Aug 09, 2018, 06:30 AM
Discussion

Best foamboard/depron fighter build

Hello,

Through the masses of depron fighter designs I am finding it hard to pick a proven design that is going to fly well for my first depron fighter build. Can anyone suggest a definitive, good flying design? All the F22 plans look different with the only consistency being the general shape.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2018, 09:14 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Fighter design ?

Piston, jet aircraft ?

Tractor, prop-in-a-slot, pusher motor location ?

Size (max/min) ?

Built up fuselage and wing , or profile fuselage and flat sheet/Kfm wing ?

What motor/battery do you have ?

Life gets complicated

P.S. Most planes fly only as good as the builder/pilots capability. Even the 'best' model can be turned into a 'pig'.
Aug 09, 2018, 11:11 AM
I have a fair few sheets of Depron, so other than using that I don’t mind what the plane is like. I quite like the F22 prop in a slot plan from rcfoamfighters. However there are so many different variations of the F22 plan I was hoping for some advice on a good starting point.

Motors and batteries can be adjusted around the plan.
Aug 09, 2018, 01:30 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Unless you have a fair bit of flying experience, an F22 may not be an ideal model.

Have you looked through the 'Sticky' thread -- Plans For Scratchbuilt Foamies -- for something that interests you.

An easy way to just look through the pictures in that thread, (going through all the posts can be a pain), --- at the end of the thread title is a symbol like a 'paper clip', click on it and it will just show any picture attachments. Then if a model interests you, click on the picture to enlarge, and at the bottom is an option to 'View Post' for more details.

If you are a beginner, I would recommend building a model specified as a trainer, something like -- EzFly by 'balsa or carbon' -- obviously not a 'fighter', but a good way to 'walk before running'. My apologies if you already are an experienced flier.

Aug 09, 2018, 08:08 PM
Retired CAD guy
The F-22 Planform is a winner at any scale.

Mig-29 is fast agile, if you are up for it.

They are almost ALL 3 channel easy to fly Yack and Bank fliers !

RCG member , TOMHE , has several proven designs that you should search out.

Although many CNC cut , foamy kit cutters have come and gone,
I still do it as a retirement activity.
That business has tapered WAY OFF in recent years.

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Aug 09, 2018, 10:40 PM
I'll second the F-22 profile prop slot!!! I've built and flown from 12" to 20" F-22s. First, they are VERY simple to build and can be built VERY light. Motor, ESC, two servos, batt, and you're in the air. Very good slow flight stability and can be flown in very tight spaces. You can go with the bare bones basic plan to get going and move up in complexity. All share the same flight characteristics. You can check the attachments in my profile for smaller WS plans. Have FUN!!!
Aug 10, 2018, 06:28 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
The f-22 prop in slot will be the best and easiest to build in my opinion. The Tomhe plans are very good, he uses a slot and tab design that works well. The one thing that I don't like....and it's just me, I like super simple builds....is he has the nose bent down to copy the way the actual F-22 is built. I just like the simpler flat build, but once again that's just me. His profile designs do match the actual planes more than others that I've seen. His mig is a fun one to fly also.
Anyways no mater wich profile type fighter jet you chose just keep in mind that the nose is always the first thing to break off in a crash, I always reinforce that piece in my builds.
Aug 10, 2018, 06:40 AM
+1 about Tomhe profile jets. Are easy to build, flight and repair.
I built f18 , mig29, su35, eurofighter and f22 and the last one is the most relaxed of them because the big wing surface.
I know neither is a good trainer like a ez or blue baby but are decent to learn and have fun. My first plane was a F35 profile from Rcpower and survived the first flight and used a lot of time. Btw rcpowers.com has excellent park jets with great build manual, excellent community and lot of info, and their planes flight great and looks really good too. it's worth every dollar it cost.
Aug 10, 2018, 07:35 AM
Also, once you built the profile a couple of times you can enhance the appearance more if you want, fairly easy to do. Pictures shown not mine, just exampled of what can be done.
Aug 10, 2018, 07:59 AM
Oh, and just to prove how easy they can be to fly. I built this large version out of boredom and was even able to hand toss it.....won't lie and say it was easy tho.....but built light and these planes kinda floats out of your hand.
Last edited by Timbo383; Aug 11, 2018 at 07:20 AM.
Aug 10, 2018, 08:34 PM
Thats great, thanks guys. It's always good to know your starting with a plan that people have had success with. I wont be able to print the plan until next week but I shall let you know how I get on once it is completed.

Quick Reply