Dec 19, 2004, 11:56 PM
Thread OP

any interest in a build thread for a PBY Catalina?

ok i know that i am getting a PBY Catalina for darehobbies.com for xmas. I just wanted to see if there would be any interest of me starting a build thread on it. i have noticed that there is no information about this kit on the web, well other then from darehobbies. Darehobbies said this was suppoesed to be a great balsa kit with lots of vacumed formed parts so i can't wait till xmas! thanks jeff
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2004, 12:26 AM
Suspended Account
Does a bear do-do in the woods? Are you kidding? I would love to see it.
Dec 20, 2004, 12:52 AM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Has to be one of my favorite planes - please, please do a build thread

Pete H
Feb 16, 2005, 07:38 PM

I am already building this model

Jeff, i am building this model right now, and having tons of fun, and some challenges!
I intend to do retracts on the floats, and the wheels if I can. I would love to talk to you on how you are doing.
Feb 16, 2005, 07:59 PM
Tree Hater
Post some pics. We'd love to see how you're doing!
Feb 16, 2005, 09:40 PM
I think you know what you've got to do, Jeff.

Might be better in the Scale Modelling forum though?

-James.
Feb 17, 2005, 03:35 AM
I'm just getting started on an Ivan Pettigrew Mini Cat at 80" span. Ivan calls this a pond flyer, his version of a park flyer. This will be my second Cat in PBY 2 form. The first being a much modified version of a Canadian Easy Built kit. Mine came out at just under 3 pounds and flew too fast at full throttle on two direct drive Speed 400's with 7 X 1000 mAh Nicads for power. Props were Graupner Semi-scale.
Feb 17, 2005, 04:14 AM
Yeah ! for sure, go on !
and post some pics
Feb 17, 2005, 12:44 PM
Semper Fi, Do or Die
Here's a thread by Kensp on his scratchbuilt Cat over in the Waterplanes forum. You might consider moving your thread over there if there is enough interest.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241606

Bob
Feb 21, 2005, 11:47 AM
Thread OP
hey steve, sorry i couldn't get back to you sooner just got back from Cancun, mexico last night. I just got married! but anyways i have finished the wings and the body, well just the cores anyways now its time to start with the basla sheeting and start to figure out if i am going to do retracts on the gear. the floats i already have figured out but i'm not sure on the landing gear since it might load the plane with weight. i was thinking of just using gear like on the the pby-3 that are removable just to make it easy and able to remove the weight if it is to much...i will attach a pic of how i was thinking of doing it. but for those that wan't the build thread i already have 120 pics! i will start to narrow them down and get one going this week. sorry for the wait. and steve i would love to hear you ideas!
PBY with removable gear
Oct 03, 2017, 08:18 PM
Let us know where you put the buiild
Oct 03, 2017, 09:10 PM
Mine is from an Ezbuilt kit several years ago and powered with a pair of speed 400 brushed motors.
Oct 09, 2017, 07:17 AM
I did a Guillows conversion way back when.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ion#post950890

It was a twitchy bird, I should have enlarged the tail feathers.
Oct 12, 2017, 01:04 PM
Recommend you do a build thread on Scale Kit and Scratch Built Forum. You'll get lots of interest, advice and help there.

Take Parkflyer forum guys along with you.

PS, Just checked, there was a previous build thread for a Dare PBY on Scale Kit and Scratch Built forum. That's a good thing, use search to find previous build thread on that forum.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Oct 12, 2017 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply