Aug 15, 2018, 05:32 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Thread OP
Discussion

FAA reauthorization bill?

Just got an email from one of my senators (Joe Donnely). There is an excerpt I find a bit concerning (I forwarded the email to the AMA government relations person).

Quote:
Similar to Section 336 of P.L. 112-95, S. 1405 includes a provision that would prevent the FAA from creating any new regulations regarding an unmanned aircraft operating as a model aircraft if the aircraft is flown in accord with certain requirements. These requirements include flying the aircraft strictly for hobby or recreational use; operating the aircraft in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines; the aircraft is not flown beyond the visual line of sight of the operator or those in direct communication with the operator; the aircraft is not operated in a manner that interferes with any manned aircraft; model aircraft flown within 5 miles of an airport requires the operator to provide notice prior to the operation of the aircraft; the aircraft cannot be flown more than 400 feet in altitude, except under special conditions; and the operator must first pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test administrated by the FAA.
I have met this guy twice and he seemed like a reasonable enough guy but he is definitely not getting my vote now.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2018, 07:42 PM
I re read the write up. Not sure when the FAA required test is required. Is it required when flying over 400 near an airport or does it ally all the time. This is typical government double talk.
Last edited by old1104; Aug 15, 2018 at 08:00 PM.
Aug 15, 2018, 07:49 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by old1104
Well it looks like flying gliders may take a big hit ... not fly over 400ft.
IMAC, Jets & Giant Scale as well, lots of stuff goes over 400', especially if it's 2m or more in span.
Aug 15, 2018, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
My read is they are proposing all flyers of model aircraft need to take and pass a FAA exam of some sort and that no flying above 400 feet without a FAA waiver (similar to the process for high power model rockets). That is my read based on what I got from my senator.

Like I said, I forwarded this to the AMA. I am sure they are already aware of this and have a strategy in place to try to address it.

Ryan
Aug 16, 2018, 05:12 AM
Red Merle SJ VIII
See the semi-colon after manned aircraft;

This stuff is still very poorly written from airspace classes point of view.

Curtis
Aug 16, 2018, 05:37 AM
AMA 79169
+1 what Curtis said.

It is not clear if the semicolons are separate 'checklist' items for flying (in general) or if they define separate conditions or flying situations.

-=Doug
Aug 16, 2018, 07:15 AM
I like the part at the beginning that says the FAA will not be allowed to draft new regulations.

I do not like the conditions that include operations below 400 ft, and an "aeronautical knowledge test." To me those conditions are not applicable to model aviation but are more appropriate for commercial drone operators.

Hopefully the AMA will do their thing and protect our interests.

-Dave
Aug 16, 2018, 09:19 AM
Had a client of mine take the on line commercial drone test. He said it was a joke. The questions were pretty much about safety and any one with common sense fouls answer. And if you missed one they gave you another chance to answer it again.
Aug 16, 2018, 05:14 PM
Duane, LSF IV
On a somewhat related note:

Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) - Model Aviation magazine (5 min 47 sec)
Aug 16, 2018, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Just got an email from one of my senators (Joe Donnely). There is an excerpt I find a bit concerning (I forwarded the email to the AMA government relations person).

I have met this guy twice and he seemed like a reasonable enough guy but he is definitely not getting my vote now.

Ryan
What a shocker. Democrat = big government. Save our sport - vote Republican in November.
Aug 16, 2018, 07:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmr
What a shocker. Democrat = big government. Save our sport - vote Republican in November.
There are Republicans that have been problematic towards model aviation too.

Ryan

P.S., been a minute, Bryn. Good to hear from you again.
Aug 16, 2018, 07:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

Like I said, I forwarded this to the AMA. I am sure they are already aware of this and have a strategy in place to try to address it.
I heard back from the AMA. They are saying that the 400 feet part of that email (aka what currently appears to be the Senate part of the re auth bill) is apparently in relation to non CBO flying. So that is OK. The test thing is a problem and they say they are working on that one.

Ryan
Aug 16, 2018, 07:19 PM
Quote:
There are Republicans that have been problematic towards model aviation too.

Ryan

P.S., been a minute, Bryn. Good to hear from you again.
Bad apples in every camp but don't lose site of which direction the Army's marching.
Aug 16, 2018, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmr
Bad apples in every camp but don't lose site of which direction the Army's marching.
I dislike both armies.

Ryan
Aug 16, 2018, 11:23 PM
There's no way except luck that the power's that be are going to be able to enforce this. It's like the police at a crime scene or an accident they just write up a report.

Quick Reply