Aug 16, 2018, 08:51 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Discussion

'Fancy Pants' for OZno P

Before I get too involved, can someone please help me with some information on this model. OZ information suggests this was originally produced as a free-flight model in 1954. The plan I downloaded from OZ is obviously not the original drawing and was 'Presented Free with Aeromodeller Issue 740 in 1997'. Try as I might, I cannot find a copy of 'Aeromodeller Issue 740' or any Aeromodeller information at all on this one. Is there someone out there who may be able to steer me in the right direction or maybe provide a scan for anything on this?

Getting started .... So far I have prepared my basic wing and tail construction drawing. My method is to draw just one wing panel and have that printed - one copy positive and one reversed so I end up with a reasonable pair for not a lot of drawing effort. In this instance I have made a few subtle changes from the original. I have gone with a full 'D' box wing. This method using 2 x 1.5mm balsa strips as T.E in conjunction with cap-strips on all ribs makes for simple ribs with notches for the spars only. Very straightforward building - no messing around with diagonal bracing of gussets and the finished result is pretty strong in my experience. I have also moved the spar position forward a little in order to cut the the top and bottom LE. sheeting from one sheet of 100mm balsa.

Next step is to cut some cardboard rib patterns and get on with the ribs - maybe this afternoon ...

Alan W
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2018, 08:54 PM
AW looks like fun I will be following you.
Aug 16, 2018, 09:45 PM
watching...
Aug 16, 2018, 10:52 PM
Intermediate Multi
Intriguing.
Aug 16, 2018, 11:20 PM
Hi AW,
I have the later Aeromodeller with the free plan.
I also have a full set from 1954 so I'll check both for you.
There certainly was no plan published in 1954,, but there might be a photo somewhere.
Aug 17, 2018, 12:24 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Subscribed
Aug 17, 2018, 06:01 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
I like the looks.
Aug 18, 2018, 03:52 AM
AW, I've grabbed the 1997 issue and I would say there will be nothing to find in 1954 as it is not directly referenced, just a couple of vague descriptions of a FF plane 45 years ago and also a CL plane with a rear cockpit.
Anyway I'll scan it for you at work on Monday.

It is a cute design, I have considered it several times.
Aug 18, 2018, 04:05 AM
If I remember correctly the free-flight version of Fancy Pants was one of the many and varied designs that Peter Holland produced in the 1950s but was not published at that time as a plan. Whether the 1997 published radio model is the original free-flighter retro-fitted with radio or a new build of the design is not clear. So acceptability under the 1970 or earlier deadline would be the decision of the guy running the build off, i.e. Bruce. My own view on such marginal cases was normally to give the benefit of the doubt to the builder, and as it seems certain that a version of the design did exist well before 1970, in this case (especially as it is such an attractive model and I would love to see AW render a version to his customary impeccable standard) I would personally be inclined to accept it, but as I said it is Bruce's call.
Aug 18, 2018, 05:07 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B
AW, I've grabbed the 1997 issue and I would say there will be nothing to find in 1954 as it is not directly referenced, just a couple of vague descriptions of a FF plane 45 years ago and also a CL plane with a rear cockpit.

Hi Warren,
It was the quirky design that appealed to me - I noted the 1954 ff comment, and rightly or wrongly the project is underway. I`m keen to see what you come up with. I`ll be at OH at the end of next week - hang on to your scan and perhaps we can yarn about it then.....

Hi George,
As above - I`ve made a start. Ribs are now cut. Unfortunately, there are plenty of diversions ahead for me and this one promises to be a slow job. I`m happy to go with whatever Bruce decides - if it complies I will continue publically - if it doesn`t I`ll continue offline at my own pace...

Alan W
Aug 20, 2018, 02:32 AM
Scans as promised.
Aug 20, 2018, 04:08 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Quote:
Scans as promised.
Thanks, Warren. Downloaded and perused .... I have had a soft-spot for Pete Holland`s designs for quite some time. This one promises to be just as quirky .... I trust I can do it justice ....

Alan W
Aug 20, 2018, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky
. I trust I can do it justice ....

Alan W
Judging from the job you did on the Bi-Play Alan I don't think there is any doubt that you will......
Aug 20, 2018, 08:35 AM
Quote:

Shades of Blue Pants? (Henri Stouffs, Criterium of Aces, 1953/54)
Aug 20, 2018, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k k iyer
Shades of Blue Pants? (Henri Stouffs, Criterium of Aces, 1953/54)
Or Henry J Nicholls' New Junior Monitor? https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4404

Quick Reply