Parkzone T-28 Trojan 1.1m BNF Basic with AS3X and SS - RCGroups Review

Introduced over 10 years ago, the beloved Parkzone T-28 has returned to the flightline.

Splash

Our good ole' boy is back!

Product:Parkzone T-28 1.1m BNF
Wingspan:44"
Length:36"
Motor:480-size 960Kv
ESC:30A
Battery req:3s 1800-2200mAh
Prop:9.5x7.5 (2 included)
Radio Used:Spektrum dx8e
Price:$169.99
Available from:horizonhobby.com
PDF Manual:Click Here

Back in the day when electric aircraft were just becoming mainstream, Horizon Hobby released a lineup of great planes under their Parkzone brand. They were typically known for being good looking airplanes without all the frilly features that would break the bank, and still be great flying aircraft. Around 2007, the original Parkzone T-28 was released and quickly grew a loyal following. Sized perfectly to fly about anywhere, using a common battery size, aerobatic yet stable, the T-28 was a great choice for most any experience-level pilot.

A decade later, the T-28 is still a favorite airframe with sport and military pilots everywhere. Horizon has since released several versions in different sizes & livery, including the popular big Carbon-Z T-28 that I've had in my hangar for a few years (and still love flying it!). Recently, Horizon re-released the good ole' Parkzone T-28. The great news is, since it was such a fantastic flying airplane, they made no changes to the airframe! Virtually everything, except the new AR636A SAFE Select receiver is identical to its 2007 edition. We could continue dreaming about past days, but now that the past is right back in-front of us...let's snap out of it and take it for a spin, shall we?!

See others' thoughts on the Parkzone T-28 in the primary discussion thread.

In the Box

As you can see, the Trojan is nicely tucked away in its foam packaging with everything locked in securely via several foam cross-bars taped in. The part count in the box is very low, which makes assembly time very fast. You'll be getting the following parts & accessories:

• Fuselage
  • Wing
  • Horizontal stab
  • Wire landing gear & foam wheels
  • Spare prop, clevis and clevis keepers
  • Bind plug
  • Screws/bolts
  • Clear tape pieces

Inside the fuselage are 2 small Parkzone servos, an AR636A SAFE-Select with AS3X receiver, and an E-Flite Park 480 motor with 30 amp ESC up front. The ESC battery leads use an EC3 connector. The wing is ready to go with 2 more small servos, pre-hinged ailerons and even the control rods are connected.

The entire canopy serves as the hatch, which gives you plenty of room to access your electronics and battery. There is a foam divider between the ESC and receiver with a hole in the middle, which serves as a retaining sleeve for your battery. The battery slot is intended to have the battery pushed as forward as possible for correct CG. Depending on the size of the battery used, you may need to trim off some of the foam on the bottom of the canopy hatch to allow it to close fully.

Assembly

With the actual assembly directions covering 3 pages with pictures, virtually anyone should be capable of getting the Parkzone T-28 from box to done in under 10 minutes. It took me maybe 15, which included stopping and posing things for pictures!

Start off by bolting in the wing. There are only a few bolts in the box, you'll need the long one. These are M3 bolts, in case you ever need to replace them. Make sure you feed the aileron servo leads into the hole in the fuselage before bolting on the wing. Then slide the rear landing gear wire into the hole before pivoting them rewards until they snap into their channel. Take a Phillips screwdriver through the hole in the cowl and back out the screw in the nose-gear bracket a few turns. Slide the nose gear wire into the bracket. It may take a little wiggling to get it through all 3 parts of the bracket. When it's all the way in, tighten the screw onto the flat-spot of the gear wire.

Now slide in the horizontal stabilizer. Check with a ruler to get it centered, and then use the 4 pieces of tape to secure it to the plastic bracket on the fuselage. Then, carefully attach the clevis to the elevator surface horn. Make sure to slide the keeper tube over the clevis to prevent it from accidentally popping off in flight.

Assembly done? Already?! Yep! Charge the battery, bind the receiver (with SAFE mode activated or not per the instructions) and go fly!

Transmitter Setup w/ the Spektrum dx8e

Horizon was kind enough to send me their new dx8e to try with the Parkzone T-28. This transmitter is the perfect match for the T-28. While you don't need 8 channels for this little parkflyer, it allows you to easily handle the vast majority of other planes available that you'll add to your hangar in the future.

After binding the T-28 to the dx8e with SAFE Select ON (for more details on this, see the "Using SAFE Select" section below), all that was needed was to setup some rates & expo. I typically start with a low->high range of 60%->100% and 20->35% expo. The programming UI screens haven't changed much, which makes this part of the setup very quick if you're familiar with Spektrum.

