Jul 24, 2019, 07:48 AM
Regards - Randy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget__Guy
Thanks for the reply and the offer. It's intriguing. I have always used a windsurfer over the antennas, and wonder if the Mavmount (which I already own) mounted in front might possibly interfere with the windsurfer focused signal, being metal. How is the overall balance with the modification? Does the entire setup want to tip forward or backward when set down, or does it sit flat and stable? Does the bracket mounted underneath keep it from being stable when set down on the narrow extension rails? I frequently need to set the RC down, off the lanyard, to swap batteries and SD cards. As much as I like the benefit of seeing both screens at the same time, I wonder if MavMount realized the issues that moving it forward to the antenna side might present. This is the setup I am currently using instead, which allows unobstructed use of a windsurfer, and balances well with a 9Ē iPad Pro when set down, but unfortunately hides the RC screen.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA
Your thoughts?
Hopefully I can address your great questions and concerns.

Antenna Interference - I have gotten notice of poor signal quality from time to time, but that occurred when I was not VLOS and too close to the ground (I do a lot of desert photography and there are numerous obstacles to maneuver around).. Tweeking the antennas does help some, but not as much as either elevating myself or the drone to VLOS. Iíve not had any signal issues with flights as far away as 2 miles or so. I donít go beyond that... I donít know anything about Windsurfer.

Balance - I use a lanyard connected to the Mavmount frame, so while flying - the balance is reasonably good and comfortable. It will sit down on the aluminum bracket I made, but it needs to be a flat surface. That said, I use an iPad Mini-4 with full protective cover and antiglare glass shield. I could make the bracket a bit longer in order to help accommodate the greater weight of the larger screen.

The only bad part about the mount is that it needs to be disassembled in order to pack it into a protective case of sorts. Removing the iPad allows it to fold up fairly tight without removing the joysticks though.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2019, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
What you flew into was a Zone not actually a NFZ, but you were close...it was telling you so. It wasn't Breaking (Falling apart) it was Braking (Slowing it down from entering) It also was telling you it was limiting your altitude as you were to close to what it determined to be a approach/departure endpoint of the runway. The closer you get to a runway the lower it will force you to go until you can go no further.

No it will not enter a RTH in this situation, but may if you don't understand how RTH works (i.e. low battery occurring after you can't figure out what the deal is). Also it was warning you because of this that RTH may not work as if you were to either side and it did indeed need to cross that path of NFZ it couldn't. Suggest you read how DJI RTH works, how NFZ's work and follow those guidelines....In short what should you do? Turn the aircraft 180 degrees from whence you came, until it allows you clear alert and don't fly there again until you have read and understand the two things I suggested you know exactly what is going on and how to adjust your flight to get your aircraft home.

Incidentally this is one of the reasons that I don't personally like those (Newbies) that get DJI aircraft and bootleg them overriding the firmware. (Nothing Implied to you) it would be easy in this situation to override this safety alert, get into a same/similar situation have RTH engage and overfly a active runway. Probably chances slim..but probability still exists given some of their attitudes of where they can or not fly.
Hey Repaid1,

Apologies for the late reply- just got back from camping.
Thanks for the clear explanation and for helping me understand this. Now I can understand what it meant when it said, "You may experience RTH interruption". This would happen only if it crossed the NFZ path on the map. Technically i could have flown her there but being someone fairly new to the M2P I didn't want to fly there until i understood what was going on as this was the first time encountering something like this.

However i did notice the controller beeping at me constantly and it also wouldn't let me push forwards on the stick. I'm fairly sure that it wasn't sensing me or something else as an obstacle as it had quite a clear path in front and behind me. It might have had to do with something with the braking message that kept popping up. Just wondering if it would have flown if i had pushed it or not ... Any idea ??

Cheers
Jake
Jul 24, 2019, 10:22 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeaheli
Hey Repaid1,

However i did notice the controller beeping at me constantly and it also wouldn't let me push forwards on the stick. I'm fairly sure that it wasn't sensing me or something else as an obstacle as it had quite a clear path in front and behind me. It might have had to do with something with the braking message that kept popping up. Just wondering if it would have flown if i had pushed it or not ... Any idea ??

Cheers
Jake
Those two statements kinda conflict, I cannot speculate where you were exactly, or what alert tone you were hearing. Braking was more than likely a speed reduce message, meaning you were closing in on the "Zone" that it thought you were nearing as a NFZ. As I understand DJI NFZs are what I will call conical or sloping, that being, the closer you get to a NFZ the more limiting in height it becomes, so you could try to reduce height to go a bit farther forward (If for some reason you felt that need). I can assure you that if it wouldn't let you fly any farther forward, it would allow you to Yaw 180į and fly back the opposite direction that you came from, or simply pulling back on right stick (Mode 2). Beyond that is it fair to assume as you say "Controller Beeping" that you actually mean the Device running the Go4 App? Or the Actual Controller itself?
Last edited by Repaid1; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:31 AM.
Jul 24, 2019, 08:07 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
getting started with the pano, pretty cool to get the rain and sunset in one shot.
Last edited by Mr.frankenjet; Jul 24, 2019 at 08:48 PM.
Jul 25, 2019, 02:56 PM
107 Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.frankenjet
getting started with the pano, pretty cool to get the rain and sunset in one shot.
Nice shots.
Jul 25, 2019, 03:57 PM
P3P,P4P+,M2P,Spark,Solo,X 380

New anamorphic lens....

This looks pretty interesting.....

