Aug 28, 2018, 05:49 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Despite who has the best trainer or not , It will still crash , a simulator will not … I just wish there were simulators when we learned to fly … Would have saved a LOT of Time and Balsa !!! Once you can comfortably fly on a simulator , you’re well on your way to surviving your first actual flights , and that’s a Great feeling , a successful maiden … or SOLO !!!

Ps. A good friend of mine recently wanted to learn to fly , and so I put him on to FMS , using my old controller , and he’s doing great , three weeks and he’s confident for the real thing …
I agree simulators are helpful ..... but for unassisted first timers who are using a home made plane , they still have the hurdle of tuning the plane on those first maiden flights . To adjust the CG balance , rates & expo , control surface trim , etc ...... you have to fly the plane to observe what it needs . And it's difficult to fly the plane to make those observations ( and interpret them ) if the plane is far out of tune and you're inexperienced .

I still often tune planes for others at my flying field who have been flying for years .... it's difficult , even for experienced flyers .
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2018, 05:52 PM
Yes, simulator is the way to go if you are learning to fly. Once you are confident on simulator, start on a high wing pusher prop (like Bixler) plane and then 4ch tractor motor/LG plane.
Aug 28, 2018, 06:27 PM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
For a long time after flying the Tiny Trainer successfully (without crashing most of the time) I still had loss of orientation moments. Usually when the airplane was coming towards me or directly overhead.

I solved the problem by making the right wing green and the left wing red. For some reason it worked! My brain may not have been able to figure out turn left or right but it could easily figure out turn towards green or red.

After a while I realized I was moving the sticks in the correct direction without having to think about anything. (Usually)
Aug 29, 2018, 05:43 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
BorC is right , at the field , it’s really GOOD to have some experienced pilot to help trim the plane to fly right BEFORE you do … An out of trim plane, even a super trainer can still be a Handfull …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Aug 29, 2018, 11:06 AM
flyin' fool
I used to be an instructor at a local club. Can't count the time I've seen new guys show up with reversed controls.
Aug 29, 2018, 11:37 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
I used to be an instructor at a local club. Can't count the time I've seen new guys show up with reversed controls.
A few years ago a new guy showed up at our field with a beautiful scratch-built Polaris . For whatever reason ( shy? ) he would go to the other side of the field and try to fly the Polaris .... it would take off and immediately crash . A week later he would show up again with the repaired Polaris and do the same exact thing .... take off and immediately crash . This went on for about two months ! One day he finally decided he'd had enough and walked over to ask me for help . I did a quick control surface check and his ailerons were reversed ! We immediately fixed the problem , and here is his first successful flight with his Polaris :

Mitch's Polaris (2 min 0 sec)
Aug 30, 2018, 01:34 AM
ski bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
If you would like a DTFB EzFly that flies like the one in post #2 , I can help you . If you follow my advice , it won't be a disaster .
You've really helped me get a handle on what the EzFly is. I appreciate that very much. And I appreciate your generous offer of help. I may take you up on it.

But first I want to try a different approach and see if I can learn something from it. It's an amalgam of three planes: The forward fuse is an EzFly, the aft fuselage and empennage are from Andrew Newton's polyhedral RET pusher, and the wing is directly from The Fish. (It's an undercamber single-sheet wing that's very easy to build and weighs only 80 grams. It's plenty strong and durable. It has effective wingtip dihedrals for stability.)

Motor is a stick-mount Blue Wonder in pusher config.

Don't think it will fly as slowly as the planes in your videos do, but it will fly more slowly than my current Fish, and will probably be able to point into the wind better. It will also be less susceptible to prop breakage thanks to the pusher design.

Edit: I plan on adding about four degrees positive incidence to the wing. Also, experience has taught me that the CG of the plane should be pretty much right at the first fold of the wing.
Last edited by K2XR10; Aug 30, 2018 at 01:41 AM.
Aug 30, 2018, 02:19 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2XR10
You've really helped me get a handle on what the EzFly is. I appreciate that very much. And I appreciate your generous offer of help. I may take you up on it.

