Empire Hobby - Flysight ViewOptix HD Goggle - HDMI/DVR

Check out the next evolution of an FPV headset/goggle many of us already know and love. The ViewOptix has a lot of additional features we have been asking for!

Splash

Flysight ViewOptix HD 5.8GHZ Google with HDMI and AV DVR

I have been using Headplay style googles since they first came out. This style headset is not too expensive and gives you a big view of what is happening in the sky. Over the years I have pined for more options and I'm excited to report that the ViewOptix headset has checked off all my boxes!

One big thing to note is that these are not copies of the HeadPlay headset. Empire Hobby insisted that Flysight go directly to Rangevideo (makers of the HeadPlay goggles) and sign a license agreement allowing this product design to be produced. The plastic frame support from the corners to the middle are different, the control button locations are different, the receivers/antenna mounts are different, and more.

What's in the box?

Features

• Dual diversity receivers Automatic switching to Antenna / Receiver
  • Auto scanning function for fast and easy channel searching
  • Supports AV and HDMI source DVR (HDMI DVR maximum input resolution supported is 1920*1080P @ 60HZ)
  • Low Latency 1024x600 Display, with No Blackout / Blue Screen if Video Signal gets low
  • Adjustable Lens Focus Focal distance can be adjusted with a simple dial on the bottom of the unit
  • Support AV and HDMI In Use with an external receiver for long range, or simply enjoy a movie or playing a video game
  • NTSC/PAL mode Auto Switching auto-recognizes the format and displays the image properly
  • Includes Standard 5.5mm Barrel Type connector and Extensions for use with XT60 and Barrel type Power connectors

Empire Hobby - Flysight ViewOptix HD Google - HDMI/DVR (4 min 49 sec)

My Thoughts

Dual receivers is something I have wanted on this headset for a while. Now you not only have two receivers but two antenna options. While the unit comes with the standard antennas you can always upgrade for better reception.

DVR - Man I have always wanted a built-in DVR on a headset like this. You need a USB drive or, like me, you can use a USB SD adapter. I used the micro SD option since the way the USB slot is placed I couldn't get a full sized SD card to fit. This worked fine on the headset and on my computer.

The DVR menu can be tricky to access. You need to get in the manual and make sure you fully understand how to navigate the menus. Then you need to practice before you get to the field. More than once I thought I was recording when I wasn't. So practice before you get in the air.

Emprie has stated that they will work on the DVR Menu to make it easier to use in a future (free) firmware update - NICE!

Auto Scanning - This is very simple to use and very effective. One button push for the scan and the headset locks in. I used this headset on multiple aircraft on our day at the field and had no problem finding the right channel. Love it!

The Screen - My unit was very dark. I jumped into the menu and increased the brightness and everything looked awesome! I suggest you do this before you are in the air!

Feature Photos

Specifications of the ViewOptix HD VOHD720 Head Mounted Display:

LCD

• Resolution 1024x600 7 Diagonal
  • Contrast 700:1
  • Brightness 350-380 cd/m2
  • Lens Focus Distance 50mm 80mm (Adjustable)

Power

• Input: 7.4 VDC 25.2 VDC (2S/3S/4S/5S/6S Li-Ion/Li-Po Compatible)
  • Current Draw 15 Watts Max

Wireless RF System

• Frequency: 5.685ghz-5.945ghz (ISM Band)
  • 40 Channel/Bands: A,B (Boscam),E,F (Fatshark),R (Raceband)
  • Sensitivity: -90dBm (1dBm)
  • Antenna Port: 2 X RP-SMA, 50ohm
  • Diversity Type: Receiver / Antenna diversity Switching
  • TV System: NTSC/PAL (Auto)
  • Video output level: 1.0Vp-p Typical,75ohm
  • Audio output level: 1.0Vp-p Typical,10Kohm
  • DVR Supports up to 128GB USB / SD Card Drive (FAT32 File System), 10 MB/s Recording Rate MPEG Compression 60FPS, .AVI Format (Auto Save when Power Off)

