Jul 06, 2021, 04:42 PM
Didn't mean to put 3 of the same pic
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2021, 06:36 PM
Old !Bold Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgers72
It's got the carbon fiber! The ply is thin and weak so I definitely think it needs it. There are a few spots where it needs more glue that I noticed so I'll be checking as much as I can and regluing where necessary. No complaints here though, the value for dollar is unparalleled as far as I know. Yes some things could be better but the servoless retract package you get would almost if not would be the cost of the kit itself!!
Happy Flying
Chris
Nice! I don't think I'll be assembling for a while, too many projects... my eyes are too big for my time and space. Ugh.
Aug 09, 2021, 12:09 PM
Checking to see if anyone has flown the new carbon fiber version. Really thinking about picking 1 up for electric 12s. Anyone have any feedback they want to offer on the latest versions?
Aug 09, 2021, 12:45 PM
Old !Bold Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair44
Checking to see if anyone has flown the new carbon fiber version. Really thinking about picking 1 up for electric 12s. Anyone have any feedback they want to offer on the latest versions?
A club member flew his "new carbon fiber version" powered with a DLE 55 Side Exhaust.
I took the stick for a short while. It flew fine, and seemed predictable and gentle. It wasn't particularly fast with this setup, but definitely plenty of power. It slowed down nicely for gentle touchdowns. The electric landing gear worked fine, except that the rigging on the gear bay covers was a bit tricky to get working properly without binding.
Sep 28, 2021, 03:41 PM

Wheel size

I'm hoping someone can do me a favor and measure the diameter of the stock wheel that comes with the kit and post it here?

Thanks guys!
Last edited by []TEX[]; Sep 28, 2021 at 03:43 PM. Reason: title
Oct 04, 2021, 08:44 PM
I measured at 5” in my newest version of this plane
Oct 04, 2021, 10:48 PM
Old !Bold Pilot
A club member installed a Saito FG60R3 radial in this Phoenix 30cc P-47. He had to cut two sides of the cowl out to clear the cylinder heads. However, it didn't require as much added nose weight, if any.
It flew great and sounded awesome. I wish this engine fit within the cowl better. I'm still planning to go with a DLE55RA.
Oct 05, 2021, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkal
A club member installed a Saito FG60R3 radial in this Phoenix 30cc P-47. He had to cut two sides of the cowl out to clear the cylinder heads. However, it didn't require as much added nose weight, if any.
It flew great and sounded awesome. I wish this engine fit within the cowl better. I'm still planning to go with a DLE55RA.
It fits in the Top Flite version just fine. I wonder if it would fit in the big Seagull "Wicked Wabbit" without cutting. I hate cutting cowls... like HATE it... one of the best things about electrics if you can't find a motor that'll fit in the plane without cutting.
Oct 15, 2021, 09:32 AM
Guys, I'm a little confused about this P-47 from Phoenix. Is the fuse now composite? Wings too? On the Tower website there is no mention of this. Or on the Phoenix website either. They did increase the price recently from $499.99 to $574.99. Perhaps this is why....

Mark
Oct 15, 2021, 11:34 AM
Old !Bold Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by six_50s
Guys, I'm a little confused about this P-47 from Phoenix. Is the fuse now composite? Wings too? On the Tower website there is no mention of this. Or on the Phoenix website either. They did increase the price recently from $499.99 to $574.99. Perhaps this is why....

Mark
Tower prices went up across-the-board. Phoenix models definitely all went up. They were at incredible prices before, and now the current prices are 10-20% higher, but minus tower coupons the prices seem reasonable.
The current 35cc P-47 version has carbon laminated wood/Balsa plywood used extensively in the fuselage, which also has a much larger top hatch than the previous version. I havenít looked at it for a while but I believe there are some carbon fiber reinforcement laminations done around the landing gear attachment points. If you havenít already, I suggest scrolling up in this thread and looking at the pictures posted.
Oct 15, 2021, 12:52 PM
Thx for the explanation. That hatch looks like goes all the way past the cockpit. Any pictures of the assembled model? I hope the scale outline hasn't changed!!

Mark
Nov 03, 2021, 09:28 PM
scale outline? it is 1.75 inches too narrow
Nov 05, 2021, 09:38 AM
Failure is not an option
The new hatch setup looks to very beneficial. I am finishing mine with the original fuse/hatch and it is a pita to get it all in there with the little hatch on top. Doable, but the big hatch design looks to be much more user friendly.

Quick Reply