Aug 12, 2018, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Program Taranis X9DPlus so left throttle stick reads zero at center position.

I apologize for posting this here but Iím not having any luck in the radio section of the forum. My radio is a Taranis X9D Plus set to mode 2 and flashed to OpenTx 2.2.2. I built a new drone from scratch about six months ago and have been flying it with my current Taranis X9D Plus radio. I have switches setup for Arming the drone, Angle Mode, Horizon Mode, Acro Mode, Air Mode and Barometer/Alt Hold.

I purchased another Taranis X9D Plus flashed it to OpenTx 2.2.2 and cloned it from my other radio in OpenTX Companion. I opened the new cloned Taranis X9D Plus radio case and backed the retaining screw out of the M9 gimbal so the throttle stick on the left side would center. Now when you turn the radio on it say's throttle warning "of course", because the stick is now centered.

I need to program the second Taranis radio so it sees the throttle level at zero when the stick is in the center position. I have read through a lot of information on Input's, Mixer and Output's in the model section of the radio and I believe the answer is in the mixer setting's but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

I understand everyone fly's the left stick in mode 2 with no spring tension and so do I but this radio is for younger children or inexperienced pilots flying Altitude Hold and that's why I want the stick centered on the radio. Betaflight is already configured for Altitude Hold on my FC I just need to get the radio programmed so I can start calibrating the radio to the drone.

Can anyone point me to a link that shows step by step instructions on how to setup the left throttle stick, on a Taranis X9D Plus, so the throttle reads zero when the stick is centered and in mode 2. I need the radio to see that stick at zero throttle before I can arm my drone and enable the barometer. Please contact me via email if you have an answer or link to share.

Thank you for your time and help.

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2018, 04:59 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
This does really belong in the OTX thread ... unless you are doing setup of a custom flight controller and then the issue may cover a thread for that as well.

First, when you say read as zero - in percentages the throttle should already be doing that. Below center is - and above is + readings.

You should also be able to see the micro second readings in the output tab on the TX with center at 1500. If you could somehow set that to 0 it wouldn't do anything, I suspect. The range is typically 1000-2000 from bottom to top.

An AH flight controller will generally have an idle setting and then movement of the stick increases or decreases height via a change in blade speed performed by the flight controller taking control of the ESCs as needed to hold level and/or change height.

I'm using a B03 with altitude hold. My TX left stick isn't centered or spring loaded, but I use it like it is and not having a problem. I have throttle warning checked in the Setup tab, but you can change that if that is not what you want.

I also created a custom curve to make throttle changes at center less sensitive (like expo on ailerons) and have used it with both regular quads and the B03. There is a tab for that.

EDIT: Be sure to take your props off when testing and then don't be afraid to see how the motors react as you raise or tilt the quad in concert with stick changes.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Aug 12, 2018 at 05:07 PM.
Aug 12, 2018, 05:08 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Sometimes it takes more than half a day to get an answer to a technical question.

Your question is more likely to get noticed by soneone that can help in the Radio section.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Aug 12, 2018, 05:14 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Sometimes it takes more than half a day to get an answer to a technical question.

Your question is more likely to get noticed by soneone that can help in the Radio section.
Yeah, not even an hour and cross-posted in multiple threads ....

Quick Reply