HDMI Input

• Supports up to 1920x1080P 60HZ (HDMI 1.4a)

Menus

Conclusion

I have had multiple sets of goggles like these and this is the culmination of all of them. All the things I have wanted are on this set. Having an onboard DVR is super handy. The scan feature came in handy over and over for me. The stock antennas worked fine for the backyard. As FPV pilots I know we tend to upgrade everything we can. I have piles of nice 5.8 antennas so I did use my favorites for some rock solid reception (see video). The USB SD card worked fine in the googles and in my computer. The foam of this unit seems different. More dense maybe, definitely an upgrade. The only thing that gave me troube was getting around the menu and the getting into the DVR. Be sure to have the manual handly until you really get it down.

These things are keepers and I'm excited to have been able to review them. I want to thank Empire Hobby not only for thinking of us but also for all the support they give to the hobby.

Learn More!

Head over to Empire Hobby now for pricing and to learn more about the ViewOptix HD!

Aug 18, 2018, 12:49 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Why do they keep going with MPEG compression? H.264 or even H.265 produces better video quality.
Aug 19, 2018, 07:15 AM
No audio out???
Aug 20, 2018, 01:33 PM
Average Joe 2 Semi-Pro n Back!
Hi Kev! That is a great question. They do have audio and video output through RCA Dongle.
Aug 20, 2018, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Why do they keep going with MPEG compression? H.264 or even H.265 produces better video quality.
Hi Sabin,
They commonly choose this method as it requires a lower bitrate and keeps the requirements of the recording media reasonable. H.264 or H.265 require much higher processing power and recording rates to achieve the increased compression rate, and thus the video conversion and media recording speeds become a factor. It is simple to record using that method on a PC, but not so easy with the low power mobile device chips in use on products like this. It is a balance of Power, Battery Consumption, and Cost. Also, Mpeg 4 is more widely used than say H.265 - so it is more universal
Aug 21, 2018, 09:35 AM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Which means lower quality dvr footage. I would happily pick this headset up even if it was a few dollars more if it included a bit more powerful dvr hardware. Even low cost smatphones have hardware h.264 support these days.

Hate to say it but low quality dvr just can't cut it anymore. We have cameras that are getting near high def resolution now, and a low quality dvr bitrate just murders the quality. So it's a dealbreaker for me, I'm afraid.
Aug 21, 2018, 09:42 AM
Unfortunately, it is mainly a limitation of making the hardware removeable. Having to stream anything onto a removable disk is the limiting factor here. Even a low quality smartphone has high speed memory built in, and costs much more than the hardware here.

On another point though - even once past this issue - it is the analog transmission that is hurting the definition at that point. A high def camera is limited by the bandwidth of the analog video system. This is why professional rigs have gone to digital in order to stream high def - and the hardware is way more expensive, heavy, and size limiting
Aug 21, 2018, 09:54 AM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Maybe in the next version, there will be support for sdxc cards and usb 3/3.1 thumbdrives? The prices on those are dropping fast.
Aug 22, 2018, 08:59 AM
Agreed! I will ask them to work on that suggestion
Aug 22, 2018, 02:28 PM
Hey Jim T how do these compare to your original Headplays? I have the Headplays too and switched to the Transformer but they're not very comfortable. Is this a worthy upgrade?
Aug 22, 2018, 09:28 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL62
Agreed! I will ask them to work on that suggestion

Thanks a million for the active participation and the time to answer my concerns. I'm sure everyone appreciates it.
Aug 22, 2018, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Thanks a million for the active participation and the time to answer my concerns. I'm sure everyone appreciates it.
Absolutely glad to help !
Aug 25, 2018, 10:22 AM
$280? Woof....
Aug 25, 2018, 03:22 PM
I've got GAS
Has anyone even noticed that the thread title says "Google" instead of "Goggle"? Nice one there JimT.!!!

Now send me my free pair for noticing...hahaha
Last edited by WarrenD; Aug 26, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
Aug 27, 2018, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly
$280? Woof....
Is that good or bad...LOL

Quick Reply