Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Durafly Mitsubishi J8M Shusui

Back in 2015 we reviewed the Durafly Me-163 Komet and had a blast with it. Now they've updated it and turned it into a Mitsubishi J8M Shusui.

Splash

Duraflys Me-163 Komet Gets a Face Lift

Back in 2015 we reviewed the Durafly Me-163 Komet and had a blast with it. Now they've updated it and turned it into a Mitsubishi J8M Shusui.

The trim scheme looks fantastic and it comes with all the electronics installed and ready for your receiver and flight battery. Just like the Komet before it, it comes with an ejectable dolly style undercarriage for ROG take offs and has provisions to drop in a rocket motor for that extra cool pass down the runway and straight up to the heavens. It has a large battery bay and the included power system works with both 3S and 4S lipo batteries. Other features include EPO airframe construction and a quick assembly with low parts count. You can get the Durafly Mitsubishi J8M Shusui right now at HobbyKing for $148.41.

Specs:

  • Wingspan: 950mm (37.4")
  • Length: 585mm (23')
  • Flying Weight: 1220g (with electronic and battery)
  • ESC: Durafly 40A brushless ESC
  • Motor: Durafly 2836 2200kv Outrunner
  • Prop: 6x4 (2 included)
  • Servos: 2 x metal geared 9g (aileron/elevator), 1 x 9g rudder
  • Controls: 6 ch 'Elevons' (aileron/elevator), throttle, rudder, gear (dolly), optional rocket switch

Check out the Durafly Mitsubishi J8M Shusui Here

Thread Tools
Aug 22, 2018, 09:19 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
Yes! This thing looks great.
I didn't even realize that there was a Mitsubishi version of the Komet. I guess that I need to read up.

WWII era Nazi fighters have lost their appeal lately. Like most folks here, I can still categorize them as historically important feats of engineering...but with the events in Charlottesville too fresh in the memory, and the general rise of hateful ideology and resurgence of fascism around the world, it's just too real. I just don't want representations of such hateful ideology around the thing that I do for fun and relaxation.

The emotional distance with other parts of the Axis powers is a bit greater...so a Japan scheme is very welcome.
Last edited by MRGTX; Aug 22, 2018 at 09:25 AM.
Aug 22, 2018, 09:33 AM
Registered User
Sounds like you might be letting yourself get too influenced by the media... Planes are planes and history is history. What some dumb schmoes today do is a different matter. Nazi Germany did not have a monopoly on hate..(nor the Allies on good..) It was just quite efficient at it... People have been hating and killing each other forever.

(On the topic of history, without wishing to be an apologist - not at all, I do think the portrayal of Nazis in English speaking countries is cartoonishly simplistic, as if they were all demons who climbed out of the bowels of hell. And not.... you know, humans. Because humans they were. Humans, btw, fearful of the spread of global Bolschevism..., lest we forget. There was bloody fighting with communists in the streets of Germany in the 20's. Then hyperinflation, the ridiculously harsh French driven Treaty of Versailles, and well a lot of other things all coming together to create the mess that was WWII...)

Just today I was listening to the Hardcore History podcast about Japan... Interesting stuff. Check it out...
Aug 22, 2018, 09:41 AM
Thecheesemiester's Avatar
Yes its also important to remember that not everyone lives in the US... Here in Britain people couldn't care less whether your plane has a swastika on it or not. Besides the popularity of the freewing me262 and durafly 109 would suggest that they have not lost their appeal.
Aug 22, 2018, 10:01 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Yes! This thing looks great.
I didn't even realize that there was a Mitsubishi version of the Komet. I guess that I need to read up.

WWII era Nazi fighters have lost their appeal lately. Like most folks here, I can still categorize them as historically important feats of engineering...but with the events in Charlottesville too fresh in the memory, and the general rise of hateful ideology and resurgence of fascism around the world, it's just too real. I just don't want representations of such hateful ideology around the thing that I do for fun and relaxation.

The emotional distance with other parts of the Axis powers is a bit greater...so a Japan scheme is very welcome.
Way to make things not even remotely political political.

You sure are a credit to our society.

Like out of all the things, charlotesville? Really? That's what concerns you? Not genocide in south africa, not mass starvation in venezuela..

That's what you are worried about.. and you bring it into a thread talking about a toy airplane.
Aug 22, 2018, 10:09 AM
Registered User
Great looking plane! Glad to see you guys incorporated some bright colors, us guys with crummy eyes should easily be able to see her lol.

One of these is def on my wish list!
Aug 22, 2018, 11:02 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
I appreciate the responses here. I didn't mean to start a debate but clearly, this bugs you guys on some level...and likely, you've worked pretty hard on justifying why it's acceptable or not. In the end, if you come down on the side of "Nazis weren't really so bad if you think about it..." like some of you are indicating...you can seriously go play in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Sounds like you might be letting yourself get too influenced by the media... Planes are planes and history is history. What some dumb schmoes today do is a different matter. Nazi Germany did not have a monopoly on hate..(nor the Allies on good..) It was just quite efficient at it... People have been hating and killing each other forever.

(On the topic of history, without wishing to be an apologist - not at all, I do think the portrayal of Nazis in English speaking countries is cartoonishly simplistic, as if they were all demons who climbed out of the bowels of hell. And not.... you know, humans. Because humans they were. Humans, btw, fearful of the spread of global Bolschevism..., lest we forget. There was bloody fighting with communists in the streets of Germany in the 20's. Then hyperinflation, the ridiculously harsh French driven Treaty of Versailles, and well a lot of other things all coming together to create the mess that was WWII...)

Just today I was listening to the Hardcore History podcast about Japan... Interesting stuff. Check it out...
I can see that you went to History Podcast University and that does entitle you to criticize other people for being influenced by their inferior media....but you're wrong with your lame "history is history" tautology. Open your eyes. It's happening here in the US, it's happening in Europe.

