Aug 23, 2018, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
Cool

Ripmax Xcalibur+ EDF

This is a project I have been working on for some time, and I have finally got it into the air. For those not too familiar with what this is, the plane is the BIG brother to the Ripmax Xcalibur. This one has a 92" (2338mm) wingspan, and is 95" (2412mm) long. Weight on my plane is 14,8kg so it is a big airplane.

I fly this one on a 120mm fan, fan of choice at the moment is a Schuebeler DS-86-AXI HDS. I'm running this on 18S with a SSS 5694 600kV motor. ESC is a flier 300A 22S. I have two choices in batteries, either Turnigy 25C 8000mAh Nanotech, or Gensace 25C 9000mAh, there's almost no weight difference between these two battery setups, I get a bit more Watts out of the Nanotech's and I used these for the maiden flight. My datalogs say it pulls 115A on takeoff, on 68V this is just shy of 8kW. It is not too much power in such a big model, but as it has a large wing area it is a lightly loaded jet so it flies fine on this power. I have not measured thrust, but it should be around 100N judging by the data provided by Schuebeler on this fan with with other comparable setups.

Conversion to EDF was not too much work, as it is a rather large plane there's lots of space for equipment inside. I'm using the landing gear that is made for the plane, I got the package deal with gear included with the ARF kit. It would have been nice to use a 127-130mm fan, but there's just not room enough in the engine bay for this, I tried to fit a Dynamax fan but no luck.
So, 120mm fans is max, it just means a bit less static thrust on the same power. I did have to make a adapter for the intake duct as I did not want to run open ducting with a gap between the duct and the fan. I also had to reinforce the back end of the intake duct as it got sucked in by the fan during testing. And I also sanded down/rounded off the intake lip on the ducts as it was a bit sharp as it was molded into the wing root of the fuselage.
Outlet ducting from the fan is molded in fiberglass, I tried a Mylar duct but the thin material I had just blew apart so I decided to make it out of fiberglass after that little incident during testing.

The rest of the work was simply to make battery mounts and a tray for the ESC to sit on. Besides this, the plane is assembled according to the manual, and that's your basic ARF assembly so nothing special really.

As for how it flies, well it is a large and stable jet trainer so it was easy and relaxing to fly. Accelleration on takeoff was slow and steady, I used about 90m of fine gravel on my takeoff run. I have a speed sensor installed in the nose and speed @ takeoff was 75km/h (46mph), top speed recorded was 172km/h (107mph) so it is not a particularly quick beast. But I did not push it in any way, as I was busy trimming and just generally getting a feel for the handling. Landing was dead easy, it did glide a bit better than expected, even with power off and full flap after lining up on final I overshot my planned touchdown by 50m. Looking at the speed from the datalogs it looks like touchdown was at a modest 50km/h (31mph) so it does not take much power to keep this one flying.

All in all, a good first flight. Now I just need to get a few more flights in to get a better feel for the plane and then we will see if I am happy with the power setup that's in there now. I also have a TP Power 5670 6Y motor, it has a 650kV and will increase power quite a bit. I have run tests with it and it bumps the amps up to 150A so a little over 30A extra which is a lot of extra power on 18S.
Last edited by Arngeir Blakseth; Sep 06, 2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Adding picture
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2018, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Here's a very short clip of the takeoff, I'll get better video shot next time around.

Xcalibur takeoff (0 min 11 sec)

And here's a quick one taxiing back after the flight :

Xcalibur+ taxi back (0 min 12 sec)
Last edited by Arngeir Blakseth; Aug 23, 2018 at 04:49 PM.
Aug 23, 2018, 09:37 PM
NICE !!!

Looks like there was plenty of power on take off.

I flew a boomerang XL with a JF 120 on 14s, it didn't have the take off power your x caliber did but once it got on step man it flew like an angel ... well, before the tree monster grabbed it and ate it all up (that's my story and I'm stickin to it )

question

Do you think the Sheubler 120 rotor can take more RPM?

I'm thinking this is a go to setup for an ultra high power 120 size EDF Setup due to large motor

Thx in advance
Aug 23, 2018, 09:57 PM
EDF all the way!
Looks great! I converted the Standard Xcalibur using the Streamfan 110 from Hacker on 14S. Flies great. See here.
Bob
Aug 23, 2018, 11:05 PM
sounded like a turbine, very impressive !
Aug 24, 2018, 03:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
NICE !!!

Looks like there was plenty of power on take off.

