Aug 17, 2019, 08:51 AM
Thread OP
Well its been a while but I'm back on the Dindi. To be honest I hit a stumbling block with the tail as it all looked a bit flimsy and I couldn't really see at the time how best to proceed. In the meantime I got sidetracked with a couple of other builds and the Dindi has just been getting in the way being shunted from one bench to another a bit unloved and slightly battered in the process as bare boned models seem to do.

Anyway I can't stand having an unfinished model cluttering up the place so it's do or die and I couldn't bring myself to chuck it in the bin so I'm going to cobble it togther as best as possible even if that means a bit of bodging!

So this weekend I've glued the wayward bits back on and added all the remaining stringers. I've decided to infill at the tail with some very light sheet balsa to strengthen it up and then sand that to suit.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2019, 08:57 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Good for you Albert, it would be a shame to waste all that work when you have an almost complete airframe, I'm sure you will be able to come up with solutions to any problem areas. And it will be good if Steve finally gets his picture for OZ!!
Aug 17, 2019, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
Thanks George, I shall press on with it and get it finished before the end of autumn to hopefully catch a nice calm sunny day for the maiden before winter sets in.

I took note of something you said sometime back about wishing that you'd retired a little earlier even if that meant a sacrifice to standard of living etc so this year I decided to go part time just working three days a week and its been the best thing I ever did. So far this year I've built three models and have a much more relaxed pace to life, can get out and enjoy the sun when its shining too!
Aug 17, 2019, 09:28 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Great to hear that Albert, in this day and age we are sometimes forced into choosing the need to earn money over a decent lifestyle. I have been "en retraite" as they say here for 13 + years now and wish I could have done it earlier. You inevitably become less physically able as the years pass, and certainly at 78 there are many things that I can no longer do - long walks in the country, 600 mile non-stop drives, heavy duty DIY, climb slope soaring hills (or ladders!), 1000 metre swims to name a few - but I have a nice "proper" flying field 10 minutes away, good flying friends both French and English and so far the thumbs, eyes and brain are still working OK and the reflexes are OK for the type of models I enjoy flying (i.e. no pylon racers!!) so I reckon I am lucky. I also have a nice little workshop and can enjoy building even if at a slower pace than formerly. So just make the most of your extra leisure and enjoy. I am reminded of the story of the young bull and old bull who were sharing a field. Eyeing up a group of comely heifers in the next field the young bull said excitedly "Hey, let's run over there and have a few of them" "No," replied the old bull, "let's WALK over there and have them all!"

Quick Reply