of cooling it down when power is off.

I decided I had to try a 2nd flight with the Nanotech batteries, both to check the performance and also to see if the controller would do the same again. Obviously I did maintain a safe altitude throughout this flight as I was prepared to have to make another power-off landing. Due to the much better performance of these batteries the controller cut power after 4800mAh used on this flight, no issues making a safe landing this time around either.

I have already modified this esc with 2 cooling fans, there is room for 1 more fan on the heatsink so that's an option. Another is to add a cooling air inlet on the canopy hatch, like a NACA duct to get some fresh air onto the controller. I do have another temp sensor so will try to add it to the controller heatsink to see how hot it actually gets.

Motor peaked at just over 60 degrees C on the second flight today, so it seems it will do 10kW+ without overheating. And that was after the controller cut power, as long as the motor was running temps stayed below 45 degree C and then it quickly heated up to 60degrees when it was not turning. A few minutes of cooldown running the fan at low power after taxing back to the pits and the motor temp stayed below 40 degrees so it seems to be doing fine.
Jul 29, 2019, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
Weather is still HOT and sunny, we have had temps of 30 degree C the last week so I have not dared to try flying the Xcalibur again. But I have had the ESC out and have removed the shrink wrap on it and added a 3rd cooling fan and charged up my Gensace batteries today and decided to do a full static run to see if this has helped in any way. The batteries likes it hot (just 28 degrees C today) so they gave better power than last time. I logged 149.5A @64V today and I got 6500mAh out before the ESC shut down power again, and it is because of temperature as the heatsink was very hot.
I forgot to add the temp. sensor but it was uncomfortable to touch the heatsink right after it cut power, so no doubt about the cause.

But this was not a final solution that fixed the problem, so further work has to be done. Better cooling fans with more airflow has been ordered, and the next step is to cut a hole in the fiberglass cover/canopy and duct some fresh air onto the ESC.

Quick Reply