Thread OP
Discussion

New Antennaless AR410 and AR620

2 interesting new RX's from Spektrum

AR410

https://www.horizonhobby.com/ar410-4...eiver-spmar410

AR620

https://www.horizonhobby.com/ar620-6...eiver-spmar620

They're antennaless, with AR636-style short-range telemetry (ugh).

they're also end-pin and relatively tiny (yay!).
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2018, 03:10 PM
Are these the new rx’s we were waiting for?

If so, totally useless for sailplane use, especially those with carbon fuses. I really hope there’s more to follow.

Currently surfing in Cornwall England and just noticed the Instagram post on the rx’s and got all excited.
Aug 23, 2018, 03:15 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Are these the new rx’s we were waiting for?

If so, totally useless for sailplane use, especially those with carbon fuses. I really hope there’s more to follow.

Currently surfing in Cornwall England and just noticed the Instagram post on the rx’s and got all excited.
Yeah, these are the RX's that John Adams promised to the DLG guys based on Andy's comments in the Telemetry Receiver thread.

And yes, useless for anything other than woodies or FG/Kevlar fuselages.
Aug 23, 2018, 03:19 PM
Daaaaamn

Good job I have the Latest ones from FrSky.

Sorry Spektrum.
Aug 23, 2018, 03:28 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Daaaaamn

Good job I have the Latest ones from FrSky.

Sorry Spektrum.
Yeah, the RX4R seems to have this beat for the DLG crowd. Half the size, less than half the weight, carbon-friendly whisker antennas, full range telemetry, external telemetry sensors, sbus and remote receiver support. All for $3.99 less.
Aug 23, 2018, 04:39 PM
This is your brain on heli's
I have been waiting for these new receivers for quite a while. Not exactly what i was hoping for. Not enough channels for a full house motor glider. I like the internal cell-phone-like antenna if it works. Most of the high end gliders have RX friendly front-sections now anyway and there is never anywhere good to put the antennas.

I was hoping or something more like the Graupner GR16-L: 8 channels, hard-core telemetry, reasonably compact. The AR8010T is gi-normous in comparison. I was hoping Spektrum would save me from needing Graupner so I could be "all in" with Spektrum again. These don't do it.
Aug 23, 2018, 05:20 PM
I fly powered stuff including park flyers and these look perfect for al these I have .
Having looked into some of latest tech advances in 2.4 rx , I think you guys are not seeing what a huge advance this design really is.
It looks to me like we all will be seeing more.similar rx
miniaturize rx with greatly improved ability to read even weak signals has been a goal for a long time.
Last edited by richard hanson; Aug 23, 2018 at 05:40 PM.
Aug 23, 2018, 05:45 PM
Perpetual Noob
Looking at the manual for the new receivers, it appears if there are no assigned channels as the ports are numbered 1 - 4 or 1 -6 with one labeled battery and another labeled prog. What is not clear in the released documentation is what Batt and PROG mean or represent. I mean for electric flying, power normally comes from the throttle channel from the BEC in the ESC. Does the PROG port insinuate the receivers will accept forward programming?
Aug 23, 2018, 05:50 PM
My spies tell me that the 4 ch absolutely does the conventional throttle /power input and the 234 flight channels
Programming?
really don' know facts about that one.
Aug 23, 2018, 05:55 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31
Looking at the manual for the new receivers, it appears if there are no assigned channels as the ports are numbered 1 - 4 or 1 -6 with one labeled battery and another labeled prog. What is not clear in the released documentation is what Batt and PROG mean or represent. I mean for electric flying, power normally comes from the throttle channel from the BEC in the ESC. Does the PROG port insinuate the receivers will accept forward programming?
Prog is likely where you plug in the USB Programming cable. That will likely just be for firmware on these.
Aug 23, 2018, 05:55 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
My spies tell me that the 4 ch absolutely does the conventional throttle /power input and the 234 flight channels
Programming?
really don' know facts about that one.
Channels are assigned on the TX, the RX just outputs what it gets in order (aside from the AS3X receivers)
Aug 23, 2018, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31
Looking at the manual for the new receivers, it appears if there are no assigned channels as the ports are numbered 1 - 4 or 1 -6 with one labeled battery and another labeled prog.
Not labeling the channels is ok. Spektrum TX's have been able to put any function on any channel for a while now. The old labeling matched up with the basic default channel assignment but can confuse things if you use non-default channel assignments. Two aileron setups didn't really have RX labels that matched. V-tails didn't either. Throttle is usually CH1 but the Sherman Knight Templates put Throttle on CH7 and use CH1 for one of the flaps. I forget his rational for that but he had one.

But why have they forsaken the 6 servo motor glider
Aug 23, 2018, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr
not labeling the channels is ok. Spektrum tx's have been able to put any function on any channel for a while now. The old labeling matched up with the basic default channel assignment but can confuse things if you use non-default channel assignments. Two aileron setups didn't really have rx labels that matched. V-tails didn't either. Throttle is usually ch1 but the sherman knight templates put throttle on ch7 and use ch1 for one of the flaps. I forget his rational for that but he had one.

But why have they forsaken the 6 servo motor glider
ar620?
Aug 23, 2018, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
ar620?
a six servo motor glider needs at least 7 channel. Six for the servos and at least one more for the Throttle.
Aug 23, 2018, 06:24 PM
but the AR410 will be great for things like Assassins and other flying wings. They only need three channels (two elevons plus Throttle) and we have been using the fourth to activate a Lost Model Alarm when they go down out in the weeds.

Quick Reply