Completed T-28

Flying

Using SAFE Select

There are currently 3 variations of SAFE available on aircraft from Horizon Hobby. The Parkzone T-28 comes with Safe Select, which is the simplest version, offering self-leveling and roll/pitch bank limiting. Binding with SAFE on is simply done by pulling the bind plug from the receiver before binding it to the transmitter, in my case the Spektrum dx8e. Once bound, the plane will twitch-cycle all of the surfaces twice to indicate SAFE mode is active. Finally, you need to select what switch you want to use to activate SAFE by holding both sticks to the bottom inner corners and toggling your selected switch five times. With SAFE Select, there's only on and off...not 3 skill modes like SAFE has, so any 2 or 3 position switch will work. Typically, the "A" 2 position switch normally designated to "GEAR" is a good choice for SAFE Select. The airplane surfaces will blip, letting you know the switch selection was successful. You can verify that SAFE is active by pivoting the aircraft and confirming the surfaces deflect in a manner that would right it in air (ie: by banking the plane left, the right aileron should go up, and the left aileron down). With that complete, you're ready to use SAFE in flight!

In flight with your SAFE switch activated, your pitch and roll will be limited to about 80 degrees no matter how far you push the sticks. This limiting factor helps keep a newer pilot from getting into unsafe attitudes. The second benefit of SAFE Select is self-leveling. Anytime the pilot releases the stick inputs with SAFE activated, the T-28 will automatically return to perfectly flat & level flight. Pull up into a climb, release the elevator and it will pitch the nose down until level; bank into a right turn and then release the stick, the T-28 will bank left until level.

Where SAFE becomes even more useful, is keeping it off until needed; as a sort of panic switch. By keeping the SAFE switch off, you're getting the benefits of AS3X, but can pitch & roll as you like. But the moment you get disorientated you can flip your SAFE switch and have the receiver auto-right the plane for you. Keep in mind it won't prevent itself from flying into a tree...but as long as you have sufficient altitude and clearance from obstacles your plane will quickly return to a safe orientation at which you can continue flying with SAFE on or off.

Finally, you can even use SAFE to help assist with takeoff and landing. The T-28 is plenty easy to takeoff, but with SAFE active it's basically hands off! With the Trojan aimed down the runway, you can simply throttle up and watch it lift itself into the air. As for landing, the reverse works just about as well. Once lined up with the runway at a low-ish height, you can simply cut your throttle (with SAFE on), and watch the Parkzone T-28 gently glide back to Earth wings level. I did find though, that some small throttle and/or elevator adjustments especially below 5 feet can help soften the landing a bit.

Takeoff & Landing

Even with SAFE off, taking the Parkzone T-28 off couldn't be much easier. Very little rudder was needed on my Spektrum dx8e to keep it on course (wind dependent), and it has more than enough power to get off the ground in just a few feet. Once off the ground, flight control is easy and predictable. If you're feeling uneasy about takeoff, say in windy conditions, switch SAFE on and roll out with the confidence that Spektrums technology will safely get you into the air.

Landing the T-28 is also very predictable. It has a great glide slope and the slight dihedral helps keep the plane stable at lower speeds. This makes for a perfect plane to practice touch-n-goes with on a nice evening! Simply line it up, slowly lower your throttle and give a little flair with the elevator at the last seconds. Note the stock wheels are a little small, so landing on grass might result in a tail-flip.

Basic Flight

Flying the Parkzone T-28 Trojan around the pattern is a joy and very relaxing. It flies very stable and predictably. You can easily fly around at half throttle, which can help extend your battery life. Speaking of which, you can expect to get 7-10+ minutes on a 2200mAh pack, depending on throttle usage. I was easily able to get over 10 minutes on a pack with gentle flying, mild aerobatics and a bunch of touch-n-goes. It's a wonderful thing, when you can find an electric bird that can fly over 5 minutes on a pack!

Aerobatics

The T-28 was designed to be a military trainer plane, and as such is capable of aerobatics. The Parkzone T-28 is no exception. The Trojan handles rolls, loops, snaps and spins very well. Mind you, they won't all be fast and super crisp like an Edge or Extra, but it is certainly capable of enough aerobatics to keep it entertaining. Rolls were mostly axial, and the Trojan was able to hold a knife-edge across most of the field with just a little altitude loss. Spins from altitude were gentle with a predictable exit once controls were released.

If you're new to aerobatics and want to work on them, using SAFE mode is an excellent recovery option if you get discombobulated. We did some testing, and no matter what attitude we put the T-28 into, activating the SAFE switch immediately put it back upright and level within a second or two. Then, you can simply switch it off and go right back into your aerobatics training. What a great way to learn!

