Aug 20, 2018, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How to design a 3 piece wing?

I an thinking about building a large twin engine plane. Plans show one piece wind, to big to transport. I want to make a 3 piece wing with main center section with both engine and main landing gear on it, and two plug in outer wing panels. This is something that I have never tried before.
Can anyone tell me where I can find drawings of how to do a 3 piece wing or a video how to? Maybe a build along that has this kind of construction. I NEED HELP here. Thanks for your time and any replies.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2018, 03:10 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Ken...

Not much, but maybe enough to get you thinking while waiting for others. Here's a Build Log of my Electra sailplane, where I describe its conversion to a plug-in three-piece wing. Hope this helps...

Electra Build Log...
Last edited by Dad3353; Aug 20, 2018 at 08:24 PM.
Aug 20, 2018, 03:46 PM
Scott
Seems to me it should be pretty simple. Plug in wings are pretty much standard in large planes now. Just make 2 plug in wings that go into the center. A wing tube on each side, a couple of anti rotation pins. You will probably end up with a hatch on each side in the center portion to access the servo wires and wing attachment screws.

Scott
Aug 20, 2018, 04:35 PM
Leroy G.
A 3 piece wing for a twin engine low wing plane. I look at this as easy, outer wing panels can be made removable ,just outside of nacelles and mount on aluminum tubes.

Leroy
Aug 20, 2018, 04:56 PM
B for Bruce
The key to a good job is to build the main load bearing joiner boxes or slip tube into the main spar and tie it all together. That way the loads are transferred across the joint from the outer spars to the joiner and on to the inner spars directly. Don't rely on the ribs for much at all

What I do for the times I've done this is to build the wings in one piece with about a 1/4" gap between the two ribs where the joint will be. The slip tube for the rod or tube joiner or the box for the vertical flat blade joiner are built right into this structure. This ensures ideal alignment of the wing panels and joiners. And this includes not only the main joiner but also the sub joiner that ensures anti rotation and lines things up well. This secondary joiner can be quite small compared to the main joiner because it isn't taking much of the load. It's mostly there to keep things in twist alignment.

Once built I'll cut the outer panels from the inner along that intended joint line. The remaining stubs of wood that are left are all cut or sanded back flush to the rib and the panel is faced with plywood suitable for the sort of design and size. This plywood full profile root rib ensures you can keep a nice sharp corner and that the joint will close to a fine line. And it greatly resists hangar rash from dings during handling.

Mostly you just need to look at the plans you're using and figure out how best to do something similar. If you decide on a design and can take a picture or cut and paste the area of the wing you want to put the joint into I'm sure some of us could offer up more specific suggestions on type and size for the joiner setup.
Aug 21, 2018, 09:49 AM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
A life with relatively small cars ment most of my models had to be capable of disassembly for transport.

Ray. http://www.eflightray.x10host.com/

I find that most of my race planes take up much less room in the car on the way home from the race....

Scott
Aug 21, 2018, 10:27 AM
Thread OP

3 piece wing.

THANKS to all of you for reply. I need a way to hold outer wing panels on main section so they can not move or fall off in flight. Looking for simple locking set up that is easy to do and still looks good. Any clear drawing or picture of such a set up would help me. Working on a sweep wing twin DLE 20 engine scale plane to be used at War Bird flies. It will be a really rare plane if I can design wing, the rest will be very easy.
I need to be able to carry this in compact car and with a 96 inch wing it MUST be in sections. Thanks again to everyone for your help. Ken C.
Aug 21, 2018, 01:09 PM
Scott
The typical way I have seen is a wing tube at the main spar area to carry the load, and some sort of smaller anti rotation pin at the leading and trailing edges. Usually plug in wings fit flush with the fuselage side so the hardware ends up under a removable canopy. A blind nut or threaded insert is placed in the wing and a simple nylon bolt is threaded through the fuselage side into the wing to keep it from pulling off of the tube. This is why I eluded to needing a removable hatch in the outer portion of the center section, to access the aileron wire and attachment bolt. Of course, adequate structure must be in place to hold it all.

Scott
Aug 21, 2018, 01:14 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I use a friction fit 'locking pin' through the 'joiner' and up against a rib braced with thin ply.

Though I must admit I don't roll planes that weren't meant to roll in full size, I like to fly 'scale like' .

There should be a way to lock a pin in place. So far, never had a problem with this method, the B-25 is now 25 years old and still flying.

Ray.
Aug 21, 2018, 01:29 PM
Thread OP

3 piece wing.

A SUPPER THANK YOU to all of you. I got great help and now sure I can design working 3 piece wing for my Turbo prop B-47 model. All you out there are wonderful people. I hope if I ever learn how to up load pictures to web I will do a build along of my RC model of B-47. Bless all of you. And yes I will fly it somewhere in northern Ohio next year. Ken C.
Aug 21, 2018, 01:46 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I found a picture that shows a pin, been asked before.

Ray.
Aug 28, 2018, 11:36 AM
Thread OP

B-47 prop jet

Just got plans, this is a huge plane. Will spend next couple of weeks to study them and see if I can redesign as these plans are for a U Control plane!!!!!
A project like this need a lot of planing and most of winter building season, if I want to do it. Have to design retracts, 3 piece wing and split fuse just to carry this plane. Lots to think about. I will try to keep everyone in loop. Ken C
Last edited by ken Cigler; Aug 28, 2018 at 02:25 PM.
Aug 28, 2018, 01:18 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I started my model building and flying with U Control, (we call it 'control line' in the UK), and that was back in the mid 50's. 60+ years of modeling just seems to fly by

What do you call 'huge' ?, just the span will do if you want to keep the model name under wraps.

Ray.

Doh!, should have read the title, a B-47
Aug 28, 2018, 01:27 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Found this thread ---

B 47 Stratojet

Quick Reply