Top 10 Reasons Why I Love RC Flying

The Radio Controlled Hobby is the best hobby in the world. Read on below to find out my Top 10 Reasons for Why I Love RC Flying.

Splash

The Greatest Hobby in the World

Hi, My name is Jason Cole and I am a radio controlled hobby addict. I can stop at anytime, but I DON'T WANT TO!!! LOL. As soon as I found the hobby way back in college, I fell in love with it and I knew it would be my hobby for life. There's so many reasons to love what we do that I wanted to share my top 10 reasons for why I love the RC hobby so much.

1. The Love of Aviation. Looking up at the sky and dreaming about flying, or getting excited seeing planes flying overhead? Yep you love aviation too. For me it started at a very young age playing with all sorts of flying toys like boomerangs, chuck gliders and kites. I just loved anything that flew through the air like magic. It's a strong reason for me enjoying the RC hobby.

2. Doing Something with Your Hands. Building and repairing airplanes requires skill and it gives you an amazing feeling seeing something you built flying in the air. It's that feeling of accomplishment that you can only get by doing something with your hands.

3. Spending Time with Friends. While flying alone is still fun, nothing beats getting together with your buddies and spending a day flying, talking and laughing at the field. It's funny how you can meet someone at a flying event or your local field and become instant friends in aviation.

4. Competition. I grew up playing sports and have a huge competitive drive in me. I don't have to give that up to fly. There are competitions for just about every segment of the hobby so you can pit yourself against other pilots and see how you stack up. It also gives you something to aim for and purpose to improve your skills.

5. Learning New Skills. There's always something new you can learn in this hobby. Whether it's a new repair technique, a flying maneuver or figuring out a new transmitter program. Learning new skills keeps it interesting and exciting.

6. It's a Good Clean Hobby. There's a million ways you can spend your time and plenty of destructive or poor choices out there. I love that the RC hobby is good clean family friendly fun.

7. Variety. Man this is no joke either, there are a ton of different plane types out there. Be it jets, giant scale, aerobatic, scale, gliders, etc there are so many different planes to choose from. There's always something different you could try, how could you ever get bored or tired of flying.

8. It's Cheap. Well, relatively. Sure there are RC planes out there that cost more than full size planes, but on the whole the RC hobby is a heck of lot less expensive than flying in real planes.

9. Anyone Can Do It. The RC hobby is open to everyone, male or female, young or old and that is encouraging to me. Seeing guys that are 2 times my age still out there enjoying the hobby tells me I'll be able to do this for a very long time to come.

10. It's FUN. This is probably my number reason. The fact that the hobby is fun is key and it is fun on so many levels. If you are not having fun flying, you are doing it wrong.

I hope you've enjoyed my list. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons why the hobby is so well loved, so feel free to reply and let us know what your reasons are.

Aug 20, 2018, 10:40 AM
Electric_RC
I agree it is fun and a good clean hobby. I have always loved watching those big passenger planes take off and land. I find it amazing they can even get off the ground. Really enjoy trying to have the most scale takeoff and landing.
Aug 20, 2018, 10:41 AM
What, Me Worry?
Quote:
the RC hobby is a heck of lot less expensive than flying in real planes
Jason, do you think that RC airplanes are not real? They do exist, I assure you!
Aug 20, 2018, 11:40 AM
Josh J.
Quote:
3. Spending Time with Friends. While flying alone is still fun, nothing beats getting together with your buddies and spending a day flying, talking and laughing at the field. It's funny how you can meet someone at a flying event or your local field and become instant friends in aviation.
This is probably my number one. Getting a group together and spending a whole day at the field tops almost any other activity I do. Grilling, flying and hanging out with friends is a ton of fun.

Combine that with some friendly competition, and your in for a great day!!
Aug 20, 2018, 11:49 AM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbu1
Jason, do you think that RC airplanes are not real? They do exist, I assure you!
Lol! Nice one.
Aug 20, 2018, 02:10 PM
"I will return" Federico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Hi, My name is Jason Cole and I am a radio controlled hobby addict. I can stop at anytime, but I DON'T WANT TO!!!
LOL!! Where are all the RC Anonymous meetings? Ha! Trick question. They're at your local RC airfield (or pond, or track), but we meet to encourage our addiction!

Number 3 is a big one for me as well. As much as I love to fly, and need to practice for competition, I'm always disappointed when arriving at the field to find no one there. I get enough time alone in my basement working on my planes into the wee hours of the morning.

As soon as I learned to fly I wanted to compete, but never had the courage until recently, 36 years later! Here are my reasons for why I fly IMAC.
Last edited by rclad; Aug 20, 2018 at 02:33 PM.
Aug 20, 2018, 03:38 PM

Why I like R/C

After 60 years in the hobby' I still agree with every one of your reasons along with:
I've learned a lot about Aerodynamics, woodwork, Metalwork, Electronics, reading drawings,
proper assembly methods, and most importantly, how to have fun.
Aug 20, 2018, 04:01 PM
"Mongo like beans"
Hi my name is Matt and I have an rc flight addiction too.
There is a joy in overcoming gravity and mastering the wind that is hard to describe to someone that has not done it
Last edited by maddmatter; Aug 20, 2018 at 05:38 PM.
Aug 20, 2018, 07:46 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
I find RC flying to be an incredibly potent antidepressant. Sunset is a beautiful time. Taking off nicely, doing 3D maneuvers well, and then greasing the landing gives me such a sense of peace and accomplishment. I often find myself thanking God and feeling incredibly blessed when I'm flying.

Tom
Aug 20, 2018, 07:56 PM
Arrowhead
Add fresh air & sunshine to the list!
Aug 20, 2018, 08:10 PM
Does it have invasion stripes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Add fresh air & sunshine to the list!
+1

I fly nearly every day on my way to work. I have access to a not so secret spot that is completely available at 7:00 am. It is on the edge of a nature preserve that goes on for acres. There is something to be said for the serenity and solitude I feel with just the plane, the radio, and me. It helps me start my day with a big grin and a nice outlook on things. Co-workers walk up all the time and ask, "Did you fly this morning?"
Aug 20, 2018, 08:17 PM
AeroDan
To duplicate the science of aerodynamics/aeronautics in miniature (affordable) form. To me, that’s what makes it fun.
Aug 20, 2018, 09:05 PM
I'm in it for an investment, I enjoy buying high & selling low
Also, some maiden flights, double as an EKG (saves me a trip to the doctor)
Latest blog entry: Goldberg Eagle 2
Aug 20, 2018, 09:25 PM
Fly and let Fly!
I just don't want my money anymore....
Aug 20, 2018, 09:25 PM
"Mongo like beans"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
I'm in it for an investment, I enjoy buying high & selling low
Also, some maiden flights, double as an EKG (saves me a trip to the doctor)
LoL

Quick Reply