Formation Flight

If you haven't yet tried formation flight, especially with warbirds...you're missing out on some good times. While it can be a little tense as you focus on separation and depth perception, it's very rewarding when you get 2 or more planes locked in and flying the pattern. The T-28 makes this feat really quite easy. Simply match your speed and focus on keeping sky between you as you work to stay steady in your place in the formation. Communication between pilots is a must, and the lead pilot needs to fly a steady and consistent pattern without any sudden moves. What makes this even better with trying formation with the Parkzone T-28, even if you manage to connect enough to cause damage, it'll likely be easily fixable, or if not, the replacement parts won't cost you too much. If you get the chance to fly together with another T-28, I highly recommend trying formation flying!

Flight Review Video

Flight Photo Gallery

Summary

Our good ole' boy is back! The Parkzone T-28 is a classic that is just plain fun to fly. It's one of those planes that you just know how it'll fly, know how it'll react, and that lets you have more fun with it! It's a predictable flyer that's very stable in the air with or without some wind. It has plenty of power, and enough authority on the control surfaces for your typical sport aerobatics. It's a fantastic plane for doing touch-n-goes one after another. Not much has changed on this plane since they brought it out over 10 years ago, and that's because it's perfect as it is! The addition of the AS3X receiver with SAFE Select only opens up this airplane to more possibilities and more pilots. If you don't have one of the originals in your hangar, now is the time to catch up and get your own. The Parkzone T-28 deserves a spot in everyones' hangar as a sweet flying aerobatic military trainer. And if you are in need of a transmitter, the new Spektrum dx8e is a perfect match for the T-28...and many others!

Hits

• Good size to take & fly almost anywhere
  • Flies just as great as it did 10+ years ago
  • Common 3s 2200mAh battery
  • Stable & predictable flight characteristics
  • Sport aerobatic capable
  • SAFE can be a great backup when disorientated
  • You can fly this at warbird events!

Misses

• The extra foam on canopy bottom can interfere with the battery
  • Wheels might be too small for landing on thicker grass
*Thanks to my pilot Larry Lewis for helping with the review flight!

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Aug 25, 2018 at 04:35 PM..
Sep 21, 2018, 01:57 PM
I think it's time to fly.
That was my first plane when I began flying RC ten years ago.

Too bad it didn't have SAFE then.

But of course back then as it is now. . it can be repaired and spare parts (such as cowls) are available.
Latest blog entry: All things that fly.
Sep 21, 2018, 02:30 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
That was my first plane when I began flying RC ten years ago.

Too bad it didn't have SAFE then.

But of course back then as it is now. . it can be repaired and spare parts (such as cowls) are available.
This was my first "large" plane (non-UM/UMX plane). I picked one up off Craiglist with a battery, re-glued nose and some other damage to boot. Considering I had never flown anything this big and had no idea how it would handle, I'm happy to day it survived it's first take off and landing under my watch. After that airframe was finally retired, I picked up the E-Flite re-issue which I still have and love flying. It really is one of the tried and true parkflyers from Horizon.
Sep 22, 2018, 07:57 AM
And landing in grass still can pull the main LG out. How did you hold both sticks for the SAFE and toggle a switch 5 times? I love this plane.. I did notice that inverted, the wings did a little wiggle with the SAFE on. On mine, the rudder servo had only about half the throw the other servos had. I tried to increase rudder throw on my Dx6 but could not get it to go. So I just re-assigned the Rx channel and problem fixed. All said and done, the T-28 and Dynam Waco are my favorites to fly.
Sep 22, 2018, 08:56 PM
Right Rudder

Motor Type - Park Zone 480 (Plastic Front Bell or ALL Metal)

Gentlemen,

I came across this thread just now and a few days ago I came across another thread stating that there has been issues with the STOCK motor of this "RE-RELEASED" Parkzone T-28 (NAVY) 1.1M (44-Inch wing span) Trojan.

Of course the "RE-RELEASE" comes in the Horizon Hobby / E-Flite Box labels instead of the Park Zone.

The most significant post that I made over at this "other" thread citing issues with the STOCK Park Zone 480 960Kv motor was at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=30

You can read the entire 3rd page discussion here!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...or-Issue/page3

Hopefully, someone with the "RE-RELEASED" Horizon Hobby / E-Flite T-28 (NAVY) Trojan can give us more detail in terms of pictures of the motor.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Sep 23, 2018, 02:39 PM
Love my t28... its had countless crashes and spent a few weeks in a tree and still flies great. Im sure this will be a winner as the wildcat with safe select is brilliant. safe mode makes hand launches a non event
Sep 23, 2018, 03:37 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecheesemiester
Love my t28... its had countless crashes and spent a few weeks in a tree and still flies great. Im sure this will be a winner as the wildcat with safe select is brilliant. safe mode makes hand launches a non event
Yes indeed.