By the way, just saying that you're not "wishing to be an apologist" doesn't get you off the hook. Minimizing a political movement in living memory that was founded on the absolute worst of human nature is abhorrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecheesemiester
...Here in Britain people couldn't care less whether your plane has a swastika on it or not. Besides the popularity of the freewing me262 and durafly 109 would suggest that they have not lost their appeal.
Whoa. You speak on behalf of everyone in Britain? I call BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
Way to make things not even remotely political political.

You sure are a credit to our society.

Like out of all the things, charlotesville? Really? That's what concerns you? Not genocide in south africa, not mass starvation in venezuela..

That's what you are worried about.. and you bring it into a thread talking about a toy airplane.
Am I understanding you correctly that so long as one terrible thing is happening in the world, we're not able to speak about any other terrible thing?
That's rich. Well, I'm not planning on flying a plane with the flag of Venezuela on it either. Are you satisfied?

What kinds of things are you doing about all of these atrocities around the world? How do you figure out which ones to deal with first?
Aug 22, 2018, 11:39 AM
Thecheesemiester's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX

Whoa. You speak on behalf of everyone in Britain? I call BS.


And you speak on behalf of everyone in the US when you say after charlotteville everyone is scared of German planes? All im saying is people aren't bothered here about rc planes from Germany... over here all the ex surviving luftwaffe planes have swastikas and nobody bats an eyelid.
Aug 22, 2018, 11:47 AM
Registered User
I was not “minimizing” anything, but pointing out that the view of things you let yourself get so upset by is simplistic and in any case irrelevant in a thread about toy airplanes. I mean, bringing up Charlottesville in a thread about a toy German airplane is just goofy…

What happened in Charlottesville has nothing to do with German airplanes from 75 years ago. Furthermore, your reaction to it is merely sappy and pathetic. You don’t want a German plane because it hurts your feelings, is what it sounds like. Well I would say keep your feelings to yourself, and politics out of a thread about toy airplanes.

( note: my comment was not political, but more about history… And the fascination many of us have with warbirds is heavily influenced by history and nostalgia.. And no, that does not mean I am glorifying Nazis…)

The podcast about Japan was interesting, as well as relevant. The point I was making was that your wanting a Japanese airplane instead of a German airplane, based on some simplistic ignorant idea that the Japanese were nicer than the Germans, is frankly absurd.

Why do you want a warbird at all? They are, after all, machines of war, meant for killing people… And what with all the hate in the world that’s just so mean and all... Go fly a glider. Though that might hurt your feelings too, because so many Nazi pilots got their start flying gliders, since they were not allowed to have a real Air Force after World War I…
Last edited by Herrsavage; Aug 22, 2018 at 12:05 PM.
Aug 22, 2018, 11:48 AM
Registered User
An original ( I think the only one that exists ) is in the Chino Planes of Fame air museum.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Aug 22, 2018, 11:53 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecheesemiester
And you speak on behalf of everyone in the US when you say after charlotteville everyone is scared of German planes? All im saying is people aren't bothered here about rc planes from Germany... over here all the ex surviving luftwaffe planes have swastikas and nobody bats an eyelid.
I actually never said that at all. Speaking on behalf of your nation was your bit.

I said that Nazism feels too real these days for me to want those symbols as part of the thing I do for fun. .

Dozens of WWII German planes have been in my fleet over the years...and it never felt like a problem until I saw people waving these flags around for real. So long as people aren't trying to make a political statement with the WWII era Japanese symbols, I personally find it possible to maintain emotional distance.

My only point was that I'm glad to see a new, less politically laden paint scheme on a plane that I was interested in picking up.

Honestly, I didn't anticipate the thin skins around here.
I'm specifically not faulting anyone who feels like they can remove themselves from the Nazi/fascist ideology and just enjoy the airplanes...I get that. I will however, fault anyone who supports these ideologies.
Aug 22, 2018, 11:54 AM
Registered User
Jabberwocky_'s Avatar
Now y'all just take a chill pill now, ya hear... or else I'll use my Peace Corps Transport and do a candy drop on ya with some cayenne pepper flavoured gum-drops. That'll fix ya!
Aug 22, 2018, 12:01 PM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
...You don’t want a German plane because it hurts your feelings, is what it sounds like. Well I would say keep your feelings to yourself, and politics out of a thread about toy airplanes.
...
Man, it's almost funny.
Last edited by MRGTX; Aug 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM.
Aug 22, 2018, 12:06 PM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
An original ( I think the only one that exists ) is in the Chino Planes of Fame air museum.
Thanks! I will look that up. Is this the paint scheme of the one at the Chino museum?
It's incredible how many of these kinds of historical machines are down to one or two copies left in existence.
Aug 22, 2018, 12:48 PM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Thanks! I will look that up. Is this the paint scheme of the one at the Chino museum?....
It looks like they got their inspiration elsewhere.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Mitsubishi A6M Zero - Flite Test Mighty Mini Style - Build Log, Video, & Free Plans localfiend Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 28 Jul 22, 2016 05:26 PM
Build Log 42" Dollar Tree Foam A6M Mitsubishi Zero (Optional Floats) - Build Log & Flight Video localfiend Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 14 Jan 01, 2016 08:21 PM
Discussion Mitsubishi Ki-46 "Dinah" II & III TedD60 Scale Drawings and Three Views 0 Nov 04, 2015 12:47 PM
Scratch EPP Mitsubishi J8M1 Shusui surfimp Slope 63 Jul 19, 2004 07:25 PM
Catapult Shusui glider Alfredo Rubio Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 3 May 26, 2003 05:36 PM