But first I want to try a different approach and see if I can learn something from it. It's an amalgam of three planes: The forward fuse is an EzFly, the aft fuselage and empennage are from Andrew Newton's polyhedral RET pusher, and the wing is directly from The Fish. (It's an undercamber single-sheet wing that's very easy to build and weighs only 80 grams. It's plenty strong and durable. It has effective wingtip dihedrals for stability.)

Motor is a stick-mount Blue Wonder in pusher config.

Don't think it will fly as slowly as the planes in your videos do, but it will fly more slowly than my current Fish, and will probably be able to point into the wind better. It will also be less susceptible to prop breakage thanks to the pusher design.

Edit: I plan on adding about four degrees positive incidence to the wing. Also, experience has taught me that the CG of the plane should be pretty much right at the first fold of the wing.
Let us know how it turns out , with video if possible !
Aug 30, 2018, 07:46 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Good luck K2 !!! Have Fun experimenting … and Yes, please make a video …

" I want to try a different approach and see if I can learn something from it.” … it's the way we learned , long before simulators. But there was still a good deal of crashing involved with the learning process . We always chose fields with Tall Grass !!!
With Foamies , it's so much better because they were Quick and cheap … or as once was called around here “Disposable Parkflyers “ ..
Last edited by gpw; Aug 30, 2018 at 08:03 AM.
Aug 30, 2018, 03:54 PM
>> Also, experience has taught me that the CG of the plane should be pretty much right at the first fold of the wing.

I trust wingcalc more than my experience.
Aug 30, 2018, 09:50 PM
ski bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewon
>> Also, experience has taught me that the CG of the plane should be pretty much right at the first fold of the wing.

I trust wingcalc more than my experience.
You trust wingcalc more than your experience with the wing itself??
Sep 01, 2018, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
For a long time after flying the Tiny Trainer successfully (without crashing most of the time) I still had loss of orientation moments. Usually when the airplane was coming towards me or directly overhead.

I solved the problem by making the right wing green and the left wing red. For some reason it worked! My brain may not have been able to figure out turn left or right but it could easily figure out turn towards green or red.

After a while I realized I was moving the sticks in the correct direction without having to think about anything. (Usually)
Never fly over yourself or behind you.

Always keep your planes atleast 9 feet infront for small models and even further for larger. Small foamie or not it's good practise. This is how most clubs teach and for good reason - safety
Sep 01, 2018, 08:29 PM
treefinder
And don't forget, stay in the middle of the air, flying in the edges of the air is bad (except for takeoff and landings!)
Sep 04, 2018, 08:52 AM
I have to add my two cents too. I thank Balsa and Carbon/GPW for their input into my situation. I started my RC Hobby about a year ago. My story is much the same as Foam Force. My SLO-stick was a flop...stick (hemlock) too heavy I think. My experience with FT FLYER and Nutball were not much better-too fast for me. I’m revisiting the Old Foggie now except I’m using a foam body. I was inspired again- by “Old Foggie-ish” ��. I have built and flown the Old Foggie before, but the wind literally drove it into the ground! I’ve built several FT planes, Andrew Newton’s trainer_which is my go to plane, and experimental airlines design planes and wings. NOW I’ve just got to build the EzFly and Super Ezy. I’m learning you need to keep them LIGHT. Thanks again for this great article.
Last edited by James Goodwin; Sep 04, 2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Typo error
Sep 04, 2018, 08:57 AM
Ok , just my $0.02,

Many years (3), I fought with trying to stay in the air/ landing my foamy home builds w/ little to no success, some flights great others disaster. Sometimes the failure was in my building , sometimes pilot error.

I followed this path due to cost and lack of a near by r/c club.

Got a lot of great info, support from these forums.

The bottom line, grab a champ from eBay for cheap or a new one if you can , find a club near by , then come back to building.

I suggest the Champ because it is cheap, parts are cheap, nearly indestructible, (you will learn to fix it), and best of all it takes builder error out of the equation.

Good luck, Roy

Quick Reply