Sep 07, 2018, 10:22 AM
Planes are for trix
Thread OP
Awesome Mark!
Post some video.
I'd love to see some, "dam", flying.....
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2018, 10:55 AM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Thanks!
Sep 07, 2018, 12:49 PM
Troy. Do you depaper the dollar tree foam board?

Thanks Ray
Sep 07, 2018, 10:27 PM
(1 min 32 sec)

Sorry guys had trouble uploading last weekend. Here is a bit of the fun we had. Hope to see you all tomorrow!
Sep 08, 2018, 11:42 AM
Planes are for trix
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus

Thanks Ray
hey Ray,
I've been lucky enough to have some left over depron and just started using the DTF.
It will fly great with the paper on but it would be nice to take it off of one side (the top of the plane) maybe.
That way it would be a little easier to sand the LE, though the yellow Instigator wing that Justin is flying in the video was just beveled and not sanded, which would make leaving the paper on, an easy option.

Let me know what you come up with
Sep 08, 2018, 11:44 AM
Planes are for trix
Thread OP
Super cool video, Chris, I'll post on the front page too.
Those little suckers look like "nats" flying around
Sep 09, 2018, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus

Thanks Ray

Hey Ray, i've got a sheet of foam you can use, would be great to have you combat with us. its really fun with these simple light weight wings.
Sep 09, 2018, 11:42 AM
Im at daves wind is better at this time than it was yesterday (direction, speed)

bit of a fog bank but it should clear up

-J
Sep 09, 2018, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax
hey Ray,
I've been lucky enough to have some left over depron and just started using the DTF.
It will fly great with the paper on but it would be nice to take it off of one side (the top of the plane) maybe.
That way it would be a little easier to sand the LE, though the yellow Instigator wing that Justin is flying in the video was just beveled and not sanded, which would make leaving the paper on, an easy option.

Let me know what you come up with
I have a feeling the LE bevel barely makes a difference. Have you tried no bevel/foil at all?

From my experience with DTF, removing one side causes the foam to warp. Maybe that could be remedied by laying the foam on a flat surface with an iron applied to the paper side.
Sep 10, 2018, 09:59 AM
Planes are for trix
Thread OP
Hi Ray,
Yes you are right about the dollar tree foam.
Clearance said yesterday that he has found the poster board at Blick, way better and really flat.
He made a flat delta out of it with paper removed. Looked very much like depron quality.

This Instigator idea is wide open for new ideas and more testing
Sep 10, 2018, 12:45 PM
Troy, is there a spar at the CG? Looks like it on some photos. Thanks. Rick
Sep 10, 2018, 12:55 PM
They work either way. Kinda more fun with no spar if you go for a 36"er, quadshot's flexes all funny but flies great.
Sep 12, 2018, 07:23 AM
Very interesting. I'm half way to finished item, but what has been the strongest wind you've flown it in? Also, how much throw for the elevons,(elevator and aileron functions)? Many thanks in anticipation.
Sep 12, 2018, 09:08 AM
Throws depend on your reflexes I would go for as much as possible.

Wind range 2-20 - gotta keep the nose down past 10 to penetrate
Last edited by RideTheWind; Sep 12, 2018 at 09:26 AM.
Sep 12, 2018, 12:48 PM

Instigator with 9 MPH wind

Soaring at Saylorville (3 min 14 sec)

Soaring at Saylorville Dam with the "Instigator".

Before this flight I had to replace servos in the field with a bit heavier ones after a servo failed.

Flies even better when lighter than this, but 9gm servos were the only replacements I had with me.

Thanks Troy for such a fun soaring plane.

Mark Miner

Quick Reply