Sep 04, 2018, 09:50 AM
Thanks Roy, I actually stay in the air long enough now to need to charge my batteries. I think what I like most from this hobby is building a plane. It’s amazing what will fly.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2018, 12:56 PM
Agreed , the most rewarding thing about this hobby is seeing all that hard work pay off.

Keep after it ,
Clear skies and following winds,
Regards , Roy
Sep 08, 2018, 03:03 PM
Requires Further Research :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamForce
… My second attempt was a short flight followed by a spiral dive into a river bed ... The plane seemingly had no real control, was twitchy and would make sudden turns or dives... repaired the damage and tried it again ... Same thing. No control, sudden dives,
To me this sounds like losing and regaining radio link. "No control" would be completely lost radio link, extreme movements would be pushing on the sticks until you could see a response and then regaining the radio link.

Early in my RC flying hobby, I was having planes that would take-off and a few seconds later lose power and say “Beep Beep Beep” as it was falling into the ground. After some reading here on RC-Groups I figured out that the motor+propeller was pulling more power than my battery could keep up with, leading to a voltage sag and the electronics resetting, not good for flying.

If this sound relevant, try to setup a long glide with zero throttle to see if you can maintain control (receiver plus servos minus motor). Then graduate to quarter throttle then half throttle to see if you can keep control.

Also,
regarding comments about reversed controls, I think that it would be very easy to reverse the elevator controls, in aviation you always pull-the-stick-back/towards-pilot to raise the nose of the airplane, I have read on the internet (must be true) that in some First-Person-Shooters that you push-the-control-forward/away-from-operator to raise the rifle. So if you used a game controller for your sim practice, then it would be very easy to have learned "wrong" nose-up/nose-down control.

Good luck
JD
Oct 26, 2018, 04:05 AM
Make a very slow flying cub style and you'll get enjoyment instead of stress from crashes.
Slowest Flying RC plane 1 meter wingspan GWS J3 Cub (4 min 18 sec)
Oct 26, 2018, 05:32 AM
Looks like the OP never came back, only 2 posts :/
Jun 09, 2019, 09:27 AM
Thread OP

Hi everyone, thank you for the replies, I am reading through all of them

Life kind of got in the way and I had to take some time off building planes. Once things were more quiet I decided to get building a small drone and had great success with figuring out how to build it, tune it and fly it. It kept my interest in the hobby and allowed me to use the TX, RX and batteries that I got for the Tiny Trainer, as I built the 160mm drone around the parts I already had. It was cool to see all the replies and discussion around the problems I had with my original TT.
Not that ive had the success with drone flight, Ive started getting back into fixed wing again, and found a great looking design for a biplane called the Schoolgirl, based on a balsa design from the 60s I believe. Ill be on here more Im sure ill be on here more when I run into problems with the build.lol
Jun 09, 2019, 09:58 AM
Sokol
nice biplane , if you are interested in bipes, this is an easy one

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-foam-biplane
Jun 09, 2019, 10:30 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
The Schoolgirl is a nice plane , RC Groups member TooJung2Die has built one out of foam board :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ard-conversion

But for learning to fly ( with likely crashing ) , I still recommend building a sacrificial airframe like the EzFly or Super Easy in post #2 . Both those planes will protect the motor/prop in a nose-first crash .
Jun 09, 2019, 09:44 PM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
The Schoolgirl is a nice plane , RC Groups member TooJung2Die has built one out of foam board :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ard-conversion
Thanks, balsa or carbon! The first foam board Schoolgirl is my avatar. I'm still flying Schoolgirl #2 and took her out to the club field last week. Another member saw it flying. He has an original vintage balsa Schoolgirl powered by a Cox .049. He said he's now inspired to dust off the old girl and get her flying again. I'd love to see a balsa Schoolgirl again.

The Schoolgirl is a very docile, stable, easy to fly airplane. But I agree that for a beginner an airplane like the EzFly would be a better choice. The first RC airplane I successfully flew, landed and flew again was a Flite Test Tiny Trainer with the 3 channel glider wing.
Jun 12, 2019, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die

The Schoolgirl is a very docile, stable, easy to fly airplane. But I agree that for a beginner an airplane like the EzFly would be a better choice. The first RC airplane I successfully flew, landed and flew again was a Flite Test Tiny Trainer with the 3 channel glider wing.
Too late. I'm already half way through building the schoolgirl! Ive got most of the components built, Ive started putting everything together. But I wouldn't be opposed to building another plane.
I taped all the components together tonight to get a sense of how the balance will be and it seems really tail heavy with the battery directly under the wing where the COG is supposed to be. Im going to try to push the battery further forward because i want to avoid adding weight as much as possible.
Jun 12, 2019, 10:08 PM
flyin' fool
I agree with B or C .........…. start off right with the right design, a proven design, one that actually works as a tool in teaching one to fly. I've seem the EzyFly in action and it works.

Besides, with the School Girl you have two wings to constantly repair.
Jun 12, 2019, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy

lol never thought of it that way
Jun 13, 2019, 01:01 AM
flyin' fool
I always plan ahead. If you see me fly, you'd know why.
Jun 13, 2019, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamForce
Too late. I'm already half way through building the schoolgirl! Ive got most of the components built, Ive started putting everything together. But I wouldn't be opposed to building another plane.
I taped all the components together tonight to get a sense of how the balance will be and it seems really tail heavy with the battery directly under the wing where the COG is supposed to be. Im going to try to push the battery further forward because i want to avoid adding weight as much as possible.
I have the battery right behind the firewall and it balances perfectly. I don't find the CG position to be as critical on biplanes. Probably because the wings are usually staggered. I can switch from a 1300 mAh battery to a 1000 mAh battery with just a couple of clicks on the elevator trim.

Really nice looking Schoolgirl!

jon
Jun 13, 2019, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
When I built the first foamboard Schoolgirl I was a beginner pilot, regularly crashing airplanes. The Schoolgirl was the only airplane in my hanger that I consistently flew without incident. Taking off from the ground and landing smoothly were very hard on my airplanes. But, I found myself doing touch and go with ease with the Schoolgirl. I hope FoamForce has the same experience. I have confidence he will!

Quick Reply