I flew a boomerang XL with a JF 120 on 14s, it didn't have the take off power your x caliber did but once it got on step man it flew like an angel ... well, before the tree monster grabbed it and ate it all up (that's my story and I'm stickin to it )

question

Do you think the Sheubler 120 rotor can take more RPM?

I'm thinking this is a go to setup for an ultra high power 120 size EDF Setup due to large motor

Thx in advance
Well, Schuebeler has published the following:

Technical Data DS-86-AXI HDS:

Max. RPM: 35500
Max. Power: 7500W
Max. Thrust: 101N
Max. Exhaust Speed: 99m/s
weight: 290g
Max. Motor Diameter 56mm
Shaft Diameter: 8mm g6

That's about where I am now with this setup. But I have done a few tests with a 650kV TP Power motor and that was pulling 9800W. Fan did fine, no signs of the rotor rubbing. Just a lot of power so my guess is that it will take a bit more than this to do some damage. The whole unit and especially the rotor looks and feels very solid so I'm not to concerned with pushing it a bit harder.
Aug 24, 2018, 03:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoaheli
sounded like a turbine, very impressive !
Yes I like the sound of this fan a lot, it really does sound like a turbine, can't hear any electric motor sounds at all.
Aug 24, 2018, 03:18 AM
Where do I get one of these jets shipped to the US?

Thx in advance
Last edited by erh7771; Aug 24, 2018 at 03:24 AM.
Aug 24, 2018, 05:59 AM
Thread OP
This is where I got mine:

https://www.der-schweighofer.net/s/?...+%2B&x=13&y=-1

I had to pay 220 in shipping charges from Austria to Norway. You will have to send them an email to get a shipping quote.

Is there no US dealer for these Jets?
Aug 24, 2018, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth
This is where I got mine:

https://www.der-schweighofer.net/s/?...+%2B&x=13&y=-1

I had to pay 220 in shipping charges from Austria to Norway. You will have to send them an email to get a shipping quote.

Is there no US dealer for these Jets?
Looks like they ship to the us for 220 euros shipping when going through the check out process.

Not a bad price if it holds up
Aug 24, 2018, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
That's true but I would still send them an email to verify that you don't have to pay more in shipping to the US.
Sep 06, 2018, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
Finally got the plane up again for another flight today. I was set to take it up last Tuesday, but after taxiing out, when I opened the throttle all I got was stuttering from the motor. So it turned out the ESC had gone poof, it acted like it was missing a phase and no matter what I tried I got nowhere. Tried another ESC on the fan unit and all was fine, so the only solution I could see was to order a new one. I got my new ESC yesterday so today it was time to solder on connectors and get it installed.

The new ESC is a Flier Model 22S 380A unit, but I don't have much faith in that amp rating to be honest. This flight I ran on 19S, with the same Fan/motor as the maiden flight, pulling 130A @takeoff according to my telemetry, and the ESC was uncomfortably warm after the flight. This new unit does not have a cooling fan like the 22S 300A that crapped out on me, just a large heatsink on the bottom and a ugly aluminum cover that was installed crooked (looked like a half blind 5 year old had done the assembly) so I decided to salvage the cooling fan from the old unit and install it on this ESC. Ditched the aluminum cover and installed the cooling fan under shrink wrap and then cut out a hole for the fan so it can suck in cool air and blow it over the heatsink. Hopefully this will help, if the weather is fine this weekend I'll be getting more flights on it.

The motor was warm after the flight but not uncomfortable, so it looks like it is happy enough running at this power level. Running on 19S it's pulling 9.1kW on takeoff, dropping off to 8.4kw 1 minute into the flight. I was flying a bit harder on this flight, max speed logged was 195km/h and I used 6000mAh including taxiing back in after landing.

I also got video of the whole flight, I got one of my buddies to film it and he did a pretty good job I think.

Xcalibur+ flight #2 (6 min 8 sec)
Sep 07, 2018, 12:40 PM
Great stuff. Impressive power numbers.
Sep 07, 2018, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
Thanks,

I ran a static test today after installing a cooling fan on the ESC to make sure that it was an improvement. And that can be confirmed, even though it is warmer today (20c vs 15c) it ran much cooler than it did yesterday, and I did run the batteries down to 15% in 4 minutes. So it looks like I'm all set to go flying again tomorrow.
Sep 07, 2018, 03:11 PM
If it looked like a half blind 5 year old kid installed the heat sink then why did you use the ESC at all ?

Quick Reply