Aug 24, 2018, 08:57 AM
I wonder if the new suspension gear on the fms yak v2 would fit in the viper?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2018, 01:28 PM
DW Productions
Just ordered mine from Horizon. On Facebook they are saying the BNF is in stock but when I ordered it says backordered, hmmmm. Can't wait to play with this one.
Aug 24, 2018, 01:58 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
Just ordered mine from Horizon. On Facebook they are saying the BNF is in stock but when I ordered it says backordered, hmmmm. Can't wait to play with this one.
Me too.i couldnt resist after seeing the promo vid.it looks so locked in Just ordered it through Tower hobbies
Aug 24, 2018, 03:48 PM
I never flown a jet before. I think this is going to be my first. I mean it has SAFE what possibly could go wrong?
Aug 24, 2018, 03:56 PM
Quote:
At the time of this post there are a few left in the Tower warehouse if you still want to get one from the first batch...see here:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLJM&P=7
Aug 24, 2018, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinseattle
I never flown a jet before. I think this is going to be my first. I mean it has SAFE what possibly could go wrong?
Exactly

But really, it's hard to go wrong with this as your first jet...in large part because of SAFE (but also because it's a great jet!)!
Aug 24, 2018, 04:27 PM
Learjets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
At the time of this post there are a few left in the Tower warehouse if you still want to get one from the first batch...see here:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLJM&P=7
Just saw one at Hobbytown Indy North. Look great in person too. Fed-Ex will deliver mine tomorrow.

Jason,
During the Facebook Q and A today, they were explaining how to bind with SAFE and get full rudder travel, I had to take a phone call and didn't hear all about it. Is that video available or written instruction on the Horizon web site somewhere?
Aug 24, 2018, 05:03 PM
34 years of flight.
Looks really awesome, ive never been a EDF fan but the Habu was cool just to heavy and not fast enough for me. my co worker back then loved his... Anyhow I was shocked to see it only at $249.99 seems like a great deal.. Can it be hand launched and belly landed? I know you said good for grass but the field I fly on is Super rough.
i have to put taller gear on almost all my planes and bigger wheels to handle the run way
Aug 24, 2018, 05:33 PM
DW Productions
Doesn't look build for hand launches and landings.
Aug 24, 2018, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
Looks really awesome, ive never been a EDF fan but the Habu was cool just to heavy and not fast enough for me. my co worker back then loved his... Anyhow I was shocked to see it only at $249.99 seems like a great deal.. Can it be hand launched and belly landed? I know you said good for grass but the field I fly on is Super rough.
i have to put taller gear on almost all my planes and bigger wheels to handle the run way
Quote:
Doesn't look build for hand launches and landings.
I just looked at it with hand-launches in mind. I sure wouldn't want to try it!
Aug 24, 2018, 05:40 PM
RC Beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjets
Just saw one at Hobbytown Indy North. Look great in person too. Fed-Ex will deliver mine tomorrow.

Jason,
During the Facebook Q and A today, they were explaining how to bind with SAFE and get full rudder travel, I had to take a phone call and didn't hear all about it. Is that video available or written instruction on the Horizon web site somewhere?
LIVE Q&A & Unboxing - E-flite Viper 70mm EDF (43 min 26 sec)
Aug 24, 2018, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
Exactly

But really, it's hard to go wrong with this as your first jet...in large part because of SAFE (but also because it's a great jet!)!
It would be my first Jet too. Will my DX6 (new black edition) be enough channels to run it all (ie. Flaps/Landing gear/Safe)?
Aug 24, 2018, 07:03 PM
That live video ran a bit longer than we hoped (and I guess there was a strange 'crossfeed' issue with a live couch auction video ), so we're planning to do another one on Monday to show how to use a 6-channel transmitter (DX6e, DX6, etc.) with all the functions and SAFE Select, and to go into more detail on how to get full rudder throw even if you don't want to use SAFE Select.

BTW, because I raised the throttle trim to keep the ESC from arming I wasn't able to assign the SAFE Select switch successfully (because it wasn't 'seeing' a low enough throttle setting) so please don't be concerned when you see that in the live video. Assigning the SAFE Select switch works just as I showed...you just need to be sure you have 100% low throttle, right rudder, up elevator and left aileron travel to do it (no low rates and don't raise the throttle trim like I did ).

Also, the Viper is not necessarily designed for hand launching, but I suspect it can be done (and maybe we'll do it in another video in the future?)...you might (or probably will!) need to add some protection on the bottom for landing on the belly though!
Aug 24, 2018, 07:08 PM
AA6JB
Thread OP
Handlaunching a low wing model like this is best done with the model inverted. Makes for a better hand grip.
Aug 24, 2018, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sads71
How many not so prefect landings will the wire struts take.

And as much for appearance than practicality

That aside she looks great and if she flies as well as other BNF models then this will be a winner I'm sure.
If its a similar landing gear to the FMS Yak-130 (which also has a 3mm wire gear), then the gear will be very strong and can take a lot of abuse. My FMS Yak-130 flies well off of a somewhat bumby grass field with no issues, and I'm new to EDFs, so my landings have been somewhat hard, fast, and bouncy at times, and the gear still looks 100% brand new. It's a very tough gear on the Yak-130, so hopefully this gear on the Viper will be similar.

Quick Reply