Feb 09, 2020, 11:36 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)

Starting build...

Time to wake this thread up. Got my Vertigo Light last week and had time today to weigh the parts and take a few pics. I'm truly impressed with the build quality. Wow. Beautiful finish on all parts and a very complete kit. Comes with pre-installed wiring harnesses, custom wing covers, 4 BlueBird servos, and 3D printed frames. I know V's take a long time to get, and there are guys out there who would do just about anything to get one, so I'm going to be building this one in an undisclosed location. Top secret

So here are the weights (note the weights of the 2 wingtip panels--talk about quality control!):
Main panel (hollow core, includes installed harness + D-connector)- 379gm
L wingtip- 129gm
R wingtip- 129gm
Fin/rudder (+ 2 long mount screws) - 33gm
Stab/elevator- 28gm
Joiners, 5 degr- 35.9gm
Joiners, 7 degr- 31.2gm
Fuse, nosecone (+ canopy)- 74g
Fuse, tailboom- 63gm
3D printed servo frames for BB servos- 1.9gm ea, 7.9gm for 4
RX G10 tray - 11.8gm
Ballast G10 tray (includes 2 captive nuts + ballast screw and anchor nut)- 11.0gm
Flap pushrods, 1.46mm dia wire + CF tube, (2)- 3.4gm total
Ail. pushrods, 1.46mm dia wire, (2) - 2.8gm total
42oz seems a reasonable goal. I'll be using BlueBird BMS-115HV's in the wing and MKS 6110's in the fuse. I'll use the provided 3D-printed frames in the wing and will make my own lite ply mount rails for the 6110's. I will set it up for ballast.

Will have it ready for Visalia in March.
Chris
Last edited by SoaringDude; Feb 09, 2020 at 11:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2020, 01:12 PM
Quick Q: the motor opening in my fuse has an I.D. of 28mm. I know some guys have used a 32mm CNC mount. I would hate to cut off any of the nosecone just to fit a 32mm mount. Any reason to not use a 30mm mount? Thanks
Feb 12, 2020, 07:43 PM
MNZONA SOAR
Chris you can use either mount as long as your chosen motor fits and your cg works out. Every time you move the motor back you are moving the cg back as well which could result in a heavier motor or battery to maintain your desired cg. BTW what motor do you have planned? Hope to see you in Visalia and have fun building your new model. Thats a awesome looking model
Feb 13, 2020, 10:50 AM
Personally I like 32 because I usually build everything that diameter. If you want to move the motor forward yes of course go smaller.
Feb 13, 2020, 12:46 PM
Thanks Brad and Joon. Based on the fact that Ed LaCroix's light needed some nose weight I'm going to go with 30mm to keep the motor more forward. I found a 28mm mount for the Reisenaur gb at Hyperflight but they do not have a 28mm Hyperspinner (cheaper and lighter than the GM ones). So 30mm it is!
Feb 13, 2020, 02:30 PM
I really like the spinner and prop from Vladimir as well. Simple, light, and well done.

Joon
Feb 13, 2020, 06:08 PM
MNZONA SOAR
Chris I just bought the new Vladimir Pro Spinner and prop. They get very close to the fuse less drag. I don't know how good it will work but it looks sweet
Feb 14, 2020, 11:52 AM
Good feedback on the spinner-prop combo. I already have my prop-spinner-motor-ESC combo ready for this plane. Same stuff that is in the Ultima-2 that I just finished (that plane is going to my friend Bill Curry after I complete the V after Phoenix). Hyperspinner ($17), Aeronaut CAM Carbon 12x6 prop ($13), Tenshock Viper 1020-12T+Reisenaur 5:1 gearbox ($169), and YGE35LVT ESC ($101). All light parts.

I have thrust bench tested this combo and it produces plenty of thrust. In the U-2 it launches to 230M+. YGE is expensive but it's thin and light and has a BEC that can give 6.0v that is needed for my backup+diodes solution. YGE is kind of a pain to work with when setting up . Fingers crossed the CG works out with minimum added weight...
Feb 14, 2020, 12:04 PM
MNZONA SOAR
I am also running that same motor ESC combo. Once I figured out the YGE software I really like it. What battery are you running with that 12x6 prop? I've been using the Hyperion 900 mAh HV 3 cell.
Feb 14, 2020, 12:20 PM
Tattu 3S 850 75C. I'm running my other 2 planes with the same pack. About the YGE35 I just went thru a debugging process where it was not putting out full power. YGE tech support sent me new firmware and said to also re-do the mode setup. After that it was fine.
Feb 14, 2020, 12:27 PM
MNZONA SOAR
I am putting the YGE 65 in my next build and it's already programed The only changes I made were to add a little more brake and to change the BEC to 7.5 volts to the servos.
Feb 18, 2020, 01:48 AM
Wing done

Completely finished the wing using the BlueBird BMS 115HV servos that were bundled with the Flightcomp kit. Followed both of Ali Khani's wing assembly videos which were a big help to me, especially with the flap install. I only deviated from Ali's instructions with a slightly longer flap pushrod of 64mm (Ali suggested 62mm) and a 6.5mm servo arm using the first hole in the longer 4-way BlueBird arms. For the ailerons I also used a 6.5mm arm. Final result: using a near full range of the servo's control signal the flaps deflect a full 90 degr down and 12mm up. I won't use quite that much but I get this full range without any binding (I watch a current meter closely while I first set up each servo's deflection limits). For ails I get +-20mm deflection, will probably use much less.

A big thank you to Ali K. and GCM Models for a nice design (and I haven't even finished building it yet ). I especially appreciate the work they put into working out the flap control horn geometry. The way the double-thick G10 horn glues into the sub-spar (per AK's vid) it has plenty deflection range if you install it right. Also very cool that it hides the linkage--no slots needed on the top skin.

I'll start on the fuselage when I get back from Southwest Classic. Can't wait.
Chris
Feb 19, 2020, 12:49 AM
Overkill is underrated
Chris, if you ever find you need the full 90 of flap I’ll be very surprised.

Ed
Feb 19, 2020, 02:18 AM
Ed, you're probably right but I figured it was worth making an effort to get the max just in case. I recently finished an Ultima-2 and found landings were noticeably faster than what I was used to with both my (E)xplorer F5J planes. So I did some back-of-napkin calcs: the X3-F5J, Ultima-2, and Vertigo are all 4m wings. The U-2 flap area was 8.2% less than the X3-F5J. The Vertigo flap area was 9.2% more than the U-2 and 0.5% more than the X3. So yes the V's flaps are relatively beefy (and yes I know the X3-F5J's chord is much wider). I'll probably set the initial limit at 80 degrees and see how it goes.
Feb 19, 2020, 04:28 PM
Set it up for 90 degrees. It will be there if you need it right?

Quick Reply