I Love my 8+ year old ParkZone T-28D (Airforce) that has had countless crashes and one major mid-air.

It still is flown every opportunity that I get to go at my RC Club field.

I really wish that Horizon considers to re-launch the Airforce version as well.
Sep 24, 2018, 07:37 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42
On mine, the rudder servo had only about half the throw the other servos had. I tried to increase rudder throw on my Dx6 but could not get it to go. So I just re-assigned the Rx channel and problem fixed.
I had the same issue. I was told its a firmware issue on the receivers that they're working on getting out to everyone.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Oct 05, 2018, 05:49 AM
This is just one of those planes that I hope to ALWAYS have in my hangar so long as my eyes and my thumbs are still in tact.

This plane represents the ultimate in "balance" for PNP/BNF airplanes. It looks scale but not at the cost of flight characteristics, it has aerobatic capabilities but just enough dihedral, light wing loading and thick airfoil to make it a tame, relaxing floater. Somehow, it's also just slippery enough to put up some respectable speed numbers if you're inclined to throw a bunch of power at it.

My previous T-28 from a decade ago went through a number of stages as I improved as a pilot, ultimately running a 900W (roughly 3x stock) power setup and it was fun at every stage. Being older and wiser, my newest copy has remained 100% stock and serves as a wonderful FPV platform (with the video gear affixed to an extra canopy). This plane has countless flights on it and remains a satisfying flyer both line-of-sight and FPV. It has held up beautifully, only needing to have the landing gear re-glued once and the paint touched now and again.

So great to see that HH has seen fit to keep this basically faultless flier in its lineup. With the addition of SAFE, this may just be the ultimate aileron trainer and optimal first Warbird pick.

Fly in good health, guys.
Oct 11, 2018, 03:34 PM

Awe, Memories! I Bought Original T-28 11 Years Ago!!!

I just saw an email today from RCGroups.com Reviews and happened to scroll through it and saw the new T-28 Re-release!!!

I still have my original T-28 I bought this month 11 years ago and I still love it! It was the RTF and everything still works but maybe I will pick up this re-release since it will work with my DX9 and I won't have to use the old FM Tx (lol!)

Only bummer is I doubt the new Rx will support x-port that allows me to use the Aerial Drop Module in my original T-28. That makes this plane a lot more fun!

Here's a blast from my past...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=178

...so looks like I may have to go back to my LHS to pick up this new version!
Oct 11, 2018, 04:37 PM
It's time to buzz the tower
I guess that receiver is designed for beginners who don't really know how to fly but it doesn't replace proper airmanship skills which is something every pilot needs if they want to progress onto something without all the bells and whistles
Oct 11, 2018, 06:30 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Itsnklkn, its not the receiver per se...its the SAFE Select mode programmed into the receiver that you're thinking. Thankfully, you can bind it without that active, or toggle it via a switch. Of course, nothing replaces the value of a qualified instructor.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Oct 11, 2018, 10:37 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
Gentlemen,

I came across this thread just now and a few days ago I came across another thread stating that there has been issues with the STOCK motor of this "RE-RELEASED" Parkzone T-28 (NAVY) 1.1M (44-Inch wing span) Trojan.

Of course the "RE-RELEASE" comes in the Horizon Hobby / E-Flite Box labels instead of the Park Zone.

The most significant post that I made over at this "other" thread citing issues with the STOCK Park Zone 480 960Kv motor was at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=30

You can read the entire 3rd page discussion here!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...or-Issue/page3

Hopefully, someone with the "RE-RELEASED" Horizon Hobby / E-Flite T-28 (NAVY) Trojan can give us more detail in terms of pictures of the motor.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Okay, just as I suspected, the STOCK motor that comes with the Re-Introduced T-28 Trojan is ALL METAL.

Someone that just got one was kind enough to share!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&postcount=36
Oct 13, 2018, 08:41 AM
Ah this was my favorite plane before moving to sailplanes. The price is still the same, so I might just have to pick one up for old time's sake.
Oct 14, 2018, 09:05 PM
I say to anyone reading the review and the replies above, all true! One of the better flying planes I have ever had. Both line of sight and FPV. Have run entire batteries just doing touch'n'goes. As a guy who has had high turnover with planes, this one has been with me for over 2 years since I got it. That says a lot!

Don't hesitate to pick one up.

Quick Reply