Aug 19, 2018, 08:51 PM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP
New Product

Phoenix 30cc P-47 Thunderbolt New Version PH141

Im starting this thread in preperation of my upcoming ARF bash of this new offering to a P-47N. I did a past bash on the original H9 first 60 size ARF by adding the root extensions to each wing half and trimmed the tips, added working inner gear doors and applied a new scheme.
Having nearly the same dimensions as the 30cc H9 i am using that build thread as a rough guide. I plan on sticking a DLE55 up front and maybe swinging a 4 blade but yet to get there. First things first, I dont plan on adding root extensions as its a plug in wing and it wont be that noticeable but i will cut back the tips and add the dorsal and move that antenna. I really wish i could find a H9 30cc canopy but those spare parts are long gone. Shame on you Horizon on discontinuing another fine ARF. So for some idea of my goal, here are a few pics of my first Chautauqua Princess.
Last edited by sam51401; Sep 07, 2018 at 06:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2018, 10:07 PM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP
The newest version, PH141, shows now in stock at Tower. Mine should ship tomorrow or Monday.
Sep 07, 2018, 06:29 PM
Would you post up your opinion of the included retracts when you get the arf opened up for inspection? Nice plane for $500 if the retracts are good. If they aren’t good and I need to pay out as much as the arf for a new set of retracts, then not so appealing for me. Thanks if you can do that. Jon
Sep 07, 2018, 08:32 PM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP
Glad to. As to the retracts, I have read the other Phoenix threads that use the same units and the reports have been favorable. My main reason for this purchase is the two piece wing that Top Flite has never adopted for their planes. I had the GS P47 kit built Razorback and just got tired of the one piece wing in transporting and storage. I would like to have got the H9 30cc but the fools discontinued it.
Sep 09, 2018, 12:07 AM
I ordered mine this morning. It appears to be a lot of airplane for the money compared to Top Flite which is on backorder till whenever. I have a DL 50 and Slimline muffler set aside. I hope the retracts are fair to good quality which will make it a steal for an 80" warbird.
Latest blog entry: Building and Flying
Sep 12, 2018, 07:57 PM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP
Shipped Tuesday and received Wednesday. I only was able to get the manual out and also to check the cowling as i will explain.
The box has the sticker that represents the earlier P47 and as i seen that, i started to worry that something got fowled in the ordering. So i went for the cowl as it does show that its more of a scale representation than the prior version, i was not disappointed, it is the newer less deep, more scale proportioned cowl.
Ok i am breathing easier! I have not gone through the manual fully yet but there are things that really got my attention and I cant wait to get back into it.
Lets see, hinge points, yes Robart "style" hinge points on the surfaces.
Control horns, what control horns? On the flaps and ailerons, there are hidden horns on the flaps, like TF did on the GS flaps. Oh and the hinge points also like TF. The ailerons have a small balled rod end type of short double horn to mount. Did i say balled rod ends, yes.
Sorry i cant give any further details but i will try to post some pages from the manual tomorrow. Seems Phoenix may have acted on some suggestions and added several new ideas to this newer version.
Sep 12, 2018, 09:52 PM
Wow, sounds great. I hope to have mine tomorrow and I will try and get some pics going.
Sep 12, 2018, 10:57 PM
Mine is on the way. I am glad to hear of the upgrades.
Sep 13, 2018, 11:59 AM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP
Some snaps of the manual on various points of interest.
1. The short horns will possibly need good digital servos to help in centering and resolution being short coupled as they are.
2. To install these horns, i thought that extra security could be to add slightly longer screws with a preinstall to form threads, thin CA the hole, then use epoxy for final install.
The elevators are the only surface that uses a conventional horn for each half. Just for the brief overlook and manual layout, this looks to be a good choice. As i did not have the prior version, i can not state as to the pros and cons between the two. I believe they did do their homework and incorporated some interesting upgrades based on pictures of the other versions build in its thread.
On the rudder i do believe the first version did have an offset hinge wiht a one center pin wire hinge, I thought tht would be nice to have in arf but they went with pin hinges on this one.
Sep 13, 2018, 11:40 PM

Good job Tower for listening

It seems all aspects of the model are robust and well built. Pics to follow.
Heavy retracts and hardware.
Sep 13, 2018, 11:42 PM
Solid heavy built cowl
Sep 13, 2018, 11:43 PM
Detailed cockpit and well built fuse with what really looks like real glue.
Sep 13, 2018, 11:48 PM
It’s been a while since I unveiled a foreign arf but it looks like it is built well and if you take a little caution to the wind it will handle anything you throw at it.
I sized it up to my Byron 47 and It’s the same or bigger in most dementions and appears to be a lot lighter.
Sep 14, 2018, 07:32 AM
Fly more Foam
Thread OP
Im planning a DLE 55 as i think it would suffer from the under powered symptoms of my TF GS 47 on a US41 that it came with. Talk about flying on the wing and a prayer.
I have a turbine build working at the moment and why i cant start hard into this built/conversion as of yet. Im looking forward to it and the rebirth of Chautauqua.
What are your first thoughts on the control horns as they are and servo requirements since they are not conventional per say?
I believe digital for sure and centering maybe a higher needed requirement over conventional horns and installs. Their "standard high torque" call out leaves one to wonder.
So metal gear train and least amount of play or back lash to be a higher priority than torque? Torque wise, 160 + should cover that you think or can a lesser value be considered?
Inquiring minds would like your thoughts.
Sep 14, 2018, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the pics! Would you mind showing some cowl measures, I wonder if a saito 60 radial would fit??? around 70mm back from the front lip of cowl need about 210mm across the wider upper section

Thankyou in advance!
Last edited by Show 871; Sep 14, 2018 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply