Aug 15, 2018, 04:47 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Poll

Would you build a wood kit and if so please state your age .

Guys/girls , curious about something !
I am 58 , been into the foam for about 4 years and recently ( last two years ) been accumulating wood kits already build from great modelers that have unfortunitly passed . These models have reminded me of craftsmanship, light weight and quality that simply is not existent in many ARFs . Now buying unbuilt kits !
I lead the pack on the benefits of ARFs including the “no time” , I run two businesses from the top down , hands on with major expectations and China pipeline with no filter on when they contact me .
However recently when seeing some of the old kits , especially the gems like the Top Flight Bearcat sell for ( ebay ) $315 + close to $35 in shipping , this list originally was around $149 lol , Gold Edition Corsair on EBay $335 ect.
I am wondering if under limited release Horizon could bring back some of the kits ?
Considering lasor cutting exist in the USA , the business model would be subcontract with a kit cutter , release a limited amount , pre sell only so Horizon is protected in the investment outlay , nothing but a safe sale !
They then the prebuy for 30 days , everyone understands no one will be shipped until the MOQ is made ( minimum order quantity ) when sold out (if sold out ) , there gone until nest production if a next exist !
First suggested kit
Top Flight Dora
Second -read box Bearcat
THird -Red box zero
These kits demand the most in the aftermarket , so not looking for the unusual , looking for what will sell !
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2018, 07:01 AM
HobbyKing
Always. I started with my first build @ 14 and always enjoy a good balsa build.

S.
Aug 15, 2018, 07:55 AM
Retired US Navy
61. No.

Been in the hobby since I was 8 and did a lot of building and even designed a few planes. I have planes still flyable I built in the 1970's. That said I'm not interested in building kits anymore. I may repair a crashed balsa plane ( I have one to rebuild this winter) or bash a ARF into something else but no box up builds.
Aug 15, 2018, 08:30 AM
40's. No. Not at this stage anyway. Too much else going on, and my preference in RC is much more heavily on the flying side. I love warbirds and all, but I'm perfectly happy with PNP foamies...
Aug 15, 2018, 08:49 AM
42. Yes but know nothing about them and gas engines. Just got into RC planes. I didn't get in sooner because I knew nothing about gas engines. Once the battery technology got better and I could fly scale electric planes, I got interested.
Aug 15, 2018, 11:20 AM
Arrowhead
52. Yes! ARFs are handy but building in & of itself is enjoyable. And some planes just aren’t popular enough to get ARF’ed.

More for your list:

TF Sea Fury
TF P-39
Aug 15, 2018, 11:54 AM
DFS#000178
35. This is on the board right now.

Aug 15, 2018, 12:06 PM
So many planes, so little time
58 No

Don't have the time or patience to build from a kit. I did that as a teenager, so been there, done that. Now I want to focus on flying proven designs, put together by people with the skills I have long forgotten.
Aug 15, 2018, 12:12 PM
Head NEAT geek
60 yes, but probably not again until I retire. Last wood model I built was actually mostly from scratch:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...09-takes-shape
Aug 15, 2018, 12:33 PM
55. Yes. I almost always have something on the work bench. I don't hate ARFs, I have a couple of them but my preference is for things you don't see every day. I don't have any idea how many kits that Horizon would need to sell to fit within their business model but cut on demand is a workable business model for my local kit cutter.
Aug 15, 2018, 01:15 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Wow great comments guys !
I guess my eye opener is picking up a gold edition kit built at 8.5 lbs vs the 1700mm FMS Corsair at 10.5lbs !!
I know epo flys great but 2lbs !!!!! More !!!
Aug 15, 2018, 01:29 PM
No problemo...
54. Yes, I still enjoy building and like kits of planes that aren’t ARF’ed (better to be unique). I still (sometimes unfortunately) have the attitude that I’d rather build a plane than buy the ARF (although I bent that rule with the Tigercat I just bought - that would have been a ton of work in balsa).

Rob
Aug 15, 2018, 01:47 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Ram what is that plane ?
Rob and others , i found that when I cant get out to fly I feel like I have missed the hobby , the building is allowing me to enjoy the hobby . I plan on a non -rushed are so I can build , get tired , leave it alone and start fresh again .
I am hopeing these kits are not gone for good !
Tom very cool thread you got there !
Aug 15, 2018, 02:01 PM
Electric Coolhunter
61 here. I would build a balsa kit if it was an interesting enough model and if it was “off the beaten path.” Zero chance I would build a balsa Cub or P -51.

More likely to scratch build something not available as a kit or an ARF. Again, it has to be interesting to me and uncommon.

I have nothing to prove by building as my full time job is professional model builder. That is one of the reasons I enjoy ARFs. I am not hugely motivated to come home and spend the evening sanding after spending the day sanding...
Aug 15, 2018, 02:54 PM
63. Always like to build with balsa from either a plan or kit but also like to buy myself a ARTF every so often. I have had health problems this past six months and looks like i will not be able to work again so i am going to have a lot of time on my hands so i can see more builds coming along.

Quick Reply