Aug 01, 2019, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
All in all every drone using android in this configuration using USB I have see pretty much all do it as it is a Android issue more or less that deals with the energized data line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigi
The USB meter is probably not measuring other than the VCC line. I can measure the data lines later to be sure. Not easily done as the Micro-USB connector is quite small, but breakout boards help.
I don't seem to have a USB-A female connector available so measuring the data lines would require splitting a working cable and I can't be bothered with that now.

However, I did another test. I charged the controller to full and let the tablet be at 41 % where it happened to be at the time. I then flew for 10 minutes with a regular USB cable:
Controller went from 100 % to 92 %, tablet from 41 % to 35 %.

I then charged the controller to 100 % and tablet back to 41 %, and flew another 10 minutes, this time with the modified cable:
Controller went from 100 % to 95 %, tablet from 41 % to 32 %.

This clearly shows the tablet wasn't receiving power from the controller, which means the modified cable works. 3 % difference might not sound like much, but for every battery flown, that means nearly a 10 % loss, so it adds up. It's also good to remember that those percents will drop a lot faster at, let's say, 50-60 % than at 60-100 %. At 50-60 % this might mean a 6 % loss for every 10 minutes flown instead of the 3 % we saw at 100 %.

I'm happy with the results.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2019, 12:04 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
just for fun as an idea of distance...

If you zoom in you can see me and the Castle.
Aug 01, 2019, 12:09 PM
DWA
DWA
Besides the video I did get a few pics.
Taken in RAW but I had to lower the resolution in order to post here.

Dave
Aug 01, 2019, 02:17 PM
KV4PL, FAA 107 Certified
I finally got the Android Dronelink app to run, they have a 32bit version on there support page and that did the trick. now to find time to try it out
Aug 01, 2019, 05:48 PM
Image Gatherer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
just for fun as an idea of distance...

If you zoom in you can see me and the Castle.
Nice Dave! Is that what you're calling your fancy truck these days (the Castle)?
Aug 02, 2019, 09:44 AM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmscum
Nice Dave! Is that what you're calling your fancy truck these days (the Castle)?
Ha Ha. . I need more upgrades before I can do that.

Dave
Aug 02, 2019, 01:46 PM
DWA
DWA
Not the best weather on this day.

But typical for the area. I kind of like it actually. Can’t have every single picture full sunshine

Dave
Aug 02, 2019, 01:50 PM
DWA
DWA
Checking out possible new living quarters if I keep up my rebel ways.
Aug 02, 2019, 02:19 PM
DWA
DWA
Coit Tower SF at Golden Hour.
Aug 03, 2019, 09:33 AM

Flying from a boat

I'm one month new to my M2Pro, but not new to flying Phantoms off [moving] boats. I flew the M2Pro yesterday off a 70' power boat, taking off by hand and hand-catching on the bow, but I have to say I had some very close calls on both takeoff and landing. On takeoff, the bow has just enough slope that aft props touch the canvas cover, and M2Pro flipped over. Thankfully hitting nothing but soft cover. On landing, I had a heck of a time for a number of reasons, but ultimately succeeded without loss of bird or bloodshed. Is it just me or is the M2Pro substantially harder/dicier to hand catch that the P4P and it's white-legged ancestors? (Been flying DJI since 2012 P1, then P2, then briefly P3A, then P4P the past few years.)

I searched "boat" in this thread, and the one helpful suggestion I found re landings was switching to ATTI. Noted. No time for locked-in GPS positioning. I think I will also disable max distance (or set it very high) as we flew out of the 200m range I initially set, and had to circle boat back to within that range. Is there an EASY way to say RTH to controller's current location? A few threads suggest not. My phone is an Android Samsung Galaxy S9 if that matters. I'm not terribly worried about RTH as I'm staying fairly close to the boat, and can always find "home" visually with a large white boat on open water.

My primary question this morning is whether disabling the obstacle avoidance / landing assistance settings make sense. I'm probably butchering the terminology, but everyone's still asleep on the boat this morning, and I don't want to power up just to get precise menu options I'm referring to.

My plan going forward is to have captain round up in to the wind, put M2Pro upwind of bow several meters above the deck, in ATTI mode, and let it drift into me, pulling left stick aft/down and catching with right hand. Is there a better method?

Most of my filming of this boat will be in open water, at varying speeds, including ideally it's top speed of 36kts. I also need to change some exposure settings and/or ND filters as I'm getting the usual white-boat-detail-all-blown-out issue when filming against backdrop of dark water. Yestserday I used an ND4 filter and 1080p/60, with all other settings stock/default. I'll be playing this morning with the 5D button in flight to crank down/up the EV in flight. Thinking I might go ND8 or ND16 as well. Any advice welcome for expert boat videographers. Similarly, any tips welcome on active track and POI of subjects such as this. I've been shooting 1080p/60, primarily because I loathe the disk space impact and processing time of 4K, but will go 4K if that helps overall. Again, welcome expert tips for shooting moving white boat on dark water (San Juan Islands in Pacific Northwest.)

I uploaded to youtube a few clips from those first flights, including a harrowing landing that nearly ending very badly.

TIA for any advice.

Kelly
Aug 03, 2019, 10:15 AM
Is disabling Visions Systems as described on p. 13 of the manual the only way to get ATTI without the hack described on youtube?

Kelly

Name: ATTI mode.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 690.3 KB
Description:
Aug 03, 2019, 10:47 AM
Not crashing = Not flying!
New M2z owner, a good affordable case for the vehicle, two or three batts, controller, boosters, cables, tablet and kitchen sink? lol
Aug 03, 2019, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkf94025
Is disabling Visions Systems as described on p. 13 of the manual the only way to get ATTI without the hack described on youtube?

Kelly

Attachment 12378279
Disabiling vision does not disable gps mode. The simple parameter change or aluminum foil skin.
Aug 03, 2019, 04:30 PM
Man, I wish I had your views, tall buildings, vast areas without buildings etc. Here it's just city, boring fields, rivers, forest, fields again, rivers, forest, repeat until forever.
Aug 03, 2019, 04:58 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigi
Man, I wish I had your views, tall buildings, vast areas without buildings etc. Here it's just city, boring fields, rivers, forest, fields again, rivers, forest, repeat until forever.
Beautiful shots! I love the different colors of the buildings!

Quick Reply