Aug 24, 2018, 08:45 PM
Jason I just watched your live stream and realized that with a dx6 I have no way to toggle safe on and off. What do we do with 6 Channel transmitters? Also is the wire strut any stronger then the Fms yak? Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2018, 09:18 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Thanks everyone.. i do have the E flight Clipped wing cub and it does fine on the field. not sure how big the wheels on this are compared to that.

ive never liked the HH stock videos cause you never can hear the motor of the planes. wasnt sure how much thrust it has to be able to fly from a hand launch I know my F-27 Flys out of my hand great.
Aug 24, 2018, 09:18 PM
This is my opinion only and might rub some people the wrong way, but if you need to rely on SAFE maybe youíre ( and I donít mean anyone in particular ) not ready for a fast edf. The thing is capable of 100 mph speeds
Aug 24, 2018, 09:33 PM
I think it’s good of you to say, especially with the potential to start yet another SAFE/AS3X argument. EDF jets are tougher to fly, what with the lesser response to control inputs due to a lack of prop wash over control surfaces. Knowing what speed (on the low end) will let you land smoothly and maintain control can be tricky too.

But I think eflite is onto something good here. Having multiple skill levels of SAFE models will allow users to work up to something like this plane, both with a safety net and a general idea of how it will ‘feel’ in the air.
Aug 24, 2018, 09:33 PM
I never really was a fan of SAFE on anything other than a trainer. But now I think it makes sense. I mean, the tech is already in the rx (I think), so why not include it? Disabling it makes no sense. Even a more experienced pilot might be able to use it, if for example you lose orientation, you can hit the switch and at least you know that your plane is right side up and not headed for the ground.

Having said that I never even bothered to see if safe works on any planes that came with it.
Aug 24, 2018, 09:37 PM
I’ve never tried it out either, but I will say after almost 25 years doing this (makes me feel really old, first of all) I still lose orientation sometimes. Trying to get that last flight in before sunset, or if I really pull a dumb move and fly in front of the sun and lose it altogether... it still happens. New tech isn’t all bad if it saves my expensive planes.
Aug 24, 2018, 09:40 PM
Safe is great for guys who have had a little experience flying Edfs but can lure newbies into a false sense of security ..
Aug 24, 2018, 09:44 PM
Absolutely. I don’t think safe would save you from a stall at low speed, because there’s still not enough airspeed over the control surfaces for it to make a difference. Also won’t help with how far away something this fast can get if you’re not careful.
Aug 24, 2018, 10:16 PM
I love safe. I have been flying for years and had plenty of edfs. Sometimes when you lose orientation it's a great tool to have. Also on some landings that look like There is gonna be a problem or it's windy hitting safe really helps the landing greatly. I love having it at my fingertips
Aug 24, 2018, 10:32 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstop
This is my opinion only and might rub some people the wrong way, but if you need to rely on SAFE maybe youíre ( and I donít mean anyone in particular ) not ready for a fast edf. The thing is capable of 100 mph speeds
Not sure most are into it because of Safe or not.. however I have SAFE on my Clipped wing cub and it works nice, I am able to leave safe enabled on my buddybox DX6 g2, and just set the throttle and flip over and let anyone who wants to fly try it out.. My woman enjoys flying the cub a lot its her fav plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork
Iíve never tried it out either, but I will say after almost 25 years doing this (makes me feel really old, first of all) I still lose orientation sometimes. Trying to get that last flight in before sunset, or if I really pull a dumb move and fly in front of the sun and lose it altogether... it still happens. New tech isnít all bad if it saves my expensive planes.
it works well, limited bank angles, it is hard to make the plane crash.. if your in safe only way to crash like the cub would to be hold down elevator and just fly it into the ground it would take a while. Sure any plane will stall if you get it slow enough and i did find out on the Cub if you hold full up and full i think it was right rudder it would go into a spin. im sure this EDF would do something kinda the same.. But I really don't think there saying this is for a 1st or even 2nd or 3rd plane. i hope no one who doesn't know how to fly all ready would try to fly it .
Ive been flying 30 years and learned to fly when you really had to learn to fly the plane. I used to say with all these advances now anyone can fly SAFE for me is just nice to let my woman fly my planes and maybe my Father who had a stroke 2 yrs ago and has no use of his left hand/arm. Something with safe I should be able get it up let him fly it around w/o issues.
Aug 25, 2018, 01:21 AM
I'm buying this plane because of SAFE. I can't wait for it to be available!
Aug 25, 2018, 04:00 AM
we can take off without that
Any chance Horizon will use their expertise to design a new 10+ blade 70mm fan that sounds good and is more efficient than the current FMS, Freewing and Change Sun offerings?
Aug 25, 2018, 06:54 AM
Is it FPV read? The canopy looks perfect for a Pan&Tilt Setup <3
Aug 25, 2018, 11:43 AM

e-flite: maybe re-think your FJ-2 Fury?

blown away by this re-painted FMS Viper (I love the e-flite scheme!) with the flaps already provided, landing gear, SAFE option, and the most popular fan in the 70mm class, and all that at a really attractive price

what a contrast to the FJ-2 Fury: not cheap at all, awful sounding 5-blade fan, overheating ESCs (hope that won't happen with those 70A ESCs in the Viper, too, there is a reason FMS now changed to 80A ESCs in their Yaks...), color scheme not favored by the greater part of the EDF community I guess

would like a FJ-2 converted to the way more popular F-86 in the typical scheme Freewing does with their iconic 80mm Sabre, with a wooshy fan, that should breathe new life into the old model, provided the price is right, especially for a belly lander - IMHO of course
Aug 25, 2018, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSP_22
I'm buying this plane because of SAFE. I can't wait for it to be available!
They are available, I saw it in my LHS a couple of days ago. I am wondering if i should buy it since I am on a grass field

Quick Reply