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/9/20...vic-2-pro-zoom
Jul 25, 2019, 04:58 PM
107 Certified
What do you guys think of these smart glasses?
VUZIX Blade and DJI drone app integration (1 min 33 sec)
Jul 25, 2019, 05:15 PM
P3P,P4P+,M2P,Spark,Solo,X 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4aNp8nCCOk
It looks VERY interesting, with great potential. I guess it would depend on how well it integrates with our current controllers and systems, actual practicality and of course, COST!
Jul 25, 2019, 05:58 PM
107 Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelberry
It looks VERY interesting, with great potential. I guess it would depend on how well it integrates with our current controllers and systems, actual practicality and of course, COST!
It $699 US right now. It's open to 3rd party development. I'd like to see more drone user reviews. It connect via wifi from what a read but usb was also mentioned as well. The cord from the pilot in this video was connected to external power but there is built in battery on glasses. I'd have to see the display and how good is it in sunlight etc. They say it's like viewing 32 inch tv from 8ft which doesn't sound very immersive. I think the HUD window can be moved around the display. The more fpv options the better
Jul 25, 2019, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Those two statements kinda conflict, I cannot speculate where you were exactly, or what alert tone you were hearing. Braking was more than likely a speed reduce message, meaning you were closing in on the "Zone" that it thought you were nearing as a NFZ. As I understand DJI NFZs are what I will call conical or sloping, that being, the closer you get to a NFZ the more limiting in height it becomes, so you could try to reduce height to go a bit farther forward (If for some reason you felt that need). I can assure you that if it wouldn't let you fly any farther forward, it would allow you to Yaw 180į and fly back the opposite direction that you came from, or simply pulling back on right stick (Mode 2). Beyond that is it fair to assume as you say "Controller Beeping" that you actually mean the Device running the Go4 App? Or the Actual Controller itself?
I don't think it was the device (Mobile phone) running the Go4 App, otherwise the app would have voice alerted me saying something. Its kind of that same sound that comes from the controller (I think) when the drone is sensing an obstacle in front or behind it but only in a beeping tone. I wish i could have recorded the whole scenario.
As you say, yes i could have yawed the drone 180 and flew in the opp direction but there wouldn't be any point in doing so since what i wanted to shoot was in front of me this time.

I've learned a lot from this experience - really appreciate your help! Will keep an eye out next time i fly next to an NFZ.

Cheers
Jake
Jul 26, 2019, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFQQT
Hopefully I can address your great questions and concerns.

Antenna Interference - I have gotten notice of poor signal quality from time to time, but that occurred when I was not VLOS and too close to the ground (I do a lot of desert photography and there are numerous obstacles to maneuver around).. Tweeking the antennas does help some, but not as much as either elevating myself or the drone to VLOS. I’ve not had any signal issues with flights as far away as 2 miles or so. I don’t go beyond that... I don’t know anything about Windsurfer.

Balance - I use a lanyard connected to the Mavmount frame, so while flying - the balance is reasonably good and comfortable. It will sit down on the aluminum bracket I made, but it needs to be a flat surface. That said, I use an iPad Mini-4 with full protective cover and antiglare glass shield. I could make the bracket a bit longer in order to help accommodate the greater weight of the larger screen.

The only bad part about the mount is that it needs to be disassembled in order to pack it into a protective case of sorts. Removing the iPad allows it to fold up fairly tight without removing the joysticks though.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. All of my flights are 3-4 miles away, so I use a cheap parabolic windsurfer signal concentrator that fits over the top of each of the antennas and is hinged together in the middle, so any metal in front in between the antennas would likely interfere with the forward focused signal. Here is what it looks like: https://www.amazon.com/Threeking-Fol.../dp/B072HFCC2S
Totally agree about elevation and clear unobstructed LOS being essential to signal stability at longer distances. I've managed without seeing the RC screen for 6 months with my current visibility obstructing setup, so I suppose I should leave well enough alone. I do very much appreciate the offer, though. Seems that LifThor now offers a similar device for the M2 for $82, so your $25 suggestion is a good value for someone that already has the MavMount. I'm even considering going back to my original iPad Mini 4 setup, just inserted into the phone brackets in front, which allows full RC visibility, and sits completely flat, except for the removable sticks. It actually even fit very snugly into the top iPad pocket on my Smatree case, making for a very compact setup, without having to carry a second bag for the RC with mounted iPadPro! Not sure if going from the larger 9.7" iPad Pro to the smaller Mini 4 will seem like a huge downgrade or not. Thanks for objectively sharing all the pros and cons of your setup with me. If I had the same requirements as you, it would be perfect!
Last edited by Gadget__Guy; Jul 26, 2019 at 04:16 AM.
Jul 26, 2019, 06:52 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4aNp8nCCOk
A "tad" pricey...

This review may shed more light on these glasses...
https://www.aniwaa.com/product/vr-ar...smart-glasses/
Jul 26, 2019, 04:02 PM
KV4PL, FAA 107 Certified
I just got a pair of Glyphs, they're down to $100 now. they work pretty good with the CS.
Jul 26, 2019, 10:22 PM
You guys that like flying missions should check out:

https://app.dronelink.com

I have been working with the free beta for a couple of days and find it to be very compelling.
It is flexible and powerful.

The 4 missions I have flown, flew just like it was shown in the nifty built in Preview.

So far it has been a lot of fun to play with.
Last edited by parkgt; Jul 27, 2019 at 09:58 AM.
Jul 27, 2019, 08:21 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkgt
You guys that like flying missions should check out:

https://app.dronelink.com

I have been working with the free beta for a couple of days and find it to be very compelling.
It is flexible and powerful.

The 4 missions I have flown, flew just like it was shown in the nifty build in Preview.

So far it has been a lot of fun to play with.
Looks very good and is from a trusted developer (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t#post42376037), looks a bit more flexible than Litchi. May give it a try..but I love my Litchi!! Learning curve should be minimal as it's pretty close to working the same. https://www.dronelink.com/ This is the correct link BTW
Last edited by Repaid1; Jul 27, 2019 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply