Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Basher RockSta 1/24 4WS Mini Rock Crawler Review

The Basher RockSta is a micro sized crawler with big features like you'd see in larger trucks. This is the 2nd version of this crawler and it now has metal gears for durability and features a cool 4 wheel drive and steering system with 4 steering modes to help you tackle tiny terrain.

Splash

Introduction

Completion Level: Ready to Run RTR
Scale Size: 1:24
Drive Train: 4WD
Steering: 4-Way Steering with 4 Modes
Wheelbase: 136mm
Battery: 2S 350mAH (Not Included)
Available at: HobbyKing
Price: $88.60

The Basher RockSta is a micro sized crawler with big features like you'd see in larger trucks. This is the 2nd version of this crawler and it now has metal gears for durability and features a cool 4 wheel drive and steering system with 4 steering modes to help you tackle tiny terrain.

It's a cool looking truck, so let's dig right in and see what you get in the box and how it performs.

What's in the Box

The box is small and the crazy part is, it holds the truck which is completely assembled as well as the pistol grip transmitter. The only other item in the box is the manual. HobbyKing also sent me some Zippy 2S 250mAh lipos to use. Here's some photos of the truck right out of the box.

There are two instruction manuals included. One shows the breakdown of all the truck parts and how they are put together and also includes a complete spare parts listing in case you need it. The other manual goes over the operation of the transmitter and the different steering functions available.

The only thing you need to do to get ready to play is install 4 AA batteries into the transmitter, charge your own 2S 350mAh lipo and install it into the bottom of the truck. The battery bay uses 4 body pins to hold the cover in place. That's the only thing I didn't really like as those can get lost easily and I would have rather it had a hatch that is secured without loose hardware.

Features

• Metal Gear Train
  • 4 Wheel Steering with 4 Selectable Modes
  • Waterproof Battery and PCB Case
  • Clean Laser Engraved Body
  • Adjustable Cast Angle
  • 2.4Ghz Radio System

Driving

This thing is a purpose built micro crawler and it does that job quite well. I was impressed with the low speed you can achieve. Most of the time when barely pulling the trigger the front wheels would run first and the back wheels would start running with more throttle. That might be problematic when traversing technical terrain when you'd want all 4 wheels running at the same time at a very low speed. It wasn't an issue at all for me to get through my course though.

It's not very fast, but most crawlers aren't. I was super impressed with its climbing ability. I have a set of stairs with a super steep railing and I was able to run the truck right up it and stop without sliding back. That's another thing I really liked, when you let off the throttle, the wheels stayed locked and wouldn't free wheel coast. That allowed the truck to stick to the wood, rock or whatever and hold its position.

There is a ton of suspension travel for such a small truck and it was able to navigate over small rocks and other obstacles with ease. It really is just a mini version of a 1/10 scale crawler. It was fun to set up some books and other household items to make a micro track in the house or take it outside to a rocky hill and play away. This thing climbs!

Video

Gallery

Conclusion

This little crawler is big on fun. I had a great time setting up a mini course in my house and running it over and over again. The steering options are fun to play with and highly useful in the right situations. It works great outside on smaller rocky areas and the price is great for what you get and how it performs. I've had it fall off ledges from 3-4 feet multiple times and it fell about 14' straight down onto a hardwood floor (see the blooper reel at the end of the video) and haven't broken any parts, so I expect it to continue to hold up well over time. If you are into crawlers, there's no reason not to pick one of these up.

Links

You can find the Basher RockSta 1/24 4WS Mini Rock Crawler at HobbyKing

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Aug 25, 2018, 01:25 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Dang it Jason...now my son and I both want one!

Nice review, the RockSta looks like a really capable micro crawler.
Aug 25, 2018, 07:00 PM
RCG Admin
Hey at least they are under $100! Enjoy and post up a video if you want after you get them.
Aug 27, 2018, 10:02 PM
Soar high, huck low
I think I need one! Based on the video, it seems robust enough to handle tumbles off the sofa, etc. Is that the main point of the metal gear upgrade over the v1? What kind of run time does it get?
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Aug 28, 2018, 06:28 AM
RCG Admin
I’m thinking the plastic gears on the older one could possibly strip out under the right conditions so the metal gears make it more robust on that. The frame can certainly take a hit! I didn’t check on runtime, but guessing it’s around 15-25 minutes. I’m heading out on vacation, but can check the runtime when I get back.
Aug 28, 2018, 07:23 AM
Soar high, huck low
Solid run time. Tha t answers my question
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Sep 03, 2018, 05:03 PM
我什麼也不知道
Now with metal gears finally you can put bigger wheels on without stripping gear after gear after gear after gear.... (been there, done that)

Great little crawler!
Sep 03, 2018, 08:16 PM
RCG Admin
What wheels did you put on it?
Sep 04, 2018, 12:52 AM
我什麼也不知道
https://m.banggood.com/Wltoys-A979-R...-p-926356.html
And
https://m.banggood.com/Wltoys-A979-R...-p-926175.html

Video still:
Last edited by xs4reak; Sep 04, 2018 at 01:12 AM.
Sep 09, 2018, 03:12 AM
The front steering servo no longer works halfway through the second pack.

And....., none of my other 9G servos fit. Annoying.
Sep 09, 2018, 07:10 AM
RCG Admin
Bummer!
Sep 12, 2018, 08:22 AM
So are you really limited to these specialized servos if you have to replace one? Are they even available separately?
Sep 12, 2018, 08:46 AM
我什麼也不知道
I don’t know, but I’d expect any same sized servo to fit. On several occasions I replaced “specialized servo’s” with cheaper HK versions. Can be hit and miss, but in the end it always worked out.
Sep 12, 2018, 08:58 AM
Happy fly begin
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs4reak
I don’t know, but I’d expect any same sized servo to fit. On several occasions I replaced “specialized servo’s” with cheaper HK versions. Can be hit and miss, but in the end it always worked out.

Turnigy™ TGY-9025MG MG Servo fit but the mount holes are slightly not aligned but they will work. Trying these next-
Corona 919MG Digital Metal Gear Servo
Last edited by JimH; Sep 12, 2018 at 09:05 AM.
Sep 12, 2018, 02:16 PM
I have two kinds of 9g MG servos. Both have bodies like 1cm deeper than the stock servo. Would throw the whole linkage geometry out of whack. And doesn‘t fit on the other side anyway..

Quick Reply